Hms Alert by Maarten [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hey people!
You really are so blind and naive. War is raging 500 km from my house. Or 800 km from Germany...
Thousands of people die every day. At least a million women and children are on the run while their men are fighting. Tens of thousands of refugees come to our country every day and continue west. Three nuclear power plants in Eastern Europe are under fire or burning...
...and you are solving the problem with delayed delivery of chisels???

Delete it or ban me, but you're really out of reality.

Radek
Hi Radek,

We are very well aware of that and if you read my message well you see I mean this very cynical. For me this is also close to home and it certainly worries all of us.

Hey people!
You really are so blind and naive. War is raging 500 km from my house. Or 800 km from Germany...
Thousands of people die every day. At least a million women and children are on the run while their men are fighting. Tens of thousands of refugees come to our country every day and continue west. Three nuclear power plants in Eastern Europe are under fire or burning...
...and you are solving the problem with delayed delivery of chisels???

Delete it or ban me, but you're really out of reality.

Radek
You are reading with your emotions @rawen and this is good for all of us to do from time to time. Of course, chisels are of no consequence in the face of war. I'm sorry if my post even hinted at such a thing.

On to the last space on the lower deck which needs some decoration. The boatswain store.

I decided that my ship needed a grinding wheel. At first I wanted to put that in the boatswain store but that seems to be too small.
So it will be placed next to the store room and also easy accesible for the cook with his knives.

First I looked for a suitable 18th century model and this was my choice.
Slijpsteen-4.jpeg

From some lignum vitae I made a grinding stone. From lignum vitae actually sheaves were made on real ship as it is very hard and self lubricating.
Together with some rest material and a 0,4 mm steel wire I made a grinding stone set.
20220309_184900.jpg
20220309_193041.jpg

And placed it next to the store room and coal pit.
20220309_195631.jpg

The store room itself will also be decorated and I used this picture of hms Victory boatswain store as inspiration.
42cd83e2613263c5fcfdf28fa2e16eea.jpg

Starting with the tapered barrel. Made it from pear wood, saw the planks with a japanese saw and made hoops from heat shrink.
20220309_202043.jpg

Colored it with bitumen.
20220309_202759.jpg

More to come next time.

Now the lower deck is almost finished I have been walking around inside and made some pictures.
See below an impression of how it is to walk around HMS Alert.

The Boatswain store
100IPLEX_00359.JPG

In front of the store
100IPLEX_00363.JPG
100IPLEX_00383.JPG

Walking inside the sail room
100IPLEX_00365.JPG
100IPLEX_00381.JPG

And on to the dry provision
100IPLEX_00367.JPG
100IPLEX_00399.JPG

Through the hatch into the hold
100IPLEX_00379.JPG
100IPLEX_00371.JPG

The shot locker
100IPLEX_00385.JPG

Fresh air into the officiers accomodation
100IPLEX_00389.JPG

With below the powder room
100IPLEX_00387.JPG

Into the captains quarters
100IPLEX_00391.JPG
100IPLEX_00393.JPG
100IPLEX_00369.JPG

And in the aft peak the bread room
100IPLEX_00395.JPG
100IPLEX_00397.JPG

Finally jumping over board and just see the the ship drifting away.
100IPLEX_00375.JPG

Extremely nice work Maarten.I had to do a double take with your pictures as they could be that looking at a full size vessel.

I bought an Endoscope from Aldi's middle isle, works great but doubt I can use it for pictures unless I just took a picture of the screen display.I bought it thinking it will come in when doing internal joints inside Saint Philippe and I need to look at something I do not have direct vision of.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Extremely nice work Maarten.I had to do a double take with your pictures as they could be that looking at a full size vessel.

I bought an Endoscope from Aldi's middle isle, works great but doubt I can use it for pictures unless I just took a picture of the screen display.I bought it thinking it will come in when doing internal joints inside Saint Philippe and I need to look at something I do not have direct vision of.

Kind Regards

Nigel
THX Nigel, zooming in like this I always see things that need improvement :).
The borescope I used here is a professional one I actually use it for technical inspections looking inside large engines etc. One of these is costing something like a mid size luxury car so certainly not for hobby purposes.
The small set ALDI sells are certainly worth the money and for hobby these are perfect.

After finishing the lower part of the ship it is time to start the main deck.
On al the deck beams I measured the center between the notches for the carlings and marked it.
20220316_190131.jpg

Through the hull I set a centre line with a wire between stem and stern.
20220316_191739.jpg

Now I finish the deck beams so they nicely line up with the centre line.
20220316_205646.jpg

Now I will be sure my carlings will follow a straight line and are not all over the place.

After glueing in the beams I put a ruler with a weight on top to glue them in position.
20220316_205808.jpg

After the deckbeams the horizontal knees are next. All these knees are bolted to the beams and frames.
20220323_192028.jpg
20220323_192037.jpg

The stern section knees are almost in.
20220323_204520.jpg
20220323_204531.jpg

Thanks for showing us your way of "centerlining" of the beams
-> very important that later on the carlings and ledges are in a straight line and accurate

But what I realized is, that the knees - laying are visible, but also the notches are indicating, that the hanging knees are relatively slim
The notches for the ledges in the knees have rounded edges (caused by the cnc cut) and you installed them already -> so I guess, that you will sand them afterwards with a square needle file, or?

Thanks for showing us your way of "centerlining" of the beams
-> very important that later on the carlings and ledges are in a straight line and accurate

But what I realized is, that the knees - laying are visible, but also the notches are indicating, that the hanging knees are relatively slim
The notches for the ledges in the knees have rounded edges (caused by the cnc cut) and you installed them already -> so I guess, that you will sand them afterwards with a square needle file, or?
Hi Uwe,

Thx for the comment and very well observed.
Yes I will file the notches only when the carlings are fitted. This enables me to fit the ledges also a straight as possible because you have some room for corrections.
The spacings in the carlings are already a proper fit for the ledges.

After fitting the lodging knees I will first sand the beams and knees before fitting the carlings and ledges, the hanging knees I will fit as last.

In the mean time all the lodging knees are fitted.
All fitted with bolts made by anealed wire rounded with a cup burr.
20220331_212212.jpg

Next is starting with the carlings. The milled spaces are slightly smaller then the width of the carling so this enables you for some fine tuning.
I cut the side a little to fit into the notches.
20220401_150647.jpg

I use a cutting matt to check the allignment of the carlings to the center line.
20220401_150533.jpg

To produce lines as straight as possible.
20220401_155912.jpg

Gradually the carlings fill in their spaces.
20220401_170925.jpg
20220401_170934.jpg

The carlings look great Maarten and a clever idea to use the lines of the cutting mat as a reference point.

In the mean time all the lodging knees are fitted.
All fitted with bolts made by anealed wire rounded with a cup burr.
View attachment 300176

Next is starting with the carlings. The milled spaces are slightly smaller then the width of the carling so this enables you for some fine tuning.
I cut the side a little to fit into the notches.
View attachment 300177

I use a cutting matt to check the allignment of the carlings to the center line.
View attachment 300178

To produce lines as straight as possible.
View attachment 300179

Gradually the carlings fill in their spaces.
View attachment 300180
View attachment 300181
Dear Maarten
wonderful work, it's looks beautiful and accurate, well done :)Thumbsup

Thx gents for your comments.

Not too much progress this weekend, alligning all the carlings is taking a lot of time. Secondly I put today a lot of time in my new project for which I am drawing plans at the moment.

As said carlings carlings carlings so most are in at the moment.
20220403_181151.jpg
20220403_181228.jpg

Back