Help with Sails

I dont have enough posts yet to be able to put this in the beginners forum, so I am posting this here with apologies.

Looking for help with preparation of sails for my Mamoli Brittania build. So these are sheet type sails as opposed to square rigged sails.

I found some helpful videos online but most require use of a sewing machine. I dont have a sewing machine and do not know how to sew.

Can these types of sails be prepared without the use of a sewing machine?

Can anyone point me to either a tutorial or a blog/build post for preparing these sails?

I planned on putting grommets in the corners for the head, clew and tack of each sail, but what about the holes for the mast hoops? Are they simply holes punched into the sail cloth without reinforcement?

Can I use cloth glue to "double up" the sail edges instead of sewing?

If this has been discussed before, I apologize, I did a search but could not find anything on such a basic subject.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Tom

yes, it can be done... go to local sew shop... michael...ssss hobby lobby,, they have products that can be ironed on... lay strip between. sail edges and heat with iron...although looks like kaka.....go buy a cheap sewing machine.... you will be glad you did.... plus, it will last you for ever

Hello Tom, and BTW welcome aboard SOS. I am not an expert on sails but please take a look a video tutorial from one of our members, Olga does a great job on her tutorials, Please check them out...

Tom Lauria’s tutorials demonstrate the method I use in making sails out of silkspan. Closer to scale than fabric would be.

Attachments

• 1E67DB7B-F214-484D-A3D2-9BDECE4BCFFB.jpeg
    1E67DB7B-F214-484D-A3D2-9BDECE4BCFFB.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 21
  • EE8E276D-F090-4037-8481-7BE7A95A5642.jpeg
    EE8E276D-F090-4037-8481-7BE7A95A5642.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 20
My Admiral sews for me, but that’s not very helpful to others. Because my Soleil Royal did not come with sails, I purchased some from Cornwall. They were already cut to size, sewn, and serged. You might try checking there. Just make sure they’re the right size.

Yes you can do without sewing for most part.

For seem lines you can draw with pencil on fabric.

You can use dilute white glue to double over and glue edges and if you work hard, lay a thread in the fold and at corners pull loops out for clews in corner.

For holes for loops to attach to mast, just use hot needle to melt or burn thru cloth to make holes.

Of course, do all this with practice material first to get feeling for what is needed and how it works out.

Good luck and post photos of what you end up with so we can see what you have learned.

Maybe you can borrow a sewing machine, as I did. I had never touched a sewing machine in my life and yet , with a lot of care and trial and error, I managed to sew my own sails. Very satisfying, you can finish in any way you want. Up to you. Have fun.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful suggestions. I'm going to try to make them myself, a practice set as suggested, and see how I make out. A friend recommended a seamstress and I have a feeling I will end up hiring her to make the final set of sails.

Thank you all!

Tom

Back