Hi everyone, I am having a problem finding Sapele colour wood putty/filler. I am in Carcassonne France I would like information where to order from

Hi everyone, I am having a problem finding Sapele colour wood putty/filler. I am in Carcassonne France I would like information where to order from. Thank you

I make my own from sanding dust mixed with glue usually PVA translucent glue. Been a habit every time I sand wood I do it over paper so I can collect the dust. I have several types that I store in small labeled glass jars when I need a certain color I just mix some up with glue. I started doing this about 10 years ago when I was having trouble finding a good match to the wood used in these ship kits. often you can spread a little glue into a crack and sand right over it the dust will settle into the crack with the glue Mix and fill all in one shot.

What are some good brands of PVA glue?

I have used various wood glues, and have heard the term PVA, but what kind of glue is it?

I make my own from sanding dust mixed with glue usually PVA translucent glue. Been a habit every time I sand wood I do it over paper so I can collect the dust. I have several types that I store in small labeled glass jars when I need a certain color I just mix some up with glue. I started doing this about 10 years ago when I was having trouble finding a good match to the wood used in these ship kits. often you can spread a little glue into a crack and sand right over it the dust will settle into the crack with the glue Mix and fill all in one shot.
Thank you for your help, I'll be collecting my dust......

I look for a pva glue that is labeled as “dries clear“ and “quick dying.“ These type glues are more commonly found in hobby and craft stores rather than hardware type stores. The quick dry characteristic usually indicates a quick tack as well which means a part will “stick” in place as the glue dries.

I look for a pva glue that is labeled as “dries clear“ and “quick dying.“ These type glues are more commonly found in hobby and craft stores rather than hardware type stores. The quick dry characteristic usually indicates a quick tack as well which means a part will “stick” in place as the glue dries.
Tightbond translucent is exactly that. I've used it for some time and I really like it for hiding glue joints in areas you can get into to sand away squeeze out like around delicate moldings. It works well as a filler additive. I've also had good results with Methyl Cellulose, but that has to be mixed and left to develop overnight before use, but it dries crystal clear I use it for windows the brand pictured is Archival and Museum Quality. It's primary use is for bookbinding, paper repair and art framing.

20201130_201634.jpg
20201130_202733.jpg

Hi everyone, I am having a problem finding Sapele colour wood putty/filler. I am in Carcassonne France I would like information where to order from. Thank you
Hallo @sixgungene
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Did you solve in the meantime the problem?

Another thing you can do. Sand some Sapele to create a pile of dust. Mix with a clear glue and use as a putty. Maybe use a belt sander or orbital sander to make rnough wood dust to use.

Back