Higgins 70' design

In 1940, Higgins contracted with the Finnish government to build a series of 70' motor torpedo boats. Initially, the boat was designated MRB2 to circumvent the Neutrality Act. When Finland aligned with Germany, the contract became invalid and the boats were transferred to the RN as MGB69-73. The Royal Netherlands Navy then contracted for a slightly different configuration on the same hull, designated OJR1 - 6. These were delivered to the Netherlands East Indies, where they were soon lost, most being scuttled to prevent capture by the Japanese. Two more boats, H7 and H8 were built for the RNN and served in the West Indies.

mrb1.jpgMRB2.jpgmrb3.jpgmrb4.jpgmrb5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It was similar to, but not the same as, the 78' PTs which came later. There were two different hulls for the 78' boats, as well. The earlier boats had a hollow at the transom, while the later boats were flat. There were also four different cockpit configurations. I can expand this thread to more fully cover the differences if there's any interest.

Attachments

• PT71 MODIFIED WITHOUT RADAR.jpg
    PT71 MODIFIED WITHOUT RADAR.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 31
  • PT308-313 GA.jpg
    PT308-313 GA.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 28
  • LINES & SECTIONS PT71.jpg
    LINES & SECTIONS PT71.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 27
  • LINES & SECTIONS PT265.jpg
    LINES & SECTIONS PT265.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 30
I do remember building a plastic kit of the famous PT-109 when in high school.

Lots of good books and stories about them besides the Kennedy story.

I really like a story about when fleet Admiral pulled some from shore patrol to attack enemy fleet at sea, with PT boats causing all kinds of havoc to the Japanize ships by swarming them fast and low, and the gunners shot their other ships trying to get guns low enough to hit the PT's. Then when the enemy fleet was confused they let go the fish to finish off a few targets of choice.

Back