Hi from Oakville, Ontario

• Thread starter Thread starter Jmz
  • Start date Start date
  • Watchers Watchers 7

Jmz

Hi,
My name is James. I have been building ships and planes from plastic kits and a 1:200 Bismarck from plans using plywood and Balsa. I am searching for a good plan on the USS Constitution since the kits are way too costly for me. Can any one help?
thanks
James
jmzcons@gmail.com

Welcome to the forums James !
You can get plans and assembly book from Bluejacket Shipcrafters. Its 1:96 or from Model Expo who's plans are 1/76.
Both are in the US and both are about $70 USD.
I'm sure there are others available, but those are the ones I am aware of off hand and could verify quickly.

Jeff

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Hi James! If you looking for drawings of the USS Constitution, you definitely need to check out this link (below). There are hundreds of detailed drawing of the ship that were made during a refit of the ship in 1927. Take a look and let me know what you think.
Chuck

Take out the "j" in the link after "modeler" or you will get a "Page Not Found" error for that link.
Here is a corrected link. :)
Constitution modeler resources

If you want to build an historically accurate model of Constitution, before spending money on drawings, I suggest that you first decide “which” Constitution you want to build. Of course there is really only one ship but since she has remained in commission throughout her long life she has been “updated” many times changing her appearance. Even her 1990’s major overhaul failed to return her to her period of historic significance when she fought the Barbary Pirates or the Royal Navy.

In the 1920’s she also underwent a major repair. Photos of her in a dry dock stripped of her planking date from this overhaul. Back in the 1990’s the Navy offered a free CD with Constitution plans. These plans date from the 1920’s. If you visit the museum’s website make sure that plans offered are not these from the 1920’s unless you’re modeling the ship to her 1920’s appearance.

The changes to Constitution are discussed in the book Old Ironsides by Thomas C. Gillmer. Gillmer is a naval architect who was involved with the overhaul in the 1990’s that resulted in Constitution being (briefly) sailed. It’s good reading for anyone interested in the ship and is written by someone who knows the subject.

Roger

Back