HI FROM TASMANIA

I AM BUILDING THE ULISES TUG BOAT AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO SEAL IN BEWEEN THE WOODEN PLANK GAPS

First of all I would like to send you a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Are you building the tug as RC-model or static?

Welcome aboard, you will find people with great experience and skills that surely like to help in your boat

I would fill the gaps with plastic wood or similar wood filler and then if the boat is going on the water coat the hull inside and out with epoxy resin. Adding light fiberglass cloth + resin to the outer hull will give additional strength.

As I said earlier, any wood filler will work. But if the boat is meant for the water I would also coat the hull after filling and sanding with 2.3 oz fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. Dilute the resin with ethyl alcohol to about 3 parts resin to one part alcohol. I would also brush the inside of the hull with diluted resin. The fiberglass also gives the hull a clear, smooth surface for painting or for a natural finish. I have done this with each boat I have built with a wood hull and never saw a drop of water leakage.

Here is my OcCre Ulises Tug on the water.

tempImageJos0qQ.png

I agree 100 percent with TheDonMI. That is the best way to fill gaps in a planked hull and make it completely waterproof. I have built several tugs and freighters using this method.
Hi there! I have just started building the Ulises tug. This is my first RC project. I have built a previous boat - the RCMP St. Roch, but it is a static model. I notice you are in Canada, and am wondering where you were able to pick up the various items - fiberglass cloth, various waterproofing finishes, and also the RC stuff - motor, controls, etc. Thanks, Carl

Sorry but I am not from Canada, rather Michigan. Close by but in the USA. I buy most of my modeling supplies from Tower Hobbies (www.towerhobbies.com). I don't know how cross border sales work. It might be more hassle than it is worth, or maybe not. There must be hobby stores in a large city like Toronto. I would start there. Then check out internet sources. Maybe some of our Canadian friends on Ships of Scale can help you. Good luck!

Sorry but I am not from Canada, rather Michigan. Close by but in the USA. I buy most of my modeling supplies from Tower Hobbies (www.towerhobbies.com). I don't know how cross border sales work. It might be more hassle than it is worth, or maybe not. There must be hobby stores in a large city like Toronto. I would start there. Then check out internet sources. Maybe some of our Canadian friends on Ships of Scale can help you. Good luck!
Sorry...I thought I was sending my question to fourseas, who weighed in earlier in your thread!

Hi there! I have just started building the Ulises tug. This is my first RC project. I have built a previous boat - the RCMP St. Roch, but it is a static model. I notice you are in Canada, and am wondering where you were able to pick up the various items - fiberglass cloth, various waterproofing finishes, and also the RC stuff - motor, controls, etc. Thanks, Carl
Hi Carl, I am located in Chatham Kent on the Thames river, Ontario. In the past I purchased all my electronics for my RC ships from a company in Toronto called EA electronics, but I just checked today and it looks like they are out of business. They were excellent in matching the size and type of your boat with the proper motor and ESC. I will probably check out Great Hobbies now as they have a store in Toronto. I generally purchase my light fiberglass cloth from a hobby shop in London called AVF Hobbies as a lot of the same supplies are used for model aircraft. The product which I prefer to use to make my ships completely waterproof is ZAP Z-Poxy finishing resin. For my paints I go to a local automotive store and have them match the colour I need.

Hi Carl, I am located in Chatham Kent on the Thames river, Ontario. In the past I purchased all my electronics for my RC ships from a company in Toronto called EA electronics, but I just checked today and it looks like they are out of business. They were excellent in matching the size and type of your boat with the proper motor and ESC. I will probably check out Great Hobbies now as they have a store in Toronto. I generally purchase my light fiberglass cloth from a hobby shop in London called AVF Hobbies as a lot of the same supplies are used for model aircraft. The product which I prefer to use to make my ships completely waterproof is ZAP Z-Poxy finishing resin. For my paints I go to a local automotive store and have them match the colour I need.
Thanks Fourseas. That's very helpful information. Is the ZAP Z-Poxy similar to the epoxy resin I've heard others talk about? I presume it needs a number of coats and this is after you apply the fiberglass cloth? I checked Great Hobbies just east of Toronto and they have a huge selection of items. What I need is to have someone tell me what would work best with the Ulises - motor, rudder, controls, etc..etc.. There seem to be so many choices (and prices)!

Back