Hi from an aspiring 3D modeller and British exile stuck in Siberia!

Hi guys!

Bit of a mouthful of a title, sorry for that. I'm an English teacher who's been working in Novosibirsk, Russia, for 5 years now. Back in September I took up 3D modelling (my second attempt) due to frustration at being unable to find accurate and yet affordable wargaming miniatures for the Age of Sail... so I figured I'd just make my own!

I've learned a helluva lot in a pretty short period of time. I've 16 ship STLs for 3D printing up for sail on Wargaming3D and spend most of my free time nowadays working on a range of 17th century ships for a Kickstarter project.

At the moment I'm waiting to get my flat in Russia sold so I can get back to the UK ASAP and buy myself some 3D printers and maybe start a business actually selling physical prints of my models :)

Anyway, pleased to make your acquaintance and I'm at your service! I've already written my first post, a tutorial on how to model a ship's hull in Blender.

Edit: I thought I might show off some of my work!
Prins Willem 1.jpg
$ROGF2CF.jpg$RBW5V3A.jpg
$R49QV7I.jpg
$R483KW2.jpg
$R6MS3Z2.jpg
$RW03TA6.PNG

from me too, what about 3-D instructions. Don

Sorry I forgot to link my tutorial! It's here:

Hallo and welcome here on board of our forum...... very interesting tutorial, and I hope to see and read much more about your work

Good to see you in here Henry
I've been in here for some time watching some great wooden builds in progress. There's some amazing pictures that help understand parts of the ships that we never see in the plans alone.
Simon Mann

Sorry I forgot to link my tutorial! It's here:
Is Blender best choise for it?

Last edited:
Hello Henners,

I want to do ships boats for a model I'm building. I have Turbocad Mac Version 10 (3D) cad which I am fairly proficient with but I don't know if I can use it to get the hull shape I need for a ships boat. I don't have line drawings of the hull shape but I think I can do my own. You mention something called GIMP, is this something that is in your software? I'm floundering, seems that I would have to draw a bunch of ribs and place them on the keel and then cover them? I've tried this with no success so far. Would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks,
Gordon

Hello Henners,

I want to do ships boats for a model I'm building. I have Turbocad Mac Version 10 (3D) cad which I am fairly proficient with but I don't know if I can use it to get the hull shape I need for a ships boat. I don't have line drawings of the hull shape but I think I can do my own. You mention something called GIMP, is this something that is in your software? I'm floundering, seems that I would have to draw a bunch of ribs and place them on the keel and then cover them? I've tried this with no success so far. Would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks,
Gordon
https://www.gimp.org/

Back