Hi From Australia

Thank you for accepting me, here is my model shipbuilding story.

I have always had a fascination with old model sailing ships and marvelled at the skill to build them.

I guess it was on dialup internet one day I came across Modeller’s Shipyard in Australia that sold wooden model ship kits, my limited research at the time found I should start with a kit that was a challenging but should be achievable with my limited and average woodworking skills, so on 11/09/1995 I purchased “A Schooner for Port Jackson”, I know it’s that date because I still have the receipt in the box.

So on to reading the black and white photocopied manual and learning so many new terms like fairing, wedging and planking etc. had me wondering if I had bitten off more than I could chew. Undeterred I started construction which progressed reasonably well as I tried to visualise what the instructions were conveying, I did take a few photographs at the time of the early progress which I also have still in the box taken on a 35mm film camera(remember them).

Well it was all going reasonably well until I got to the second layer of planking, about a third of the way through I realised it was a mess and didn’t know how to fix it, disheartened and disappointed it went into a cupboard for many years only coming out occasionally deciding it’s probably too hard to salvage, I think I was resigned to the fact it was never going to be finished.

Fast forward to 2020 and Covid-19 when strange things started to happen, after some spring cleaning around the house the ship again saw the light of day but this time I was determined to make progress, with the help of now fast internet I set about researching wooden model ship building and to my surprise I found the Schooner kit is still available now from Modelers Central, I found quite a few photos of others that have completed the kit which also spurred me on and other resources such as this site “Ships of Scale”

So with renewed enthusiasm I have repaired the faults to a level I am satisfied with and almost finished the build, will post some photos when completed although it would pale in comparison to some of the amazing work from other builders I have seen posted here.

Looks like I found a new hobby as my second build is ready to go and will be Occre’s Revenge, hopefully I am up for the challenge building on the skills I have already learnt.

Cheers

Thank you for accepting me, here is my model shipbuilding story.

I have always had a fascination with old model sailing ships and marvelled at the skill to build them.

I guess it was on dialup internet one day I came across Modeller’s Shipyard in Australia that sold wooden model ship kits, my limited research at the time found I should start with a kit that was a challenging but should be achievable with my limited and average woodworking skills, so on 11/09/1995 I purchased “A Schooner for Port Jackson”, I know it’s that date because I still have the receipt in the box.

So on to reading the black and white photocopied manual and learning so many new terms like fairing, wedging and planking etc. had me wondering if I had bitten off more than I could chew. Undeterred I started construction which progressed reasonably well as I tried to visualise what the instructions were conveying, I did take a few photographs at the time of the early progress which I also have still in the box taken on a 35mm film camera(remember them).

Well it was all going reasonably well until I got to the second layer of planking, about a third of the way through I realised it was a mess and didn’t know how to fix it, disheartened and disappointed it went into a cupboard for many years only coming out occasionally deciding it’s probably too hard to salvage, I think I was resigned to the fact it was never going to be finished.

Fast forward to 2020 and Covid-19 when strange things started to happen, after some spring cleaning around the house the ship again saw the light of day but this time I was determined to make progress, with the help of now fast internet I set about researching wooden model ship building and to my surprise I found the Schooner kit is still available now from Modelers Central, I found quite a few photos of others that have completed the kit which also spurred me on and other resources such as this site “Ships of Scale”

So with renewed enthusiasm I have repaired the faults to a level I am satisfied with and almost finished the build, will post some photos when completed although it would pale in comparison to some of the amazing work from other builders I have seen posted here.

Looks like I found a new hobby as my second build is ready to go and will be Occre’s Revenge, hopefully I am up for the challenge building on the skills I have already learnt.

Cheers
Welcome aboard. You story has some similarities to my own ship building starting with a Constructo Pilot Boat (schooner rigged) back around 1970 which went into drydock about half way through due to occupational conflicts of time. That came out about February and was completed last month. There is a vast (not like "Avast there mate") amount of resources in SoS and trolling the posts and forums open many ports of welcome. PT-2

Welcome, I also started with The Schooner for Port Jackson. Good kit to start with. I think it would have been a few years early than you, caught the bug and now working on my 17th build.View attachment 178477
Oh wow nice job, I see it looks very similar to mine and will post a picture after I put on the finishing touches, ie a flag when it gets delivered.
Great work on building 17 ships, you would have acumulated a lot of skills over that time, I still feel like a beginner and where have you displayed them all.

Oh wow nice job, I see it looks very similar to mine and will post a picture after I put on the finishing touches, ie a flag when it gets delivered.
Great work on building 17 ships, you would have acumulated a lot of skills over that time, I still feel like a beginner and where have you displayed them all.
I am very good at covering up all my mistakes. I have also done a scratch build of this for one of my daughters.

Hallo Richie,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Maybe you show us your build in this topic
or you could also start a building log of your project of the Revenge ...... so we could comment and give hints and advise, or answer your questions if necessary and requested.....
Great to have you on board

I guess it was on dialup internet one day I came across Modeller’s Shipyard in Australia that sold wooden model ship kits...
The owner of the Modeller's Shipyard would sit at a table inside the National Maritime Museum in Sydney and build his models as the public walked by.
I watched him plank and other things for many hours and asked him a lot of questions, I would go into the city just to watch him build his models. Then one day he just wasn't there any more.
There was also an Italian seaman that would build wooden ship models amongst the buskers at Circular Quay in Sydney, they were highly detailed, entirely from scratch and without plans. The models were very large scale. Two unique experiences that made the trip into the concrete jungle worthwhile.
I'm not sure if anyone else from Sydney remembers these craftsmen?

I am very good at covering up all my mistakes. I have also done a scratch build of this for one of my daughters.
LOL, hopefully it's a skill I can do too.
Scratch building might be a bridge to far for me, kudos for being able to do that.

Welcome aboard. You story has some similarities to my own ship building starting with a Constructo Pilot Boat (schooner rigged) back around 1970 which went into drydock about half way through due to occupational conflicts of time. That came out about February and was completed last month. There is a vast (not like "Avast there mate") amount of resources in SoS and trolling the posts and forums open many ports of welcome. PT-2
Thank you. Yes I have read quite a few similar stories from others recently, and here I was thinking initially I had a unique story.
Now I immersed myself in sailing ship movies, the Hornblower series and listen to sailing shanties while building, I have I gone too far :)

The owner of the Modeller's Shipyard would sit at a table inside the National Maritime Museum in Sydney and build his models as the public walked by.
I watched him plank and other things for many hours and asked him a lot of questions, I would go into the city just to watch him build his models. Then one day he just wasn't there any more.
There was also an Italian seaman that would build wooden ship models amongst the buskers at Circular Quay in Sydney, they were highly detailed, entirely from scratch and without plans. The models were very large scale. Two unique experiences that made the trip into the concrete jungle worthwhile.
I'm not sure if anyone else from Sydney remembers these craftsmen?
Thank you for sharing that, watching skilled craftsman at work is a sight to behold.
I still have the magazine that I think must have been thrown in with the kit.

MS.jpg

Back