Hi from the UK

Hi All, I came across this brilliant website/forum recently and been inspired by many talented modellers out there. I used to build Airfix models when I was much younger and then general life and other interests got in the way. About 3 years ago I decided to get back into model making and given I have a love of working with wood as an avid DIYer I thought about building a model ship. A local model shop recommended the HMS President (Mantua) as a good starter kit for a newbie. This came during Covid lockdown so was a good way to pass the hours when we were all isolating. Took about 14 months to complete but I loved the process. Below are a few images of the final build which as I first effort I was pleased with the final result. I am now 18 months into a build of the Endeavour (Occre) and thoroughly enjoying it.
All the best
Rgds Keith

HMS-President_012.jpgHMS-President_013.jpgHMS-President_014.jpgHMS-President_015.jpg

Hi and welcome to a fellow Brit. Your arrival to ship modelling echoes mine of 3 - 4 years ago: Airfix models in tender years, lots of DIY years, a retirement occupation (in my case) amplified by lockdown. It has been a great excuse to buy lots of new tools (i.e toys) and I have plundered Cornwall Model Boats regularly for kits and bits. This is a great forum. Tip: When you look at build log have look at what others have got on their workbench. I have spotted various things I did not know existed.

Hi and welcome to a fellow Brit. Your arrival to ship modelling echoes mine of 3 - 4 years ago: Airfix models in tender years, lots of DIY years, a retirement occupation (in my case) amplified by lockdown. It has been a great excuse to buy lots of new tools (i.e toys) and I have plundered Cornwall Model Boats regularly for kits and bits. This is a great forum. Tip: When you look at build log have look at what others have got on their workbench. I have spotted various things I did not know existed.
Thanks. Yup sounds scarily similar. Bought lots of tools so I guess I need to do more models to get my money worth from the tools alone. Cornwall Model Boats has also become my go to place for models and parts. Thanks for the tips.

Dear Keith
welcome aboard, your HMS President looks beautiful! :) Okay
we would love to see the work on the Endeavour .

Thanks all for the warm welcome. It is great to pick up tips and hints from experienced modellers on this forum. I will post a few images of the Endeavour build.

Hi All, I came across this brilliant website/forum recently and been inspired by many talented modellers out there. I used to build Airfix models when I was much younger and then general life and other interests got in the way. About 3 years ago I decided to get back into model making and given I have a love of working with wood as an avid DIYer I thought about building a model ship. A local model shop recommended the HMS President (Mantua) as a good starter kit for a newbie. This came during Covid lockdown so was a good way to pass the hours when we were all isolating. Took about 14 months to complete but I loved the process. Below are a few images of the final build which as I first effort I was pleased with the final result. I am now 18 months into a build of the Endeavour (Occre) and thoroughly enjoying it.
All the best
Rgds Keith

View attachment 317825View attachment 317826View attachment 317827View attachment 317828
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Back