HM Bark ENDEAVOUR - Eaglemoss Kit

HM Bark Endeavour
Scale 1:48
lenght 916mm x height 765mm x width 337mm
Sails: square-rigged, Three-masted bark
Tonnage: 336 2/3 tons
Crew: 83 Officers and men
Armament: Ten 4-pounder carriage guns, twelve 1-pounder swivel guns

Sailing under command of James Cook, The Endeavour left Portsmouth in August 1768 and, in April 1770, became the first British vessel yo reach Australia.

Three years ago I decided to buy the HM Bark Endeavour , the Eaglemoss kit, an offer of £75.00 for the kit and 100 issues, but it was part build up to issue 40 with the first planking ready. The build was covered with a lot of filler and I had to sand quite a lot. I also bought mahogany 0.6 strips for the second planking and this was my first time to build a large boat. This project was my first project to build a double planking sailing ship. After the sanding I started to glue the mahogany strips cut in 20mm length to cover the hull. During this process I saw that their were spaces between the strips and I fill with brown filler (a big mistake as I had ruined the hull)., then after some thoughts I decided to continue the project with the same colours of the Endeavour replica, white hull, and yellow ochre and French blue.

01a.jpg

01b.jpg

01c.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Built up masts ready to step to the hull are independent parts…you can step them in any order when ready. Thus, if the bowsprit is ready go ahead and step it in place. Most of us type A goobers like order so we step masts in a sequence bow to stern or stern to bow as opposed to random. I like starting with the bow sprit then working aft. In addition, I normally step a mast and work in the lower stays before stepping the next mast. Your build is looking good! Well done…

Hi Daniel, Thanks for your comment. The problem is that I have limited workspace and if I put the bowsprit in place I might damage it.

Maybe you should try to repair this crack along the line, somehow that the outer side is in the same height like the inner side.
Seems that you produced some forces down with shroud 3 or 4

Joe, how did do the nails on the decking! They look great and I'm getting ready to do the same on the Essex. Thanks, Magic Mike

Hello Mike, I use very sharpened soft graphite pencil to simulate the nails on deck . Press gently and clean with a brush. Frequently sharpen the pencil after each row to have a sharp pointed pencil. When complete then paint with Acrylic clear varnish. Hope this helps.
Joe

IMG_20230307_092012.jpg

Back