Help with sails.

I am attempting sails for the first time so my learning curve is steep.
I am building the Black Pearl and I am up to the rigging. The 4 main sails provided with the kit where pegged to the yards to see how they looked and I considered them to be to long. The bottom of the sails hit the deck and the other ones went well passed the yards.
As I only want to sew the sails once I made up some paper sails to get the size right. I have trimmed up to 15mm from the bottom of the sails.

IMG_20210529_151247.jpgIMG_20210529_151410.jpg

The question I have is how long are the sails ment to be in relation to the yards or deck beneath them, should they be above, below or touching?
The sizes on the drawings do not look correct.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Tony

A couple of suggestions. First look up Revell's Black Pearl and look at the sails - those are realistic for shape and size. You should be able to scale to yours. Second, the paper sail models are ok for size but they do not represent the shape. Sails are not flat they have a bow in them in all directions, to recreate that shape the mast section (top) has an arc cut (not straight cut) which will create a bowed shape. I then use liquid starch and let the sails hang down to dry. Then when attached to the boom and rigging they look very realistic.

My great friend Leopoldo makes some excellent sails
With a very large balloon swollen to shape them

Attachments

• foro1.jpg
    foro1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 35
  • fprp2.jpg
    fprp2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 38
  • corbeta descubierta 3.jpg
    corbeta descubierta 3.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 40
  • for3.jpg
    for3.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 38
A couple of suggestions. First look up Revell's Black Pearl and look at the sails - those are realistic for shape and size. You should be able to scale to yours. Second, the paper sail models are ok for size but they do not represent the shape. Sails are not flat they have a bow in them in all directions, to recreate that shape the mast section (top) has an arc cut (not straight cut) which will create a bowed shape. I then use liquid starch and let the sails hang down to dry. Then when attached to the boom and rigging they look very realistic.
Thanks that is very helpful I would never have thought of the arc on top of the sail. How big is the arc? If the sail is 200mm wide what size is the arc at the centre of the sail by the mast? The paper sails are just a quick guide for size as I did not know how much to remove from them.
Thanks again Tony.

Back