HMS Alert SOS Edition by PaulV [COMPLETED BUILD]

Drop a PM to Trident about any parts you have errored on and he has offer to send replacements ASAP, not sure of cost. May be easier they trying to make your self.
I doubt that would happen. Back in August I wrote to Trident because the boards for the keel parts were greatly mismatched in color. Trident admitted it was a mistake and said he was sending replacement boards. I’m still waiting for those boards to arrive, not it that it makes any difference now. I followed up several times and was told that “the logistics person forgot to send them”, then they could not be sent until after the Chinese October festival, and finally the “logistics“ person would get back to me when I asked if the parts were ever shipped. That was a month ago. I finally went ahead with the original parts since it was clear the replacement parts were never coming. Blame it on the “logistics” guy.

Hey, I am a retired Loggie, and I resemble that remark about forgetting to ship items. Not often but it does happen every now and then.

Like sending an email and forgetting to attach file!

But I would hope maybe they will follow up and ship to you with all the holidays being in past that delayed shipment.

OMG 20 min long! Hope you dont fall asleep.
paul, I’m about to start with the cabin and I am totally confused. The structures that you start the video with: where are the plans for that? I’ve looked at the downloaded instructions for the cabin and I don’t see those at all. If they are there I can’t make heads or tails of them. And is there supposed to be a sheet of photo-etched parts? If so, I don’t have one.

HI Sub
To answer your questions:
If you download the pdf :https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/attachments/cabin-build-pdf.194813/
I have included all the parts that Trident provided in one document.
The lower section of the cabins is on page 1 with the blown out parts on page 2
The partsref is on the last two pages.
The PE is in the bag with the SOS plaque. one is the barrels the other is the one in the pdf.

Hope that helps.

The interior is done, and i get to drain another 9 minutes of your time!

Apart from cleaning up parts, the interior is now complete. It was a fun experience. It can be modified. It's not necessary and is an addon for SOS only. My version is a guide only based on the plans from Trident out of the box. Where you want to personally want to take it is up to you. It does require you to step back and think about it first, but thats the fun of kit building.

HI Sub
To answer your questions:
If you download the pdf :https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/attachments/cabin-build-pdf.194813/
I have included all the parts that Trident provided in one document.
The lower section of the cabins is on page 1 with the blown out parts on page 2
The partsref is on the last two pages.
The PE is in the bag with the SOS plaque. one is the barrels the other is the one in the pdf.

Hope that helps.
OK, I think I get it, or at least I can begin to figure it out. Duh!!!
Now if I just had smaller fingers for the photo-etch parts. If it’s too much of a hassle I may just paint door hinges or use paper strips For the tiniest ones. Will have to see .
Thanks.

The interior is done, and i get to drain another 9 minutes of your time!
Hello Paul. You are not consuming our time at all!!! We cannot thank you enough for the effort in making those video clips. They are of great help to understand the subject visually. Tanks again! Thumbsup

OK, I think I get it, or at least I can begin to figure it out. Duh!!!
Now if I just had smaller fingers for the photo-etch parts. If it’s too much of a hassle I may just paint door hinges or use paper strips For the tiniest ones. Will have to see .
Thanks.
Fingers? Tweezers, fingers would be nearly impossible. :)

The support at the stern, remove parts cl16 & break off the front of cl15, then it just lifts straight out. The onlything holding it in place on the base is this section.

berth.jpg

Do not do it till you finish the HULL! I cannot guarantee the rib strength pre interior completion.

It is really a clever idea from Trident to remove the model with one part of the jig from the base part of the jig.
Now the planking works can be easily done, but the hull is still secured Thumbsup Thumbsup

The support at the stern, remove parts cl16 & break off the front of cl15, then it just lifts straight out. The onlything holding it in place on the base is this section.

View attachment 196904

Do not do it till you finish the HULL! I cannot guarantee the rib strength pre interior completion.
I watch your videos with great interest. Together with your explanations one can follow the assembly very well - thank you very much!
A little question: Does part CL16 or part CL17 have to be removed? In the text it says CL16, in the graphics it seems to be CL17.

I removed both the cl16 parts as they are no longer needed ( same as side rib holders.). and the top exterior side that 16 sit on You cannot apply cutting template with them on and they hold in the side of the stern. The front aread of CL15 locks the ship in place, the rear of 15 is used to support the stern cut template in place. Cutting the front of 15,16 17 and top external sides allows hull to be lifted out( with the top still in palce ), sanded / fared and put back with ease.

Thank you for explaning the procedure. Once I get the Alert-kit, I will do so (my place on the Trident-list is 135 or so....).

Back