HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Heinrich

Staff member
Bluenose Moderator

barentssea.png

Barents Sea

Covering an area of 1,405,000 km2, the Barents Sea (which includes the White- and Pechora Seas), is part of the Arctic Ocean, located along the northern coasts of Norway and Russia. It is bounded by the Svalbard archipelago in the northwest, Franz Josef Land islands in the northeast, the Novaya Zemlya archipelago in the east, the Norwegian Sea and the Greenland Sea in the west, and by the Kola Peninsula in the south. The Barents Sea was one of the more difficult seas for the sailors and ocean rowers to cross - hence it also being called “The Devil’s Jaw” or “The Devil’s Dance Floor.”

The sea’s current name was first published in a chart in 1853, in the honor of the famous Dutch explorer, Willem Barentsz. A Dutch cartographer and navigator, Barentsz was born on the island of Terschelling and lived from about 1550 to 1597 in the region that would eventually become the Netherlands.

kola-peninsula-russia-barents-sea-sergeev-ig.jpg

barentsz-portrait-original.jpg
Dutch Explorer - Willem Barentsz

“Find a Northern Passage to China”.

This order, issued by the Town Council of Amsterdam would be Willem Barentsz’s last chance to do so. Two previous expeditions which carried with them the high hopes of the States General of the Seventeen Provinces and that of the Dutch stadtholder, Prince Maurice of Orange, respectively, both resulted in failure and left these instances disappointed and disillusioned. No longer would they subsidize such voyages. Instead, it was replaced by a reward system in which expeditions would be compensated for, only if they returned with proof of a successful navigation to China.

Barentsz though, was still determined to accomplish this and fortunately for him, the Council of Amsterdam was willing to bankroll him. It also purchased the two small ships, crewed with Dutch mariners, on which Barentsz would set sail eastwards from Amsterdam in May of 1596.

To these Dutch traders it was imperative that an alternative had to be found to the Portuguese-and Spanish controlled southern route around the Cape of Good Hope. When Barentsz left Amsterdam, he did so right in the middle of the Eighty Years' War, or Dutch Revolt (1568–1648), against the Spanish King.

1594-Heemskerck-en-Barentsz.png

Planning the voyage – Willem Barentsz and Jacob Heemskerck

Jacob Heemskerck.jpg
Jacob Heemskerck

Navigator and later admiral, Jacob van Heemskerck (1567-1607), took part in two of Willem Barentsz’s expeditions to the far north in search of a northeast passage to Asia. He survived and would oversee the survivors’ successful return. In 1607, Admiral Van Heemskerck, engaged the Spanish armada near Gibraltar and led the Dutch fleet to a resounding victory. However, he took a shot in the leg from an enemy cannonball and died from his wounds shortly thereafter.

Why build the Willem Barentsz?

1. It attempted to establish the first contact between the Netherlands and China. (This sentence turned out prophetic for me - a South African (Dutch origin) in China.
2. I wanted to build a ship in the purest sense possible - devoid of all ornamentation and paraphernalia which could detract from its wooden construction.
3. After I had followed and read @pietsan Piet Sanders's build log of the Willem Barentsz, I was amazed at how simple could so be so beautiful - I was hooked.
4. Piet has agreed to assist me - and thus indirectly any modeler who wants to build it. To those who are not familiar with Piet, let me say that I hold his work in the highest possible esteem.
5. It is a @Kolderstok model and I know the superb back-up and support that I will receive from Hans.

In summary, enjoy these two pictures of Piet's superb build of the Willem Barentsz.

JPG_2121_6627_bewerkt-1.jpg

JPG_2119_6625_bewerkt-1.jpg

Thank you all for watching and following. In the next posting (very soon) I will start the actual build of the ship. I hope you join me as I embark on this expedition of my own.

Take care, look after yourselves and your loved ones and enjoy your model building.

H

Oh wow Heinrich you snuck this one in on me. I’ll be in the crows nest taking notes. Thanks for the background. Found lots in researching however it gets really cumbersome when running through a translator program
Welcome Ron! If it is OK, I will post the answer with regards to the name of the ship on this log. That was a great question to kick off this log and I look forward to giving you a comprehensive answer.

Hi Heinrich. I know the story, but you told it in your very special way. And in de direction of your upcoming build.
I sit beside Jim ( if he allows that).
Hello Peter, I think it will be an honor to have you like the company, so please sit next to me!

Hey, someone moved my "reserved" seat sign - Jimsky looks guilty! But that's ok because I brought my portable chair with me, just in case :D.
...didn't mean to spoil your view, hence offer my spot in exchange for your folding chair (if Peter @Peter Voogt doesn't mind) ;)

Another great historical read as you start your log Heinrich. Looking foward to following this one too.
Hey, someone moved my "reserved" seat sign - Jimsky looks guilty! But that's ok because I brought my portable chair with me, just in case :D.
A big welcome Roger! This log will be detailed as I can possibly make it - and yes - it will be interspersed with history as we sail along.

...didn't mean to spoil your view, hence offer my spot in exchange for your folding chair (if Peter @Peter Voogt doesn't mind) ;)
No need to do that Jimsky. I build in my kitchen which is gigantic by Chinese standards. So whilst, perusing the build, there will be some home-cooked Chinese foods and snacks on offer all the time.

Back