Hi from UK - total beginner alert!!

Hi all,
Thanks for having me.
I am from the UK, more specifically, Newcastle Upon Tyne (that makes me a Geordie).
I am a 42 year old newcomer to model making. Actually, not quite true, a few years ago I made a couple of airfix planes. I thoroughly enjoyed the hobby and was very proud of the end results. Unfortunately with kids, work etc.. I fell out of the hobby.

Now that changes!

I would love to accumulate the skills required to make beautiful wooden model tall ships. I'm no expert (yet..) but love the look of ships like the Santa Maria and Mayflower. Also pirate ships!

To get started I've ordered some wooden model kits off Amazon. Not ships, more a mixture of clocks, buildings, robots etc.. I've never worked with wooden models, so figured good way to start, and something I can do with kids.

Anyway.. that's me. I look forward to getting involved and learning from the people on this forum

Hey ! Welcome aboard !
I have good news for you. We all started out as beginners at one time or another. :) A lot of these guys do amazing work and then there are those of us that are not so good yet, but still growing and learning (many times from our own mistakes). So, you're in great company and there is plenty of people to help you on your journey ! :)

Jeff

Welcome, Lumix1234!

Boy, are you going to learn a lot fast. Start a build log and post text and pictures of the steps of your model build as you go. There is always a reason to post a build log. First, it gives members an opportunity to offer constructive criticism and ask questions. Second, any changes you add to the model are useful for others learning to build similar models. I have seen several build logs on the model I am currently building, and each one has ideas which I borrow and put into my build.

Ask questions, no matter how small, and replies will often be posted a couple hours or minutes after you ask. If you have any questions or need information on planking or some other difficult step, let the forum members know because we are here to help.

Search for Other Build Logs on This Forum by Ship Name and Read Them:
You will soon discover that this forum, and others like Model Ship World, are time vampires. You will spend many hours reading build logs learning model making methods, books to buy for reference and research, required tools and tools and tools that enhance your build and make it better, and excellent examples of model builds that, with every paragraph, teach you something new. And, it is so interesting, you will forget to eat a meal or two. Start exploring the build logs before you decide what ship to build first. You'll get an idea of what to watch out for, find new models that interest you, and get an understanding of the building process.

What Kit to Build First?
That's always been a tough question here. All of us have experience building different kits, and some are scratch builders. So, you will get a wildly diverse set of opinions on which ship kit makes a good starter. What you can do to help is to tell us what sort of skills and experience you have in model building, or other related hobbies or crafts. Some kits rely strongly on blueprints and plan as the instructions, which assumes you are familiar with how to assemble a wooden ship model. Others provide more text and photographs to better assist beginners.

Also, let us know which types of vessel appeal to you from a personal standpoint, after shopping around a bit and seeing what types of kits are out there. Tell us the level of complexity of the ship model, from 6th rate to 1st rate, single masted schooner to three masted man of war. Tell us which time period you are interested in. Most kits are from the 19th century. Older ships have less information available as to how they were built, which gets worse the farther back in time that you go.

You mentioned the Lady Nelson, which is actually a great kit. It doesn't teach you how to plank a hull, however. That is something you typically get from other books and there are plenty of those that can show you how to measure and apply planking to a hull with complex curves. Some kits are historically accurate, and some not. Know that ALL KITS have some features that are incorrect, and with a bit of research and a few questions, you can figure out what those parts are and correct them with a bit of modification or scratch building. For example, the Lady Nelson is a ship that never actually existed, but is a representative example of a British cutter of that time period.

How Will my Time be Spent?
Building a kit is 10% research, 90 percent construction following the instructions. Most beginners start here.
Kit bashing (heavily modifying a kit for historical accuracy) or scratch build a model from raw materials is 80% research and 20% construction, because you have to know most aspects of wooden ship construction on a timber-by-timber basis to change or fabricate parts and features and base them on historical information found in books, internet searches, or on this forum.

What can I Expect as far as Kit Quality?
No matter which kit you build, it is likely that one of us here has built it, since the amount of ship kits out there is rather limited compare to the plastic model kit world. You can depend on all of us here to answer any question you my have. So, now matter how simple the question may seem, please ask.

Most of the build is research, not building. Some people think building a traditional model sailing ship just means following the directions in a kit. Most kits disappoint them in this regard, since they assume you know how to shape wood, paint, and other skills. Other people assume they can just whack out a beginner level kit without any model experience and give up for lack of patience when they find out what a real commitment means. The ones who choose a kit to start, then gather as much knowledge from guy on boards like this, buy several books for reference, learn what tools they need and which ones work best for them, and continuously ask questions AFTER searching the forums for answers and coming up short, and have the focus, desire, patience and persistence to see the ship finished are the ones that make modelers. Very many people fall short of the mark.

