Hms Alert by Maarten [COMPLETED BUILD]

Looking very good - very well done my friend
Is the white metal parts blackened with Ballistol (normal), or did you use a different fluid?
I have every time some problems with the different blackening of f.e. brass parts soldered with "Lötzinn"

Looking very good - very well done my friend
Is the white metal parts blackened with Ballistol (normal), or did you use a different fluid?
I have every time some problems with the different blackening of f.e. brass parts soldered with "Lötzinn"
Hi Uwe, I just blackened with Ballistol but had to degrease with acetone to get it properly blackened. It bleckened within seconds and I am using a brush to brush the parts while in the Balistol solution.

Hi Uwe, I just blackened with Ballistol but had to degrease with acetone to get it properly blackened. It bleckened within seconds and I am using a brush to brush the parts while in the Balistol solution.
Many Thanks already - My last question: Do you mix the Ballistol with water f.e. 50:50 or you use pure Ballistol?

Ballistol ? When I search it in Google I find Ballistol oil. Can you show a picture or share a link ?

Thank you !!
Daniel

Ballistol ? When I search it in Google I find Ballistol oil. Can you show a picture or share a link ?

Thank you !!
Daniel

Take a look here

but iut seems, that they offer only oil in the States

we discussed this short time ago here:

All the work for nothing:).
For my new stand ideas I decided to colour the PS side of the hull. The stern post and stem with black ecoline. The under water ship with yellowish anti fouling made of titanium white acrilic mixed with dark brown, yellow and black pigment inkts all dilluted with water. The above water planking with bitumen of judea.
The current look of the PS side.
20211111_174045.jpg

For my new stand ideas I decided to colour the PS side of the hull. The stern post and stem with black ecoline. The under water ship with yellowish anti fouling made of titanium white acrilic mixed with dark brown, yellow and black pigment inkts all dilluted with water. The above water planking with bitumen of judea.
View attachment 268894

Why you did that ? I loved as it was before. But is your ship :)

Cheers
Daniel

Haha I knew this would cause some questionmarks. For me this model is to experiment with new materials and techniques.
In a short time the ship will be launched into the water and therefore I decided the outside hull had to look like the actial ship looked. The oak was tarred with pine tar, the lower hull was treated with a mixture of tar, pitch, fat and brimstone. This layer had and off white yellowish colour. Wait and see. :)

As Brian said the SB side will be plain wood with only some shellack.

Haha I knew this would cause some questionmarks. For me this model is to experiment with new materials and techniques.
In a short time the ship will be launched into the water and therefore I decided the outside hull had to look like the actial ship looked. The oak was tarred with pine tar, the lower hull was treated with a mixture of tar, pitch, fat and brimstone. This layer had and off white yellowish colour. Wait and see. :)

As Brian said the SB side will be plain wood with only some shellack.
Daredevil...

Yes, we'll see the end result. I also got a lot of comments when I started the painting on my Spanish Galleon. After I finished her, everybody was impressed. So Maarten delight us. I trust a nice end result considering what you have shown us so far.

View attachment 268894
The colors looks great, Maarten.

Next is the anchor. The anchor stock is partly cnc made but needs to be sanded tapered.
The iron strips are pewter parts, same as the anchor itself. All again burnished with ballistol.
20211111_211747.jpg

The treenails burned into the anchor stock and a ring through the anchor and soldered.
20211112_203809.jpg

The ring is wrapped in rope.
20211112_205616.jpg

And the rope I tarred with bitumen of judea, in this case charbonnel etsing ground ultra flex.
20211112_205912.jpg

PS no paint suprise today :).

Back