HMS Ajax 38 gun frigate. Euromodel [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you Jimsky.
This last year has been great since I started participating in this forum.
I have learned with you guys building logs like never before.

It will be great if I could only finish my rudder hinges. I think I can I think I can.

Reactions: Ken
Hello Everyone. Thank you all for your kind comments and best wishes. This old man got down to finishing off the head area with the addition of the grating. It's pretty close to the plan, just one less rung. The plan required about .8 square rails, as they were going to be butt jointed I thought that this would make them too frail so I used 2 x 2mm and after sanding down a bit they looked ok.129.jpg

The head and the grating is a very intricate process. To create those weird twist and curves takes lots of patience and skills.
You did well Ken.
Like always.
Have a good modeling day.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone. Thank you all for your kind comments and best wishes. This old man got down to finishing off the head area with the addition of the grating. It's pretty close to the plan, just one less rung. The plan required about .8 square rails, as they were going to be butt jointed I thought that this would make them too frail so I used 2 x 2mm and after sanding down a bit they looked ok.View attachment 218866
This question of scale is one I struggle with. Not only is making tiny things tiny enough difficult - but they sometimes seem too small in the end. What are your thoughts on this? How do you determine what can be done or what should be done?

E52F1819-1077-40D4-9408-38BE9D1BD3E9.jpeg433D4160-BBDF-48B1-AE23-4428375EC65F.jpeg
DAE35CE0-DE2E-44AF-ABB8-8E32F9E0EBDB.jpegB90CAC06-A1A9-4F39-B42F-C59FF494551C.jpeg364EBA42-24D5-4E4E-A228-DA4DFC484ABC.jpeg
CC1A44F7-3DD0-4D07-9D3D-2BAEC7564ACB.jpegWell my friend, you know that I probably don’t have as much experience as you. So based in that, now I recognize my limits and I don’t try to build small. Also when I’m working on a specific part of a specific ship I ask myself, How much will people notice this 3 hour task piece I’m doing here?
Yes I also understand we build for our own satisfaction and not for others.
Here is a sample of the head of a model that Im working on that took me an entire day to get it done and I know is not even close to what other guys can do in this forum.

Last edited:
View attachment 218915View attachment 218917View attachment 218918Well my friend, you know that I probably don’t have as much experience as you. So based in that, now I recognize my limits and I don’t try to build small. Also when I’m working on a specific part of a specific ship I ask myself, How much will people notice this 3 hour task piece I’m doing here?
Yes I also understand we build for our own satisfaction and not for others.
Here is a sample of the head of a model that Im working on that took me an entire day to get it done and I know is not even close to what other guys can do in this forum.

This is the Roter Lowe and it will be my next building blog.
For the sides decoration the kit included some printed cardboard.
I just couldn’t glue that junk on my model so I decided to hand paint them.
This process took me four days.
That is what we are talking about.
Some parts of the build we don’t really care how long it takes, we just enjoy doing it.

This question of scale is one I struggle with. Not only is making tiny things tiny enough difficult - but they sometimes seem too small in the end. What are your thoughts on this? How do you determine what can be done or what should be done?
Hi Paul. Thanks for thinking that I could give an answer to this often asked question but I must disappoint you, I’m not the chosen one. I said at the start of my log that I wasn’t concerned with scale and historical accuracy and that is my philosophy, it is for others to achieve it if they want. My opinion is that within reason if it looks right, is a good match for other components and your happy with it then it’s fine. I see builders use blocks for canons that look so obviously out of scale, they add them because they are part of the detailing but instead of looking better they do more to spoil the look. I have an excuse for not tackling tiny parts because of my missing fingers, but less is often more. On my canons instead of some blocks I just use eyelets and thread the ropes through these, if you look at my Victory and Royal William you’ll see this, it’s often been said to me that until I pointed it out on my logs that it wasn’t noticed. I think that the eye often sees what it expects and not what is actually there so some of these details are lost unless you are actually looking for them. Anyway that’s just my opinion and I respect everyone’s personal goal in modelling, its good to have a broad spectrum.

Last edited:
Hi Paul. Thanks for thinking that I could give an answer to this often asked question but I must disappoint you, I’m not the chosen one. I said at the start of my log that I wasn’t concerned with scale and historical accuracy and that is my philosophy, it is for others to achieve it if they want. My opinion is that within reason if it looks right, is a good match for other components and your happy with it then it’s fine. I see builders use blocks for canons that look so obviously out of scale, they add them because they are part of the detailing but instead of looking better they do more to spoil the look. I have an excuse for not tackling tiny parts because of my missing fingers, but less is often more. On my canons instead of some blocks I just use eyelets and thread the ropes through these, if you look at my Victory and Royal William you’ll see this, it’s often been said to me that until I pointed it out on my logs that it wasn’t noticed. I think that the eye often sees what it expects and not what is actually there so some of these details are lost unless you are actually looking for them. Anyway that’s just my opinion and I respect everyone’s personal goal in modelling, its good to have a broad spectrum.
I always say, do what looks good to you. That’s what I do on my ships. I’m not worried about historical accuracy. I build for enjoyment and to make something that I like. I am the one who will see it long after the build log is finished. ;)

Hello All. Thanks to those that have added posts to my log and for your likes, it makes interesting reading.
I've now almost caught up with the build, a couple more posts should get me there. I've missed out on photographing parts of the build, I don't know how but the log will move forward in chunks. I've made and fitted all the pinrails, rather more than I expected on a ship of this size, the one at the front is shown to have 32 pins, that is rather a lot on one rail, it may be ok on the full size but for a model is way too crowded, I put in 24, that is about as many as looks ok. I used the detailed measurements given in the plans for the side pinrails but when I came to fit them they were completely wrong and I had to remake them, I used the deck plan sheet this time and they fit perfectly, annoying! I made up the belfry and rails, no problem except for the size of the bell that was with the kit, it was about three times the correct size. I've shown the size against the plan as well as the one that I used. Euromodel must know that it would never fit so why try and get away with it and put it in their kit. To finish I put in some rails around the hatches, I used 2mm dowel with a waist sanded around the middle and roped them off.

131.jpg

130.jpg

Ken, you sure full speed ahead with your build.
Nothing stops you. I always like your approach to every detail and you did well with the bell.

Hello Everyone. Again another progress report with lots of pictures. Thank you all for your likes and interest. Yes Bluebeard it's always full speed ahead, no slacking here.

I think I have just about finished all the deck fittings and more beside, you'll need to study the pictures to see the progress, I'm not sure that I can remember them all to list. I particularly like the wheel/binacle combo, the wheel is much to fat and not really to scale but varnished and fitted it's acceptable. The compasses are left over portholes from my Amerigo Vespucci, I think put to good use. I'm going to make up and fit some rails in the midships, although not in the plan I think that the crew will be thankful as in rough weather the won't fall down into the gundeck.

141.jpg

142.jpg

143.jpg

146.jpg

147.jpg

148.jpg

150.jpg

151.jpg

Last edited:
Great work Ken - I think the ship's wheel is well executed! Thumbsup

Back