Help with inclined ladders

Hi. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what tool and process to use to bend each individual tread on 1/350 scale inclined ladders? I can't even fit a pin between the treads to even them out with the deck and just end up bending the ladder out of shape when trying to accomplish this. I have ruined the first two I have attempted so I'm hoping I can get some help from the forum. Once the railings are bent to shape they are so delicate that I am having a problem even trying to hold them. If I bend them on the sprue I don't believe I can then use my bending tool to bend the rails so I don't know what the best order of bending is. I'm new to this and this has me stumped. Is there a specialized tweezers or other tool that is small enough to fit between the treads? Thanks in advance for any input.

Thanks. I must need a different type of tweezers, mine do not fit between the steps. Maybe one of these companies that sell micro tools has a set that is extra thin.

Thanks. I must need a different type of tweezers, mine do not fit between the steps. Maybe one of these companies that sell micro tools has a set that is extra thin.
Hello Chris. Look for the one similar to the one on below picture

Z0x-9zncpIx_.jpg

I made a tweezer that has about a 1/16" flat tip. It fits just inside the pre-folded rails. The wider surface gives it more purchase on the step rather than focusing the pressure on one very tiny spot that the conventional tweezer does. Then I sharpened the jaws so one tong will slip between the rungs. I rip through those little vertical ladders fast and with no problems.
I have that set from Micro-Mart, while nice, they didn't provide me with an answer to this problem.

I still haven't figured it out. I literally must have bought 20 different tweezers and I continue to ruin the ladders. Nothing I have been able to purchase fits between 1/350 rungs. I used my grinder to to something similar to what you did but I will have to revisit that again as it didn't work out for me. Especially the Gold Medal ladders, they have no relief at the sides of the rungs so I just deform the whole thing when trying to bend. Tom's ladders have a thin spot at the sides of the rung that gives way first and are a little easier. I find it's a choice for me, leave them alone and have them straight, or bend the rungs and have the ladder deformed. I guess there are some things certain people just can't do. Maybe I'll try modifying another tweezers. Thanks for the response.

Is it possible that you are not bending the rails in the correct spot. The point where the rails and the steps meet is microscopic. These gigantic pictures are the tweezers I use. They are not totally squared off (sorry for the lousy description in my original) but they work. Good luck.

theIMG_20200509_112624413.jpgIMG_20200509_112737236.jpg

I still haven't figured it out. I literally must have bought 20 different tweezers and I continue to ruin the ladders. Nothing I have been able to purchase fits between 1/350 rungs. I used my grinder to to something similar to what you did but I will have to revisit that again as it didn't work out for me. Especially the Gold Medal ladders, they have no relief at the sides of the rungs so I just deform the whole thing when trying to bend. Tom's ladders have a thin spot at the sides of the rung that gives way first and are a little easier. I find it's a choice for me, leave them alone and have them straight, or bend the rungs and have the ladder deformed. I guess there are some things certain people just can't do. Maybe I'll try modifying another tweezers. Thanks for the response.

Try a hemostatic clamp I have one with a tip just under 1mm. They are very strong and they lock too.

These are the two brands of ladders. The Toms have reliefs at the edges to allow the tread to bend. The gold Medal is solid all the way to the ends. Even if I can get something in there to fit I find the Gold Medal just distorts the ladder because there is no weak point to bend. The whole tread just twists and deforms everything. I know it's my inability because I see models with these looking great...I'm doing something wrong. The other picture are just SOME of the tweezers I have bought and modified to try and get one to fit in there. I have a bunch more and just ordered another watchmakers set today. I don't know how much I have spent trying to get something to fit in there. I am at a loss on how to do this lol. It may just be something I never master.20200509_115234.jpg20200509_122833 - Copy.jpg20200509_122833.jpg

This is one of the Gold Medal ones I started and gave up on. When I twist the tread the rest of the ladder gets mangled. Like I said it's something beyond me! That photo etch set was over $70. I can't afford to keep ruining these ladders so I will have to put them on the model with the treads straight. I have done just about every other kind of PE and been able to get it done...except these!bent.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Chris, I am afraid to tell you the truth, but the Gold Medal versions of ladders (the one you show above) are not designed to bend! No matter what tools will buy, you will get a fiasco. :( Those ladders are not designed to bend. Tom's (the one on the top right image - Yes. They have the notch and designed to bent.

Thanks Jimsky. At least now I don't feel so bad. I could not for the life of me figure out how to bend them when there didn't appear to be a score mark on the treads.

Back