Help with glue and 3d prints

Hello everyone!!!

since i bought my ender 3 v2 i keep thinking about 3d printing a model of Santisima Trinidad after i sketch it in Fusion 360. My problem is, after i print the keel, the frames, the decks etc how to glue the parts (hull's length around 78 cm ).
My thought is to not print with basic PLA filament, since it have a low melting temperature (around 60-70 degrees if i remember correct) and inside the glass case in warm days maybe exceeded.
I found an ABS glue from Tamiya, so maybe ABS is one viable option, but i am thinking maybe PETG is a better option since its not so hard as ABS to print.

Does anyone tried to glue PETG? Can i glue with tamiya's extra thin cement? If not what glue can i use?

Thank you very much for your time!

Hello everyone!!!

since i bought my ender 3 v2 i keep thinking about 3d printing a model of Santisima Trinidad after i sketch it in Fusion 360. My problem is, after i print the keel, the frames, the decks etc how to glue the parts (hull's length around 78 cm ).
My thought is to not print with basic PLA filament, since it have a low melting temperature (around 60-70 degrees if i remember correct) and inside the glass case in warm days maybe exceeded.
I found an ABS glue from Tamiya, so maybe ABS is one viable option, but i am thinking maybe PETG is a better option since its not so hard as ABS to print.

Does anyone tried to glue PETG? Can i glue with tamiya's extra thin cement? If not what glue can i use?

Thank you very much for your time!
Hi Ioannis,

I am definately not a 3D printing expert, but we have one onboard, he is a pro.

You can find his work here.

@SZKUTNIK Hi Kris, maybe you can help here?

PLA has a melting point of between 180 and 200 degrees centigrade.
It is prone to warping in extreme heat and will eventually degrade in sunlight but coating in various paints/varnishes would form a barrier.
Superglue/cyanoacrylate is great for gluing PLA together. Some people also add bicarbonate of soda as part of the technique to form a stronger bond still.

Thank you all for your answers!!
You can find his work here.
I read the entire thread and i have to say that SZKUTNIK 's work is magnificent !! A lot of work on these hulls!

CR glue is best for PETG and PLA
CR glue is the glue you 're using with hot glue gun? or did I misunderstood? Well in this case I 'll gonna have problem with small parts since it will be seen.
My plan is to build the ship with the one side open so you can see the interior (cannons etc) so I cant have patches of glue. This is a photo of my previous design that I abandoned ( I had mistakes) :
Screenshot_5.png

PLA has a melting point of between 180 and 200 degrees centigrade
You are correct, my fault, I was referring to Glass transition temperature, 3d Prima 's technical data they write 60-62 ° C

Thank you all!!

I use PETG for everything and have successfully glued large sections I.e. a 500mm deck printed in 5 sections, with both CA and epoxy. The only real downside to PETG is that sanding it takes some elbow grease, but it does sand to a very nice finish. I’ll post an update on my Cutty sark later, keep an eye out and you’ll see my results.

Ps. I like that idea of having a frame to allow a view of the interior. As the tricky bit with printing a large hull is the section joins (if there isn’t a frame), this will certainly make glueing easier.

Thank you very much!!
The only real downside to PETG is that sanding it takes some elbow grease, but it does sand to a very nice finish
How do you post-processing PETG for gluing? I mean, with what number sandpaper do you sand the parts? Is it better to be rough?
And can you paint after? for example with vallejo primer and then airbrush?

Thanks again!!

Hi Ioannis, I use this stuff; it's a mesh 'sandpaper' that I discovered when I was doing some wall plastering a couple of years ago, and it is excellent for PETG.

I've been posting a cutty sark log this afternoon here https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...ark-1-96-with-3d-printed-modifications.10370/
You might find some of it useful and do feel free to ask questions.

I've been sanding down to about 180 grit and find this is smooth enough for a 'wood' effect finish. It paints very well, I mostly use Vallejo model air and primers.

1661701766714.png

Thank you very much!!!

Your build log seems very interesting and i will keep watching!!

Back