Hi From MN

I started my Mantua HMS Victory build last winter but then the golf season came along and in MN its short. I work at a Golf course since I retired 5 years ago and get complimentary golf privileges as part of my pay so I play as much as possible hence no spare time for Ship Models anyway season over and back to ship modeling. I completed a Bluenose 2 years ago and my wife said I should do another model. I have read a number of the build logs and very impressed with the standard of work. I used to build real boats in my teenage years with my father who was a master carpenter in Scotland before I disappeared off to see the world in the UK Merchant navy. Glad to be a member and see all these wonderful models and get lots of ideas

I started my Mantua HMS Victory build last winter but then the golf season came along and in MN its short. I work at a Golf course since I retired 5 years ago and get complimentary golf privileges as part of my pay so I play as much as possible hence no spare time for Ship Models anyway season over and back to ship modeling. I completed a Bluenose 2 years ago and my wife said I should do another model. I have read a number of the build logs and very impressed with the standard of work. I used to build real boats in my teenage years with my father who was a master carpenter in Scotland before I disappeared off to see the world in the UK Merchant navy. Glad to be a member and see all these wonderful models and get lots of ideas
Welcome! I'm in Ramsey, MN and was a fellow Merchant Marine officer. We both have sea stories to swap...

Welcome! I'm in Ramsey, MN and was a fellow Merchant Marine officer. We both have sea stories to swap...
I went to Leith Nautical College in Edinburgh when I was 15 1/2 and studied to be a Radio Officer finally got all my certification when I was 18 1/2 and sailed with P&O for 13 years on all sorts of ships cargo, passenger, tankers and gas carriers left in 1982 and joined BT Radio services got all the way to Ship Inspector and then they lost the contract, went back to sea in 1996 with Holland America and became an IT Officer left in 2006 and moved to Saint Louis Park MN worked for United Healthcare as a Computer analyst and retired in 2017 . I love it here and just wish the Golf Season was longer although this year has been great I played last Wednesday. Building a Mantua HMS Victory kit and finding some weird differences in the instructions and the plans but I will sort it out

I went to Leith Nautical College in Edinburgh when I was 15 1/2 and studied to be a Radio Officer finally got all my certification when I was 18 1/2 and sailed with P&O for 13 years on all sorts of ships cargo, passenger, tankers and gas carriers left in 1982 and joined BT Radio services got all the way to Ship Inspector and then they lost the contract, went back to sea in 1996 with Holland America and became an IT Officer left in 2006 and moved to Saint Louis Park MN worked for United Healthcare as a Computer analyst and retired in 2017 . I love it here and just wish the Golf Season was longer although this year has been great I played last Wednesday. Building a Mantua HMS Victory kit and finding some weird differences in the instructions and the plans but I will sort it out
I sailed cargo ships as a ship's Engineering Officer for 8 years after graduating from United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, in 1987. Went shoreside in 1995 and became a boiler/machinery inspector, then a Nuclear Inspector for the past 21 years. Not a golf guy myself. Historical reenactment and medieval armor and weapon smithing have been my things for decades. Check out the plethora of HMS Victory builds for useful tidbits on added details. Luckily for you, there are lots of books and videos on the Victory which means almost zero guesswork on your model.

Last edited:
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Hallo @spatz
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back