HMS Alert by PeterM [COMPLETED BUILD]

Very good work - the frames, surface and final appearance are a "dream in wood"

Mein neuer Spruch:
Wer Holz liebt kann etwas schönes daraus machen

und du liebst Holz - man sieht es an deinem Modell

Hallo everybody. Thanks for Your comments and likes. I started with the construction of the pump well and powder room area.DSC01950.JPGDSC01965.JPGDSC01958.JPGDSC01960.JPGDSC01963.JPG
Little side project: the barrel (one of the two provided by Trident Model).DSC01971.JPG
I start thinking about the deck planks for the lower and main deck. Trident Model provides cherry strips (4x1,5mm) which could be used for this purpose, I also have swiss pear but they are both quite dark and I used to build the decks with wood of rather lighter colour. I could use boxwood, castello, maple or lime wood. What do You think about it?
Greetings
PeterM

I start thinking about the deck planks for the lower and main deck. Trident Model provides cherry strips (4x1,5mm) which could be used for this purpose, I also have swiss pear but they are both quite dark and I used to build the decks with wood of rather lighter colour. I could use boxwood, castello, maple or lime wood. What do You think about it?
Greetings
PeterM
You are doing a great job, and also a fast builder! I would use either maple or boxwood, though boxwood is not as much white as maple.

You are doing a great job, and also a fast builder! I would use either maple or boxwood, though boxwood is not as much white as maple.
Yes, but if boxwood isn't seasoned very well it would have an enormous tendency to distort. Maple is a little on the soft side but isn't tricky to work with.

Hallo everybody. Tobias, Jim, Olympic1911 thanks for Your opinions and hints. It seems that it is going to be either boxwood or maple. I have a large reserve of boxwood seasoned for over ten years.
Galley 07.JPG
On one of my last models, Royal Caroline, the decks were made from boxwood.
DSC01675.JPG
I don't have any experience with maple but I'll wait till tomorrow when I should get a shipment with maple stripes , then I can compare them directly and decide which one I will use. Thanks once more for Your help.
Greetings
PeterM

I wish I had only a part of your surplus stock.

Most of my wood collections is left over strip wood from kits, and not of great quality to begin with.

Hallo everybody. Thanks for Your comments and likes. Boxwood or maple that is the question? In order to find out the answer I prepared two small decks above the powder room from both of them.DSC01975.JPGDSC01977.JPGDSC01986.JPGDSC01987.JPG
After comparing both solutions, I identified a clear favourite for myself. What do You think about it?
Greetings
PeterM

Definitely maple. The grain is much smaller, and the yellow color blends in better with the surrounding model since it doesn't have the weathered, worn appearance of the boxwood. The rest of the model has a new-made, abstract appearance. The boxwood deck would suit a model that is aimed at a weathered realistic appearance that would include black stains, graying aged wood, and more texture in the wood.

Definitely, the boxwood for my taste (I assume it is the first image when installed), a uniform, and absolutely no grain shown...and treenails are a perfect match. It is really in harmony with cherry frames.

Hallo everybody. Thanks for Your opinions. Yes, boxwood is the yellow one (after beeing covered with varnish) and the weathered white/gray sample is maple. So, everybody finds boxwood a better solution and it is also my favourite and the decks will be made from boxwood. Thanks for Your help.
Greetings
PeterM

Hallo everybody. I prepeared a template for the main lower deck. It is easier for me to construct the deck outside the ship and install it inside afterwards. You have a better access to the surface in order to sand and polish it. It is also easier to nail the planks to the deck. I use toothpicks for the nails, the holes are 0,6mm in diameter.DSC01991.JPGDSC01992.JPGDSC01997.JPGDSC01998.JPGDSC01999.JPG
I think that it was a good decision to choose boxwood for the deck planks.
Greetings
PeterM

Back