Help with Port Jackson Schooner 1803 by Model Shipyard

Hi,

I have inherited a Port Jackson Schooner kit by Model Shipyard from a elderly gentleman at our church, who began the kit many years ago.

He has always intended to finish it, but unfortunately he has moved into a nursing home and with his failing eyesight and steady hands, he sadly can't finish it.

I thought it would be a nice gesture to finish it and have it displayed in his room.

This is my first wooden model ship, but have plenty of experience in other types of scale models.

My first question, is this model intended to be double planked. If so, which material is used for the first layer, and which is used for the second

Sorry to be such a newbie, asking these types of questions, but I figured this would be the place to ask.

Thanks for the assistance in advance

Kind regards

Welcome aboard SOS, Will.

For the first planking, the kit manufacturers usually supply cheaper wood planks. I don't have the exact species names but I would assume it is lime wood. It should be cheap and flexible. In my old country, we use Linden wood. It has exactly the properties required. The first layer of planking is usually thicker, to give a good base. It is also assumed you might require to shape prior to finishing planks. For the finishing planks, you will use timber that will make your model gorgeous. Just remember, that the timber you will use should be flexible enough to contour the hull. I like to use Pearwood for finishing planks. It changes the color after you oil it, and beautifies the model. Some of us use veneer as well, it comes in many species to choose from and is flexible because of it thickness.
However, if you intend to paint or copper the hull, it doesn't really matter what timber to use, it will be painted ;)

Thanks for the info jimsky, much appreciated.

Would balsa be a suitable material for the first layer of planking, then the supplied "blackwood" for the second

Thanks, Will

Thanks for the info jimsky, much appreciated.

Would balsa be a suitable material for the first layer of planking, then the supplied "blackwood" for the second

Thanks, Will
I am not familiar with 'blackwood, thought. However, balsa is not the wood I would recommend as the first layer planking. It is a bit too soft, IMHO. We usually use balsa as the filler material between the bulkheads. I think you can use basswood, it should be easy to bend without fracturing, you might need to soak it in water to make it more pliable.

Hi,

I have inherited a Port Jackson Schooner kit by Model Shipyard from a elderly gentleman at our church, who began the kit many years ago.

He has always intended to finish it, but unfortunately he has moved into a nursing home and with his failing eyesight and steady hands, he sadly can't finish it.

I thought it would be a nice gesture to finish it and have it displayed in his room.

This is my first wooden model ship, but have plenty of experience in other types of scale models.

My first question, is this model intended to be double planked. If so, which material is used for the first layer, and which is used for the second

Sorry to be such a newbie, asking these types of questions, but I figured this would be the place to ask.

Thanks for the assistance in advance

Kind regards
Hallo @will.smith
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Back