HELP

How do you open paints that have been sitting for a while ?

I have loads of paints , mainly Tamia Colour jars, obviously they are used for specific models, so when I come to open one that's been sitting for a while, I can't budge the bloody lids :(
I will say I'm 66 and don't have the grip from a younger age, but there must be something to help open these things ?

Thank you ( in advance as I know someone will have a sution )
Jim

I've used very hot water run over the cap (hopefully to expand it some), then pliers, if you have to, on the lid, while grippy stuff helping me hold onto the bottom, youngster (I'm 80 now, I'm afraid). Whacking the edge of the lid in the direction of unscrewing with a heavy screwdriver or something seems to help some times.

I've been using Tamiya Color acrylic paint too, and have found that if I tighten the lid all the way, it becomes almost impossible to open, but if I tighten it, then back off from full tight just a little bit, it helps. Maybe because it can then move both ways, but I've had little problem since doing that. It's worth a try. ;-)

Put them upside down in a shallow tray and add boiling water up to the level of the lids - I have scalded myself too many tiles and so came up with this alternative. Then gently grip the top with mole grips and it should open. Once open, clean the gunk off the threads.

Last edited:
A piece of cling film over the jar before fitting the lid. It works every time with Polyscale, so it should with Tamiya - although I have not had a problem with the few I have. I use Vallejo paint which avoids sticky tops!

Place bottle of paint in a shallow pan upside down. Carefully drizzle a little thinner ( I often use lacquer thinner, which seems to be a universal solvent, but perhaps better to try the thinner specific to the paint, or possibly denatured alcohol) into the rim of the upside down lid, between it and the bottle threads. Let it sit for a period of time (like the walk away, come back later amount of time) so that the dried paint has time to soften. Wear solvent proof gloves. Wipe away any excess thinner. Turn the bottle over (over the shallow pan) and gently but firmly see if the old paint has softened up enough to loosen the lid. If stubborn, repeat the process. It will work eventually. If you wish, between applications use a thin flat head screwdriver tip to GENTLY pry the lid away from the threads, but be careful and NOT aggressive! Do your best to clean out the screw threads of both the bottle and top after removing the lid.

Pete

Last edited:
I have found that wiping the paint off of the top of the bottle and wiping the inside of lid when I am finished painting can minimize this issue.
Bill W.

I use a small butane lighter, quickly, works in seconds, just have to be a bit careful, never had an issue, and as mentioned above, always clean & use some plastic wrap around the neck when replacing the cap, makes a good seal. The lighter method also works with my artist oils & acrylics, then a bit of petrolium jelly around the neck. (Another tip, when I was a sign painter, we'd keep the cans upside down, any skimming would be on the bottom).

Do you apply the heat directly to the stuck cap? Artist paint tubes have plastic caps. Not clear on Hoe the heating is done. THE plastic wrap I have done before. Works well. I like the tip about the petrolium jelly.

When you do this, is the paint still usable? I've found that if the paint has sat around long enough for the lid to harden, the paint has usually gone off too.

Back