Hiya from Anthony Nel in Cape Town

Hey Model Enthusiasts, my name is Anthony Nel. I hail from the sunny and often windy port of Cape Town, South Africa AKA the Cape of Good Hope and the Cape of Storms. I enjoy Mountain Biking and Techy stuff. I have never built a scale model before, but wish to build something for my grandson to look at one day. I have a rough "souvenir scale" simple model of the french gunship the Superbe, Circa 1785, purchased in a market in Maurtius, that I would like to make a similar model of (preferably from a kit as I have some basic tools including a Dremel 4000, but do not have a loft of spare time to build from scratch. Any recommendations on the type of scale kit suitable for a beginner, basic tool requirements etc. welcome.

there are a number of French ships with the name Superbe seeing you give the date as 1785 i would say we are talking about a 74 gun ship of the line.

so we need to search out kits of the same type of ship

Ships named Superbe[edit]​

i am not a kit builder so i can not comment on quality or difficulty in building these kits i do not think these are beginner kits but with help from members of the forum you may be able to build them.

recommendations on the type of scale kit suitable for a beginner

it is rare a kit for a beginner would be a 74 gun ship of the line

mc.JPGsu1.JPG

san.JPG

Welcome aboard Ants, nice to have a fellow countryman over here!
I learned the lesson the hard way, trying to build a Mayflower as my first model, just frustrated myself and ended up doing exactly what you have in mind, building the much simpler Marie Jeanne.
Tool wise, you don't need much, as sharp blade some wood glue and lots of patience and you should be able to produce a satisfactory result.
If you hit a snag the guys on this forum is always available with advice and tips.
Good luck!

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
If you like the Marie Jeanne - than make the decision to buy this kit - a very good one for beginners and you personally like her, so the best combination.

Back