Hms Alert by Maarten [COMPLETED BUILD]

Oh...yes, the door is the perfect match to the bulkhead walls: stylish and sounds! Of cause, as you promised you made those doors 'workable'. I do love the brass hardware and the key left outside (I think it is dangerous to leave a key like that) :cool: Oh...and the few large heads of cheese? What kind, Bree or Swiss?
It is ofcourse a british hard cheese, a red leicester.
0wo1j6ni57s71.jpg

Last edited:
Dear Maarten @dockattner Paul said this the best. Clearly you and I are participating in different hobbies. At one stage I thought I could at least TRY to emulate what you did on the Royal Caroline, but with this build you have moved the goalposts so far out of my reach that I can only sit back and admire your work. Thank heavens I am not building ships with detailed interiors like these. Hats off to you my friend - you are building something really exquisite!

A variety of selection for brass\copper tubing in most of the shapes made by Albion alloys

Also K $ S Alloy

A variety of selection for brass\copper tubing in most of the shapes made by Albion alloys

Also K $ S Alloy

These are from Albion, K&S is not supplying these very small diameters.

First: Amazing. Can't find a better word. Those hinges are mad Redface

Then: I think I missed something. Did You cut the top part of the frames?
Too long since since I followed Your progress, I have to read trough the whole thread again o_O

First: Amazing. Can't find a better word. Those hinges are mad Redface

Then: I think I missed something. Did You cut the top part of the frames?
Too long since since I followed Your progress, I have to read trough the whole thread again o_O
Haha, I have cut the ship horizontally in half and make it an exploded view model.
20210206_110850.jpg20210206_130808.jpg

Before I can install the bulkheads I have to fit the door first.
The supplied door is a very simple thin cherry board with some lasered lines on it.
Like @Jimsky did I decided to make my own doors.
I got some cherry from my stock and cut and planed it to proper thickness.
View attachment 283237

Cut a pice to fit the door opening of which the door to the hold has no framing. On the door I have drawn the contour of the panels.
View attachment 283238

Now with double adhesive tape I glue my door on the milling table.
View attachment 283239

First with a straight mill I make the panels.
View attachment 283240

Followed by a spheric mill to add a profile to the panel.
View attachment 283241

Left the kit supplied e ample and right my alternative.
View attachment 283242

Yeah again hinge making, my favorite.
The hinges for these door I make from brass pipe of 0,6 mm and brass plate.
View attachment 283243

The pipe I solder on top of the plate.
View attachment 283244

After this I sand of the remainder of the plate so the plate and pipe will create one solid part in the shape of the figure 6.
Then I push a 0,35 mm wire in the pipe to avoid crushing it while I cut tiny pieces of it to make the hinge parts.
These cut of parts I sand to the correct height, I bend the end to a 90 deg angle, cut a small slot in the door to glue in the hinge piece to get a sturdy connection.
View attachment 283245

For the frame part of the hinge also a 90 deg angled fit into the frame.
View attachment 283246

The frame is fitted on the bulkhead.
Additionally I have made a lock on the door with a key to keep the crew out of the officers spaces in the rear of the ship.
View attachment 283247

Offcourse the door is fully functional and can be opened and closed.
View attachment 283248

Here you see the hinge fitting on the inside which gives a better construction then just a glued joint.
View attachment 283249

The bulkhead is finally fitted.
View attachment 283250
View attachment 283251

Together with the store rooms. The PS store is the dry provision store.
For this I made two shelfs and on the top shelf I made two big English Red Leicester cheeses, uhh boxwood cheeses :). Also a barrel of salted pork and some bags with beans will follow.
View attachment 283254
View attachment 283255
View attachment 283253
View attachment 283252

And an overview of the current status.
View attachment 283256
Just magnificent skill and detail Maarten. Quite inspiring.

Back