Hi from cyberspace!

Hey folks. I'm Ross AKA P3nT4gR4m. I'm a digital artist and modeller (hope that's not a dirty word round here?) with a lifelong passion for the sea. I've been a kayaker all my life and only ever really admired tall ships as awesome looking things that I very occasionally meet on the water and gaze up at in wonderment. My ignorance is strong. Only recently learned that the poop deck isn't where the toilets were for example. Like really, really ignorant!

The reason I've joined this forum is because I'm currently modelling (digitally) a pirate ship. It's a passion project and I expect to take several months, maybe even the best part of a year to pull this off. If that sounds a ridiculously tall order, please bear in mind that, unlike physical modellers, I have an undo button if I mess anything up. I'm also not affected by things like gravity and the size of fiddly bits. Compared to handcrafting I'm able to cheat my way out of most corners.

So why join a forum full of physical modellers? Please believe me when I say that I'm not here to flaunt my godlike control of the laws of physics. My ship model, unlike your average digital one, is going to be a modelled inside and out and, as far as possible following real world design and structure. Every beam, every plank, every nail and stud. If you've seen Black Sails, for example, those ships were modelled by VFX industry legends but were mostly just hollow shells because that's all that was required for the camera shots. My ship is going to be more full-feature, inside and out.

The problem that arises here is the profound level of ignorance I mentioned at the start. I'm gradually learning how these amazing ships were constructed and operated, as I go but, as I'm sure you can imagine, information on the internet is kind of hard to come by, especially if, like myself, you have no idea what you're actually looking for. In this day and age not a lot of people are actually building these things for real (more's the pity) and there are no communities I can find. So I thought of modelling and the incredibly detailed model ships I've seen from time to time in maritime and transport museums.

I've seen some kits for sale that seem to scrimp on the inner structure, in favour of providing greater structural strength to the outer parts that you're actually going to see on the model presumably but I've also seen some cross section models that do show this structure in all it's glory. I'm guessing (hoping) that maybe some people actually do model the whole thing along authentic structural lines? Maybe there's a wealth of knowledge here that I can tap to learn what I need to learn to pull this project off?

I'd massively appreciate any pointers you guys can give me as to what I should read and/or who I should talk to. If anyone's interested I'll start a thread to document my progress but I'll totally understand if digital modelling is not your thing and I don't want to annoy anyone by doing so, so I'll leave it up to you. Let me know either way.

actually digital modeling is indeed our cup of tea
We have several Digital modelers on the forum
check this out

Cad design - Alfred stern cad designing | Ships of Scale

also the gothic steam engine in the link below

i would suggest starting a build log and post your progress as you go. Then you can ask questions and we can view your work and make comments.

actually digital modeling is indeed our cup of tea
We have several Digital modelers on the forum
check this out

Cad design - Alfred stern cad designing | Ships of Scale

also the gothic steam engine in the link below

i would suggest starting a build log and post your progress as you go. Then you can ask questions and we can view your work and make comments.

Perfect, thanks! I actually found your Alfred thread just after I posted this and spent half the afternoon going through it. Inspiring stuff! I noticed you were having some issues with rendering. I can probably help you out with that if your cad file is the actual assembled model, rather than just a bunch of flat sections for cnc

Dude, this is so of interest to me that I don't even know how begin to explain how of interest it is! Let me run this by you and see if we can't return the favour. I own a 3d VFX company and, as such, I have some ridiculously powerful kit in my studio. You've probably noticed by now that high quality renders will slow your workstation down to a crawl? I'd be more than happy to introduce you to "Talkie the Toaster" - my little rectangular buddy, who's entire purpose in life is to wait patiently in the corner until I have some renders that require the application of Lamborghini-horsepower. If seeing your final 3d model, in hires image or video format, all textured up and looking even better than the real thing is something that is of interest to you then you just met yourself all the freebies you can eat! :cool:

* this is a reply to the post below (something weird happened)

