HMS Ajax 38 gun frigate. Euromodel [COMPLETED BUILD]

I dare make a remark. Look carefully at the winding direction of the coils and at the running ends of the hoists. Some do not match in the direction of winding.

I dare make a remark. Look carefully at the winding direction of the coils and at the running ends of the hoists. Some do not match in the direction of winding.
That doesn’t worry me, I’m only showing my method to coil rope not giving a lesson in perfection. In any case this is hardly seen as it’s on a lower deck, the boat supports, rigging and a couple of ships boats above mostly hide them, this was only half way through a build from some years ago that I had pictures of to show, I’m happy with how it looks.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone. Again thanks for your comments and many likes.

Well this is another episode in the tale of woe about this kit. I was going to rig the upper deck canons which I’ve now made but I ran out of my stock of small eyelets then realised that none were supplied with the kit so I ordered more. Whilst waiting for them I decided to fit the deadeyes, herein is the issue. The deadeyes are held in with the normal type of strops, and then according to the plan there is a link in the middle, then the holding plate which is nailed to the hull. The strop is ok, too long but can be cut to size, there is no middle link supplied and the holding plate is about twice the length that it should be, it is brass with an eyelet at each end. I tried to shorten it but the brass is too hard to re-make the eyelet so it means that these can’t be used. These are exactly the same as were supplied in my Royal William kit, they fit that model fine, a much larger ship so there was going to be no way that they would ever fit a small frigate. This is just another case of putting stock items in the kit that are the wrong size and scale. Euromodel must know that they are wrong as the model that they show on there site has them made up without the bracket or centre link but with the strop just nailed to the hull so why supply them with the kit?

I’m going to put this model on hold for a while so until I re start the build this will be its last update.

I’ve decided to try something completely different for a change, a Messerschmitt BF109. This is an open frame built from photo etch. It is very detailed using mostly metal parts and is similar to the Pocher kits, so wish me luck on it. When it’s done I’ll re start my Ajax.

221.jpg

222.jpg

But can we hope to see also your work on your Messerschmitt?
You know, that we have a special area for building logs of other genres - Would be very interesting for me to see such a kit

Hello Everyone, Thanks for your comments and likes. As requested I've just started a build log of my 109G, you may be interested.
Dean, I really like your choice of project. I'd eyed that up myself but thought it was so intricate and finely detailed that it was a too long and difficult project for me, a major and interesting build that I hope you enjoy.
Another interesting find for me was a back copy of a magazine which included a build by Keith Julier of the Ajax. I noted that he encounted exactly the same issues as myself, gallery castings, chains, stock parts and more. Having said that I'm already missing the build and I'm looking forward to re starting, you sometimes don't realise how much you enjoy something until you stop

222.jpg

Hello All. If you had been following my build of the Ajax you will know that I became a bit disillusioned with the kit and stopped enjoying building it. I put it away a couple of years ago and moved on to other projects, away from ships, and over time stopped following S.O.S. I recently in a moment of madness logged on and started to read many of the build logs, many pleasant and interesting hours were passed, I was very impressed at so many of the builds and excellent logs by members, too many to mention here but well done to all that have contributed. Reading these has re-ignited my interest and so I retrieved Ajax from my attic, dusted it down, set up my work area and have now resumed my build. I feel good about it as I have never failed to finish a project, this though came pretty close to being the first.

I have decided to just get it finished, and not worry about authentic fine detailing, I don’t want to get too involved and become disillusioned again but just get over the finishing line and move on to a model that I can have a love affair with, so forgive me if this build now seems to be a bit hurried and simplistic.

You may recall that I had issues with the kits chain/deadeye parts and fit so I made up my own, they are a simple affair but given my new agenda for the build I think that they look acceptable. I’ve put together the makings of the bowsprit, again simple but the proportions are right, I’ll fit it out later and I’m now starting on the masts.

