Hi from Sydney Australia

A friend suggested I join this site as a source of friendly chat, useful information and to create a build log of a ship project.
I am relatively new to timber ship modelling having started about 15 years ago when I retired from the workforce, having been in the building construction industry for about 40 years as an architect and project manager.
My first build was a relatively simple kit that my sons, at my suggestion, purchased as a Christmas present. The Port Jackson Schooner of 1803 is a 1:50 model of one of the first vessels built in the early days of the New South Wales colony. I enjoyed the build although the learning curve was pretty steep.
This project took about a year and I enjoyed the process.

IMG_5507a.JPG

After finishing this build I decided to be a bit more adventurous and move up to a more complex build.
Keeping with the theme of early ships with an Australian connection I selected HMS Bounty and acquired an Amati 1:60 kit. I started building following the kit instructions but then made a pretty significant decision when I bought "The Anatomy of the Ship, HMAT Bounty" and discovered all the inaccuracies in the kit. So lots of "kit bashing" followed and the finished result, after 5 years of work was a bit of a hybrid, but pretty satisfying anyway. I also bought Lennarth Pettersens book on rigging so the rig was changed from the kit instructions.

IMG_0319a.JPG

The "kit bashing" process had planted a seed so much thought was given to the next project.
By this stage I had completed reading Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series and was very impressed with descriptions of HMS Surprise so this was to be the next build. I looked at various kits which could form a basis of a build but discovered those available always seemed to be a bit of a compromise so I decided on a scratch build at 1:75. I bought the "Anatomy of the Ship" book and started working from the drawings included. After much scanning and printing and scouring the internet for images I started construction and finished about 6 years later.

01.jpgTop

What to build after Surprise was contemplated and a more complex hull shape seemed a good challenge so, again with reference to Patrick O'Brian and Jack Aubrey's adventures HMS Bellona was decided on. The "Anatomy of the Ship" book has been bought and acquired as a pdf version to print from and another scratch build started.

Cheers, David Lendrum.

Hallo David,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our friendly forum......
Very good models you are showing us already in your intro, so I am looking forward to see your work in the already started building log.

For everybody interested, please take a look here:

Many Thanks for sharing with is your work

Back