Last edited:
Perfect, thanks! I actually found your Alfred thread just after I posted this and spent half the afternoon going through it. Inspiring stuff! I noticed you were having some issues with rendering. I can probably help you out with that if your cad file is the actual assembled model, rather than just a bunch of flat sections for cnc

the rendering issue was because the program fusion 360 was not able to handle the complex STL file. The amount of surfaces had to be reduced in order to render the file.
to understand the basic structure of a ship it might be a good idea to start with something a bit more simple than a ship of the line like the Alfred.
Here are images of a set of drawings i just finished and ready to do a 3d model. Something like this might be of interest to you as it does have all the timbering. These plans are not public domain however if you are interested in trying to 3D model the ship i can make the DXF drawings available. They are shown here as an example and are watermarked because of a Facebook group of pirates that have no moral issues with stealing screen shots of others work and posts.

BOW FRAMES w7.jpgframes w1.jpgframing w2.jpgguns w3.jpginside profile & deck w4.jpgKEEL 1 22 21 w5.jpgoutside profile w6.jpg

Welcome aboard, we come from two very different worlds. My tools still consist of drafting table, T square, and a multitude of drafting shapes for scratch built ships. I will be anxiously watching your work.
Jim
Glad you're interested. I'm sure I'm going to have a blast here. Some of the stuff on this forum is off the chain awesome. I'll do my utmost best to honour it with some decent work on my end

Hey folks. I'm Ross AKA P3nT4gR4m. I'm a digital artist and modeller (hope that's not a dirty word round here?) with a lifelong passion for the sea. I've been a kayaker all my life and only ever really admired tall ships as awesome looking things that I very occasionally meet on the water and gaze up at in wonderment. My ignorance is strong. Only recently learned that the poop deck isn't where the toilets were for example. Like really, really ignorant!

The reason I've joined this forum is because I'm currently modelling (digitally) a pirate ship. It's a passion project and I expect to take several months, maybe even the best part of a year to pull this off. If that sounds a ridiculously tall order, please bear in mind that, unlike physical modellers, I have an undo button if I mess anything up. I'm also not affected by things like gravity and the size of fiddly bits. Compared to handcrafting I'm able to cheat my way out of most corners.

So why join a forum full of physical modellers? Please believe me when I say that I'm not here to flaunt my godlike control of the laws of physics. My ship model, unlike your average digital one, is going to be a modelled inside and out and, as far as possible following real world design and structure. Every beam, every plank, every nail and stud. If you've seen Black Sails, for example, those ships were modelled by VFX industry legends but were mostly just hollow shells because that's all that was required for the camera shots. My ship is going to be more full-feature, inside and out.

The problem that arises here is the profound level of ignorance I mentioned at the start. I'm gradually learning how these amazing ships were constructed and operated, as I go but, as I'm sure you can imagine, information on the internet is kind of hard to come by, especially if, like myself, you have no idea what you're actually looking for. In this day and age not a lot of people are actually building these things for real (more's the pity) and there are no communities I can find. So I thought of modelling and the incredibly detailed model ships I've seen from time to time in maritime and transport museums.

I've seen some kits for sale that seem to scrimp on the inner structure, in favour of providing greater structural strength to the outer parts that you're actually going to see on the model presumably but I've also seen some cross section models that do show this structure in all it's glory. I'm guessing (hoping) that maybe some people actually do model the whole thing along authentic structural lines? Maybe there's a wealth of knowledge here that I can tap to learn what I need to learn to pull this project off?

I'd massively appreciate any pointers you guys can give me as to what I should read and/or who I should talk to. If anyone's interested I'll start a thread to document my progress but I'll totally understand if digital modelling is not your thing and I don't want to annoy anyone by doing so, so I'll leave it up to you. Let me know either way.
Hallo Ross,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our friendly forum.
Very interesting work

Hallo @P3nT4gR4m
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo Ross alias @P3nT4gR4m
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back