Welcome, and happy ship building!

(Donnie should really put me to work writing the FAQ section for this forum :D ... my fingers hurt from typing all that for the 10th time.

Last edited:
a warm welcome here on board of our forum also from my side
These clocks, robots kits are realy nice (I do this also with my daughter) but really not comparable with a ship model kit
So it will fastly coming the time you have to decide which ship you want to build......

Welcome, Lumix1234!

Boy, are you going to learn a lot fast. Start a build log and post text and pictures of the steps of your model build as you go. There is always a reason to post a build log. First, it gives members an opportunity to offer constructive criticism and ask questions. Second, any changes you add to the model are useful for others learning to build similar models. I have seen several build logs on the model I am currently building, and each one has ideas which I borrow and put into my build.

Ask questions, no matter how small, and replies will often be posted a couple hours or minutes after you ask. If you have any questions or need information on planking or some other difficult step, let the forum members know because we are here to help.

Search for Other Build Logs on This Forum by Ship Name and Read Them:
You will soon discover that this forum, and others like Model Ship World, are time vampires. You will spend many hours reading build logs learning model making methods, books to buy for reference and research, required tools and tools and tools that enhance your build and make it better, and excellent examples of model builds that, with every paragraph, teach you something new. And, it is so interesting, you will forget to eat a meal or two. Start exploring the build logs before you decide what ship to build first. You'll get an idea of what to watch out for, find new models that interest you, and get an understanding of the building process.

What Kit to Build First?
That's always been a tough question here. All of us have experience building different kits, and some are scratch builders. So, you will get a wildly diverse set of opinions on which ship kit makes a good starter. What you can do to help is to tell us what sort of skills and experience you have in model building, or other related hobbies or crafts. Some kits rely strongly on blueprints and plan as the instructions, which assumes you are familiar with how to assemble a wooden ship model. Others provide more text and photographs to better assist beginners.

Also, let us know which types of vessel appeal to you from a personal standpoint, after shopping around a bit and seeing what types of kits are out there. Tell us the level of complexity of the ship model, from 6th rate to 1st rate, single masted schooner to three masted man of war. Tell us which time period you are interested in. Most kits are from the 19th century. Older ships have less information available as to how they were built, which gets worse the farther back in time that you go.

You mentioned the Lady Nelson, which is actually a great kit. It doesn't teach you how to plank a hull, however. That is something you typically get from other books and there are plenty of those that can show you how to measure and apply planking to a hull with complex curves. Some kits are historically accurate, and some not. Know that ALL KITS have some features that are incorrect, and with a bit of research and a few questions, you can figure out what those parts are and correct them with a bit of modification or scratch building. For example, the Lady Nelson is a ship that never actually existed, but is a representative example of a British cutter of that time period.

How Will my Time be Spent?
Building a kit is 10% research, 90 percent construction following the instructions. Most beginners start here.
Kit bashing (heavily modifying a kit for historical accuracy) or scratch build a model from raw materials is 80% research and 20% construction, because you have to know most aspects of wooden ship construction on a timber-by-timber basis to change or fabricate parts and features and base them on historical information found in books, internet searches, or on this forum.

What can I Expect as far as Kit Quality?
No matter which kit you build, it is likely that one of us here has built it, since the amount of ship kits out there is rather limited compare to the plastic model kit world. You can depend on all of us here to answer any question you my have. So, now matter how simple the question may seem, please ask.

Most of the build is research, not building. Some people think building a traditional model sailing ship just means following the directions in a kit. Most kits disappoint them in this regard, since they assume you know how to shape wood, paint, and other skills. Other people assume they can just whack out a beginner level kit without any model experience and give up for lack of patience when they find out what a real commitment means. The ones who choose a kit to start, then gather as much knowledge from guy on boards like this, buy several books for reference, learn what tools they need and which ones work best for them, and continuously ask questions AFTER searching the forums for answers and coming up short, and have the focus, desire, patience and persistence to see the ship finished are the ones that make modelers. Very many people fall short of the mark.

Welcome, and happy ship building!

