Hi from Long Beach,CA!

Hi, I'm Alex,and a relative newbie to plank on frame ship models. Gives me a good brain workout at my age,60-plus yrs!:rolleyes:My favorite woods to work with are Moabi(african pearwood),Sirari, and cherry,affordable and pretty hand tool-friendly,for the most part. Alex B.

G'day Alex from the Land Downunder
Welcome to our family here on SOS. When you start your build, it would great to see your progress, and in that way of you need any help etc, we would be able to se what the problem is.

Welcome on board SOS, where fun is just the beginning!! I would wonder how African pear-wood look? Can you show us some photos (if you can)?

Welcome on board SOS, where fun is just the beginning!! I would wonder how African pear-wood look? Can you show us some photos (if you can)?
Thank you all for the kind remarks.African pearwood,in my experience,is a reddish-brown when freshly cut but turns a darker brown with time.It resembles walnut when dark.I will post photos of a sample piece of Moabi when I can figure out how.(I'm quite challenged,technology-wise!)It takes a good polish when sanded,and is not TOO hard to work with,hand-tool wise. Frankly,it's more affordable for me than swiss pearwood. Alex

Back