Hi from Sin City (Las Vegas)

Ahoy to all,
I have just gotten back to modeling and recently completed my first wooden ship. HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat. I'm working on two models at the same time right now. One I started about 20 years ago, HMS Endeavour, and the other I got from a friend HMS Bounty that he gave up on. so far all is well. One big question how do you not get the clinker effect when planking the hull?

Thanks Popeye, The problems is I don't want my boat to look like I have overlapped the planks and I haven't. It seems to occur at a bend in the planks. it just gives the appearance of clinker planking. How do I avoid this?

Thanks that helps allot. My next project is the USS Constitution and I want to have all my ducks in a row before I start. It is time to invest in a good book on Planking.

On line I found a web site called "wooden ship modeling for dummies," all pictures and video's. Has anyone ever heard of this or know anything about it? Is it worth the $45.00 investment, or can anyone recommend a good book?

I am familiar with that site and I am a member of it and it does in fact have a lot of good material on there. There are a lot of good books out there as well. One of my favorites that I refer to all the time is "Historic Ship Models" by Wolfram zu Mondfeld and can be found on Amazon.
There are many others: Go to Amazon.com and at the top search bar, put in "planking model ships" and you will get a sack full of books to choose from on planking model ships. I can't recommend any as some of these I have and some are good and some are rather confusing. However, the ones that might be confusing to me, might be just the right thing for you.

Donnie

Thanks Popeye for stepping in to help !

Thanks Donnie I think I'm Going to subscribe to that site. I am currently working on a Mantua model of HMS Endeavour. I've been doing it from the plans as I have lost allot of the parts. Should I post that in the scratch build or the kit build?

Mike

Being an experienced ship modeler for decades, I found so error on that site. The best book for planking and this also includes deck planking is "Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders" by Donald Dressel. It even covers the right way to do tree nails based upon plank widths, etc.

Mike,
this is a hard call, but I suggest to stay with the Build Log from Kits section as it did start out as a kit.

Donnie

Back