HMS Alert by PeterM [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hallo everybody, few days ago I received the Alert kit from Trident Models. Everything went quickly and without any problems. I'd like to thank the administrators UweK, Zoly99sask and Jimsky for their help in ordering procedure, and of course Trident Model for the beautifull kit. I plan to build the model with the help of the instruction manual, AotS by Peter Goodwin on Alert and what is very important: the detailed build logs of the Alert Group Bild community. This is going to be my first build log on this forum.

I started with the keel, placing all the parts into the keel template after cleaning. Everything fitted well together and could be glued. I also sanded the cuts for the metal parts already at this stage of construction (they were a bit tight) which is easier than later with the frames attached.
I had a first look at the berth/construction jig/space ship and after some slight sanding started to glue it together. I did not glue nr.15 into the berth.
DSC01756.JPGDSC01748.JPGDSC01751.JPGDSC01765.JPGDSC01766.JPGDSC01768.JPG
That's it for the moment. To be continued soon.
Greetings
PeterM

Hallo everybody. Jimsky, thanks for Your kind words. I finished the berth. Everything fitted well after some small sanding. The frame slots were covered with Zapon varnish in order to fix the laser dust and avoid black stains on the frames.
DSC01770.JPGDSC01773.JPGDSC01774.JPGDSC01780.JPGDSC01784.JPGDSC01786.JPG
Next step will be the frames.
Greetings
PeterM

Hallo Peter,
I am very happy that you started your building lof of your HMS Alert.
I will follow your work and log with big interest

Hallo everybody. Uwek, thank You for Your reply. The first frames are in place. It was a little tricky to place them properly; a lot of sanding and fitting but at the end it worked.
DSC01801.JPGDSC01799.JPGDSC01794.JPGDSC01798.JPG
The frames 7-10 are the first ones with more components. Here the frame templates are very usefull to fit and glue the frames and bring them in the proper shape. I used the thin foil to avoid gluing the frames to the templates.
DSC01790.JPGDSC01793.JPGDSC01810.JPG
So now there are only few more left.
Greetings
PeterM

Hallo everybody. UweK, Jimsky, thanks for the kind words. A little update: I finished the cant frames. Before moving to stern assembling I tried the full frames 17-20, 17-18 beeing a double frame. No problems there except for enlarging the slots for the keel; You have to be very, very carefull, otherwise the tops break off while sanding and you have to improvise (glue a piece of wood and form a new top). I talk from my own experience.DSC01815.JPGDSC01824.JPGDSC01823.JPGDSC01820.JPGDSC01825.JPGDSC01830.JPGDSC01831.JPG
Greetings
PeterM

Hallo everybody. UweK, Jimsky, thanks for the kind words. A little update: I finished the cant frames. Before moving to stern assembling I tried the full frames 17-20, 17-18 beeing a double frame. No problems there except for enlarging the slots for the keel; You have to be very, very carefull, otherwise the tops break off while sanding and you have to improvise (glue a piece of wood and form a new top). I talk from my own experience.View attachment 263739View attachment 263740View attachment 263741View attachment 263742View attachment 263743View attachment 263744View attachment 263745
Greetings
PeterM
Hi peter, you are doing great.
Just a tip for sanding the frames use the templates provided to mark the frames on both sides then sand them on a disc sander and you wont break one, saves you a lot of time and frustration :).
I have a simple cheap Parkside disc sander from Lidl, works already for years and certainly one of the most used tool in my workshop.
Guess they have it in Germany also.

Hi UweK, Maarten, thank You. Maarten, I mean the small, narrow slots (4mm) where the frame slides into the keel. Since the keel is 5mm thick, you have to enlarge them. For the larger convex or straight surfaces I use sanding disc from Proxxon and for the concave ones, sanding rollers.DSC01836.JPGDSC01833.JPG
Of course I use the templates to glue the frames together and to mark the edges to be sanded.
Greetings
PeterM

Great looking frame work so far, keep it up and you will have the full hull framed in now time.

Love seeing all your photos, never can get enough of them in a build log to see what steps are done and what problems you have found and how to fix them.

Kurt

Hallo everybody. Kurt, UweK and Kidsgalore thanks for Your comments. I finished the stern cant frames. They fitted well with small sanding and cutting of the inside and outside edges.
DSC01861.JPGDSC01863.JPGDSC01865.JPGDSC01870.JPGDSC01871.JPG
In the overall view the model starts looking like a ship (with a big gap in the middle).
DSC01873.JPGDSC01875.JPG
Now I have a lot of work to fill in the gap but it is a lot of fun just like the whole model is.
Greetings
PeterM

Back