HM Cutter Alert 1777 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I am back at my shipyard after a long summer break. I started with the main hatchway to make the deck fittings. As always, I use milling machine when making the grating elements. I used a sandpaper that I attached to a pot to make the camber on the grating. (for those looking for a practical way to create this camber)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg)

Last edited:
Very clever idea with the sanding device for the curve :cool:
and very accurate gratings - Bravo - well done

To make it 100% , Frank is correct
when you take a look at the Anatomy book of the Alert, you can see that the coaming of this parts are laying on top of the beams and carlings and not the planking
IMG_24371a.jpg

If you sand the contact area so accurate that they are laying flash on top of the planking you see only a line. And the "wrong" installation will be not visible.

IMG_24371b.jpg
I made two sketches into the longitudinal cross section:
on the left like you made it - visible is the red line - green are the tree nails
on the right side how the construction was done in real - visible is only the red line

Only the nailing of the deck planking could be adjusted or better completed, because the deck planks are ending at the coaming (green dotts in the above sketch)

top view and the nailing pattern
IMG_24381.jpg

Frank and Uwe, thank you very much for your advice and suggestions. I will definitely consider it.
I have started working on the windlass. Some parts in the photos have not been glued and fixed yet. Just dry fitting.

22.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Last edited:
Morning mate. I don't suppose you're geared up to making videos of some of your processes? I can adapt my drill press to make a milling machine but I'm not practiced with one.
Hope you're well
Bob
Hello Bob.. I am not very good at making and sharing videos :) But if you need a specific video I try to make it for you. Yes you can convert your drill press into a milling machine by adding a coordinate table.

Last edited:
Back