Hmmm Question, Questions!

Good Evening All,

Well my second post here as a new member and I have been looking through the forums and build threads trying to find any information on the differences in the Amati Sovereign of The Seas and the Mantua Sovereign of The Seas.

Plus the for and against for doing a scratch build from the plans vs a kit build.

Or should I build something like the Victory before going for the Sovereign of the Seas.

I guess we could tackle this one at a time and as there are more experienced builders here on the site any input would be greatly appreciated.

So first up, having only built 2 scale model ships in the past, being The Endeavour and The Bounty plus 1 full size 25ft motor launch. I was keen to do a scratch build from a set of plans, that way there is a smaller cash outlay to start and for some reason feel it would give me great satisfaction on completion. Plus, I have some spare timber from previous builds. What are your thoughts on starting from scratch instead of a kit build?

Secondly, does anyone know what the difference is between the Amati SoS and the Mantua? Which would be the “most” historically accurate, I know this is a huge can of worms due to the limited information on the original but from your experience which is the nicer to model.

Thirdly, should I go for the Sovereign of the Seas first up as it’s something I have really wanted to build for some time, however, only having built 2 scale model ships in the past will it be above my pay grade and if so would the Victory make for a challenging step up prior to building the SoS. Noting how long it takes to build these beauties should I just go for what I really want to build straight up. Either way the Victory still makes for an impressive model.

Thanks a million guys your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the site, if you are interested in scratch building, we have a project here for the Blandford Cross Section. It is an introductory exercise in scratch building and has a lot of build logs at various stages of the build. A group build is a great way to learn different building techniques and develop your own building style.
Mike

I do not have experience with either of the Sos kit ,but I would assume that the Amati is better quality than the Mantua .

If scratch building SoS I am not sure how you are going to make all these moldings and ornamentation.

I was going to purchase the decorations, so the build wouldn't be totally scratch. You could carve them like in the book by one of the modelers on here. Might take 20 years to build though :).

If scratch building SoS I am not sure how you are going to make all these moldings and ornamentation.
This is a very good point.
I think also, that a Sovereign or also a Victory as a first scratch built would be a very intensive task, which will define the next 3, 5 or even 7 years of your modeling time.
And to learn all the necessary construction methods will be not easy with a big model like these.
If you want to try scratch building, the first thing to think about is the POF or POB decision, than the scale is also a decision, which is often limited to the available space in your workshop. I do not know exactly, but the hull of the Victory will be in scale 1:48 appr. 1,4 m long - fully rigged 1,6m long....
means often, that for such big ships, you have to use smaller scales, means 1:64 or 1:72 or so......

If you want to try scratch, maybe really try to make a smaller project, like the Blandford section model, as Mike proposed or take a look at the Planset reviews we have, there are some very good vessels to try - also the construction time will be much much shorter and you find very fast, if it is yours

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/overview-of-available-plan-set-monographie-reviews.2888/

Also you can chosse a much simplier shi to build as Pob,there sre plenty of kit plans out there.

Pob is plank on bulkhead like most kits designed.Pof is plank on frame.,I need to get some images for reference to show you

Steve there is another option, it is what I like to call a SEMI-SCRATCH build CHECK THE LUMBER YARD SEMI KITS, for me the best one to learn by is THE LUMBERYARD CAUSTIC GREAT POF MODEL especially for your first scratch build, the instructions are on youtube, DAVE STEVENS(LUMBERYARD) IS A MEMBER HERE HE CAN GIVE YOU ALL THE INFORMATION THAT YOU NEED CHECK IT OUT. HOPE THIS HELPS Don

Back