HMS ALERT 1777 cutter POF by shota70 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello dear friends
Today I started the new Alert project.
first I read some of the blogs, and they were very helpful.
In the first step I completed the numbering of the parts in two boards out of the five components of the jig, not numbered. after that I started in the first phase of the jig building, I attaching a few pictures of the construction stages.IMG-20211206-WA0003.jpeg
20211206_205645.jpg20211206_210631.jpg20211206_210958.jpg20211206_212310.jpg20211206_213524.jpg20211206_221912.jpg
I have a few comments on the kit:
The kit does look promising and invested. Removing the parts from the jig boards is relatively easy, The difficulty is in connecting the different parts into each other. It does not go in smooth and requires effort and even widening the holes and since it is made of compressed cardboard it may even tear, see the picture
20211206_212935.jpg
. I was able to catch up with the other parts and widtha glue.
Unfortunately I discovered that one part of the kit came damaged - a pear wood panel came out damaged as a kind of natural of the wood and no quality control was performed.
20211206_214611.jpg
I would love to get a replacement board from the manufacturer.
I very much hope to enjoy this beautiful model, I would love to receive comments from your experience.:)
Good night friends

Welcome to the group build, my friend! We wish you a great time assembling this great ship model. All timber in the kit is cherry wood and should be enouph to complete, even the part you showing is brocken.

Let us know if you have any questions. Good Luck!

Will watch with great interest, you should have plenty of the thin strip even with the damaged bit on the board, think I recall some of the parts(only one or two, not many) are numbered wrong but sure you will soon figure that out. Good luck with the build it is great fun to make

I am very happy, that you started now the Alert build and building log.
I am looking forward to see your progress on this model.
BTW, I have a similar opinion like Jim. This wooden sheet with the small damage seems to be only a small knothole. These strips are for some carlings or something similar. This type of wooden sheets is in the meantime often used by the manufacturer in exchange of wooden strips....easier to transport and production.
So I am by 100% sure, that the parts of this sheet will be enough for their purpose.

Last edited:
I am very happy, that you started now the Alert build and building log.
I am looking forward to see your progress on this model.
BTW, I have a similar opinion like Jim. This wooden sheet with the small damage seems to be only a small knothole. These strips are for some carlings or something similar. This type of wooden sheets is in the meantime often used by the manufacturer in exchange of wooden strips....easier to transport and production.
So I am by 100% sure, that the parts of this sheet will be enough for their purpose.
thanks Dear friend, by the way I get a lot of help from your blog about the model.:)Thumbsup

Ignore the damage part its not an issue Those items are individual 2 x 2 wood strips cut into single sheets for removal , they are used for the upper deck supports, buildling the cabins & walls etc and general use. There are several sheet and you will not use all the strips. For some reason a lot of the chinese kits do this. Its up to you to remove from thre sheet as needed. I discussed in my log.

Hello Shota. It is great to see that you have started another POF build. I will follow your progress and wish you all the success.

good evening dear friends
Today I continued to prepare the jig of the model according to the instructions and the drawings in the instruction booklet which are very clear. I stopped at this point to allow the glue to dry and the structure of the jig to crystallize / strengthen.
I attach pictures
20211209_190418.jpg20211209_190426.jpg20211209_190452.jpg20211209_190627.jpg20211209_191131.jpg20211209_190634.jpg20211209_194706.jpg20211209_202612.jpg20211209_202524.jpg20211209_202550.jpg

Dear Jim
According to the pictures above I probably glue those parts them. Unfortunately I missed the warning you did give on your blog. I would be happy to explain why they should not be pasted and also get advice on how to correct the mistake

Dear Jim
According to the pictures above I probably glue those parts them. Unfortunately I missed the warning you did give on your blog. I would be happy to explain why they should not be pasted and also get advice on how to correct the mistake
If you use water-based glue (PVA), you should try loosening the joints with water. Just be careful to moist the parts, they are MDF and it doesn't like to be wet. Get the cotton swab and try moistening only the glue sim. Then use a very sharp blade and cut\pry the slots.

Those parts must be removable for later use when you will need to remove the hull from the berth for outside sanding and then put it back in to berth for internal work.

If you use water-based glue (PVA), you should try loosening the joints with water. Just be careful to moist the parts, they are MDF and it doesn't like to be wet. Get the cotton swab and try moistening only the glue sim. Then use a very sharp blade and cut\pry the slots.

Those parts must be removable for later use when you will need to remove the hull from the berth for outside sanding and then put it back in to berth for internal work.
thanks for your guidance

Back