help with San Juan Galleon

I am building San Juan Spanish Galleon by Artesania Latina. I am building the masts but can't figure out what dowel is for what mast anybody know.

There should be a place where it tells the diameter and the length. You then have to cut then you find that stick. Cut it to the correct length and then taper it down to the smallest diameter. It should be on the stage pictures or on the actual plans.

There should be a 1:1 plan among the plan sheets. If not you should have at least one sheet that is scaled. On the Sovereign of the Seas plans,it says that the side view plans are in scale but to find the size that the model is, you have to scale the drawing and then multiply that by 1.32. The only other thing might be that in the list of materials, some manufactures list the wood size and give the part number or name that the wood is to be used for. Other than that, you need a book on rigging that is from that period that list the way mast were made on that type of ship and then calculate it to you model scale.

GaryM said:
There should be a 1:1 plan among the plan sheets.

There is a photo poster of the ship in the kit. The masts are on the rear with part no's . The part no reference is on the other large sheet that has the 1:1 sail templates & simplified ( ROFL) rigging info.

They are 1:1 so just line them up for length, tapering, block placement etc. The mast angle is also included. Just about to finish mine...
There are NO other instructions. Once the hull is competed its go by plan only and a lot of guess work. Unfortunately the doco on this kit is VERY VERY poor...

Sorry I saw the post late but more than happy to help.

One thing to add, is that your instruction list should have the part number and description of every part in the kit. Therefore, as only an example (if you find or have found the parts list), look for something like this:

Part Number.........Type..........Quantity..........Description...............Size

000001...............Dowel..........1...............Lower Main Mast..........10mm x 300mm

000002...............Dowel..........1...............Upper Main Mast..........8mm x 150mm

This tells you that is the dowel RAW size to choose from parts stock, but not the FINAL shape. Go by the plans for the final shape using calipers or ruler.
So, get out all your Dowels and if you find a RAW size dowel that fits the measurements given in your parts list, then that is it. Then refer to the plans to make the shape.

I hope this helps.
Donnie

Back