01.jpg

02.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Hi Ken,
Great to see you are back with the Ajax. I enjoyed following your work (and frustrations) and will certainly be keeping an eye on your continuing build.
Pete
Hi, Pete, Thanks, it’s good to be back, I’ve forgotten the frustrations and now feel good about Ajax again, a new beginning, I think it will end well.

Hi Ken,
I look forward to watching your build. I have Euromodel's Ajax and Falmouth. One of them will be my next build. I suspect i will sell whichever I do not build. I don't think I will get to another one.
I have collected a fair amount of research from the Euromodel site but it is probably a few years old and fairly scattered. Let me know if you think any of it might be useful. But, from the stage you are in I think you probably already know all of it.
Richard

Hello All. If you had been following my build of the Ajax you will know that I became a bit disillusioned with the kit and stopped enjoying building it. I put it away a couple of years ago and moved on to other projects, away from ships, and over time stopped following S.O.S. I recently in a moment of madness logged on and started to read many of the build logs, many pleasant and interesting hours were passed, I was very impressed at so many of the builds and excellent logs by members, too many to mention here but well done to all that have contributed. Reading these has re-ignited my interest and so I retrieved Ajax from my attic, dusted it down, set up my work area and have now resumed my build. I feel good about it as I have never failed to finish a project, this though came pretty close to being the first.

I have decided to just get it finished, and not worry about authentic fine detailing, I don’t want to get too involved and become disillusioned again but just get over the finishing line and move on to a model that I can have a love affair with, so forgive me if this build now seems to be a bit hurried and simplistic.

You may recall that I had issues with the kits chain/deadeye parts and fit so I made up my own, they are a simple affair but given my new agenda for the build I think that they look acceptable. I’ve put together the makings of the bowsprit, again simple but the proportions are right, I’ll fit it out later and I’m now starting on the masts.

View attachment 385152

View attachment 385153

View attachment 385154

View attachment 385155
Good to see you back again, Ken. We missed your excellent build log entries and your top-flight photography.

Hi Ken,
I look forward to watching your build. I have Euromodel's Ajax and Falmouth. One of them will be my next build. I suspect i will sell whichever I do not build. I don't think I will get to another one.
I have collected a fair amount of research from the Euromodel site but it is probably a few years old and fairly scattered. Let me know if you think any of it might be useful. But, from the stage you are in I think you probably already know all of it.
Richard
Hi Richard, Thanks for your like and your offer of help. I’m going to wing it from here, the plans are somewhat difficult to follow in places especially the rigging so my plan is for a generic adaptation, my Caldercraft HMS Fly is a similar era frigate so I’m going to use that as my guide, keep it simple, no more frustration.

View attachment 385152

View attachment 385153

View attachment 385154

View attachment 385155
Good to see you back on the SoS and picked up this build, Ken. And some personal ad-on’s are always nice to see.
Regards, Peter

View attachment 385152

View attachment 385153

View attachment 385154

View attachment 385155
UNTIL NOW ABSOLUTELY PERFECT TO ME. She looks well, her gunports perfect so please go, and not listen to there are more the Pope, than the Pope himself
You are now coming to the mast and by then the Riggen, where I am/was quite strong. I have a lot of detailed info about the de subject
I am you have been a not following S:O.S. that mush myself for several reasons. you can always contact me. At least once a week I will have a look

UNTIL NOW ABSOLUTELY PERFECT TO ME. She looks well, her gunports perfect so please go, and not listen to there are more the Pope, than the Pope himself
You are now coming to the mast and by then the Riggen, where I am/was quite strong. I have a lot of detailed info about the de subject
I am you have been a not following S:O.S. that mush myself for several reasons. you can always contact me. At least once a week I will have a look
Hi, Thanks for your comment on my Ajax and for your kind offer of help. You are correct in saying that it is too good a model not to finish. I think that frustration with a kit is often just in the mind when other factors on your life come into play, having started again I find that I’m quite enthusiastic about it and I can’t fully understand why I stopped. Re-visiting the SOS site I’ve also realised just how friendly everyone is.

Back