(Donnie should really put me to work writing the FAQ section for this forum :D ... my fingers hurt from typing all that for the 10th time.
There is a neat new thing on computers now called "copy and paste". you might give it a try. :D :D

a warm welcome here on board of our forum also from my side
These clocks, robots kits are realy nice (I do this also with my daughter) but really not comparable with a ship model kit
So it will fastly coming the time you have to decide which ship you want to build......
Yes, I know - daunting! Lol

Any starter kits you'd recommend please share. Like a minefield out there when trying to decide!

Any starter kits you'd recommend please share. Like a minefield out there when trying to decide!
There are enough starter level kits that you need to choose a vessel type. Here are a few, starting with those with the better wood and fittings (arguably).

Vanguard Models:
HMS Alert
HMS Speedy
HMS Flirt

Syren Ship Model Company
Revenue Cutter Cheerful

Mamoli
Black Prince

OcCre
Albatros
Apostle Felipe

Artesania Latina
San Francisco II

DeAgostini
Soleil Royal
HMS Sovereign of the Seas

There are many others, but this is a list off the top of my head. All of these have advantages and drawbacks. The Vanguard and Syren models have great materials but are also more expensive. San Francisco II is a classic Spanish Galleon, but has some elements that are not historically accurate, but is one of the easiest to build. How much skill you have with hand tools and wood working, and the type of vessel matter a lot in your choice. Bigger models are easier to work on that smaller ones as a rule, and more masts equals more rigging and more work. The DeAgostini models are aimed directly at beginners, the ships are huge and complex, look nice, and the instructions are step-by-step with photos, but the material is not good (crappy soft basswood and bamboo), they are very expensive, and have problems with historic accuracy in the decorations. If you choose them, Soleil Royal is more historically accurate than HMS Sovereign of the Seas. If you want great wood than looks fine when oiled, Vanguard and Syren are good. These comments are my opinion, and other member have different perspectives. If you narrow your choices down, we can provide specific information that is more useful, so have fun window shopping!

Welcome aboard! Hope you find the time and info here to excel in modeling. We love ships but also delve into other things.

In addition to the kits already mentioned above, Model Expo Online has a series of kits (the Shipwright Series) that is specifically designed to teach you the very beginning if wood ship models and is relatively inexpensive. Another one which I see a lot of people opting for and if you want something a bit more complicated that looks like a ship rather than some smaller boats is the Occre Polaris kit. Other beginner kits from Occre would be the Bounty Boat or the San Juan. These are all great kits to start with. I'm sure there are other kits out there that would also be great to start with, but I don't want to write a book today. You can look at the online catalog of any manufacturer and look at their less expensive kits to start with. At the very beginning, I would start with a kit that does not have rat lines and lots of rigging, if you are wanting to build models of sailing ships.

Of course this is assuming you are at the very beginning with skills and experience. If you decide to start with something more complicated, you should expect your patience to be tried more and a greater level of frustration which is what causes many people to drop out of this great hobby.

And most importantly, remember if you have a question or a problem, you have a ton of people here that are willing to help!

Jeff

All - Thank you for the warm welcome and kit advice. I now feel confident enough to start looking at a suitable beginner kit.

I'll have a browse this evening and let you know if I have any further Qs.

Exciting times!

All - Thank you for the warm welcome and kit advice. I now feel confident enough to start looking at a suitable beginner kit.

I'll have a browse this evening and let you know if I have any further Qs.

Exciting times!
and when ever you have one, two or three kits in mind on a short list, you can check the available building logs we have here in SOS.
I am pretty sure, that you get than a very good impression, if you still like the kit, model, ship

and when ever you have one, two or three kits in mind on a short list, you can check the available building logs we have here in SOS.
I am pretty sure, that you get than a very good impression, if you still like the kit, model, ship

Thank you

I have my eye on this kit. Not sure if too advanced given my lack of skills?

I'll try and find a building log for same make/model to give me idea of experience involved

Hi all,
Thanks for having me.
I am from the UK, more specifically, Newcastle Upon Tyne (that makes me a Geordie).
I am a 42 year old newcomer to model making. Actually, not quite true, a few years ago I made a couple of airfix planes. I thoroughly enjoyed the hobby and was very proud of the end results. Unfortunately with kids, work etc.. I fell out of the hobby.

Now that changes!

I would love to accumulate the skills required to make beautiful wooden model tall ships. I'm no expert (yet..) but love the look of ships like the Santa Maria and Mayflower. Also pirate ships!

To get started I've ordered some wooden model kits off Amazon. Not ships, more a mixture of clocks, buildings, robots etc.. I've never worked with wooden models, so figured good way to start, and something I can do with kids.

Anyway.. that's me. I look forward to getting involved and learning from the people on this forum
Hallo @Lumix1234
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back