HMS Alert SOS Edition by PaulV [COMPLETED BUILD]

It is very difficult to use CNC to cut 2 mm thick wood, which is also the limit of large area processing. We will choose narrower boards for processing in the future. I can't see your video, I can't understand your current situation. Can you send me some photos.

Hi all, slow over xmas & new year. Plus its summer here.

Finishing off the railings & cannon ports. I will video update shortly. NO major issues, same process as last video only less filing out & cutting. Cannon port curve parts 102-92 are not all on sheet 11 & 12. There is also what appears to be a spare set of 20 on a small separate sheet.

One thing I do suggest is with the cutout template ( cut 3-4 mm above mark line as you need the leway when you add the rails. If you cut on the line, there is a chance that some ribs will be to short after fitting the lower rail & upper rail. ( its not exact and will depend on your railing height). With the excess its easy to file down to even height. It can be fixed with replacement stubs ( keep the rib off cuts for this), but not desireable.( You can't see, but will know)

Heads up!

A dilemma

More to come but very quick update. Having finished the upper ralings & stern supports, the next section is the addition of the upper external planking. This consists of planking parts ( easy) & some stern supports ( not so easy).

A: Remember how there appeared to be lots of parts BL37. If you read the doco You will need two of them here glued to the original one you put in. ( Yep if you've shaped and smoothed the hull, your going to re shape new parts 37 on top of the old parts 37!) This will all make sence when you get to it ( Marten I believe is at this point from a different timeline!)
or

B: BUT there is also part GL14 on sheet 28 which looks more the candidate, instead of BL 37 I will let you know!.

Also there is NO part BL44 as shown, its GL16 that is the part! ( That was nightmare to hunt out!) ( see page 38 diagrams)

All the planking is pre shaped to fit these so lay them out together first before fitting. There is a sanding template for parts GL16, but I suggest a fit and see approach then shap as needed. Mine fitted without upper sanding by sheer luck( give I altered the stern ( Accidentally, but I like it))

Also at this point the manual become very sketchy on the external fittings ( ie deadeye & chain plates etc) so use the AOTS book.

Have fun!)

Last edited:
And here we are with another little installment.
What is really nice model is coming out, great job, Paul! I am just looking back first of your videos... WOW, so much done! I cannot wait to see mine at this stage... ;) With the rate, I am working it could be in summer or??

Heads up!

A dilemma

More to come but very quick update. Having finished the upper ralings & stern supports, the next section is the addition of the upper external planking. This consists of planking parts ( easy) & some stern supports ( not so easy).

A: Remember how there appeared to be lots of parts BL37. If you read the doco You will need two of them here glued to the original one you put in. ( Yep if you've shaped and smoothed the hull, your going to re shape new parts 37 on top of the old parts 37!) This will all make sence when you get to it ( Marten I believe is at this point from a different timeline!)
or

B: BUT there is also part GL14 on sheet 28 which looks more the candidate, instead of BL 37 I will let you know!.

Also there is NO part BL44 as shown, its GL16 that is the part! ( That was nightmare to hunt out!) ( see page 38 diagrams)

All the planking is pre shaped to fit these so lay them out together first before fitting. There is a sanding template for parts GL16, but I suggest a fit and see approach then shap as needed. Mine fitted without upper sanding by sheer luck( give I altered the stern ( Accidentally, but I like it))

Also at this point the manual become very sketchy on the external fittings ( ie deadeye & chain plates etc) so use the AOTS book.

Have fun!)
Hi Paul,

Agree with you, GL 14 is coming from the same thickness sheet as the wale. BL 37 is far too thick.
20210114_202421.jpg
20210114_200348.jpg

I will look up BL 44, think I have seen it.

HI Maarten & all

You just beat me in the verification.

I have just completed the external upper planking. With GL14 & GL16, it all fits perfectly from stern to bow. There is no sanding other than cleaning up the laser char and shaping the end of GL16 to lay flat with GL14. Fitting the 4 rows of planking was a dream and a real pleasure. They easily clamp to the ribs with spring clamps and no temp nailing or pinning is req.

No plank soaking was needed either and the bends are gentle and if done clamp by clamp they bend nicely to the hull.

The only note I will make is to ensure you check the ends were the parts join as they vary in width ( especially parts 11-13) and only match on one end.

Adding just these 4 planking layers fills out the exterior and gives the hull a real ships feel. Video to follow shortly

Last edited:
Okay all he side planking has been completed as had the Rudder assembly.

The rudder was very straight forward and apart from a little cleaning it all fitted together perfectly including the metal hinges. Great Job by Trident on this. I have left it off the ship to prevent damage prior to final completion as it easily comes on and off.

I have a question as to the parts used as steps as marked in the manual ( part GL23 on page 39 , which is incorrect). I am yet to identify it.

I have moved onto the complex multi build Bits & windlass assembly. I am hoping by completing all the other parts , the parts will become obvious as they are left over or someone will catch up.....

Videos soon.

Tks Maarten, but at this stage of the build , there is very little in the instructions and the blueprints are only partially helpful.

I am having to rely on the AOTS and guess work for the mast fittings( not mentioned but provided, the anchor davits ( not even show, but provided), the chain wales ( also provided but not documented) or badly numbered . I suspect there was some rush to get the kit out, that the last processes were missed.( reminds me of AL kits!). Some of it like the bits was guess work and revise. We persevere. Still a lot to do!, clean up etc. I'm finding the Chinese way of making & providing parts a little strange to get used ( ie 2 x 2 on a sheet rather than provided as 2 x 2 strips to compared to EU / UK kits,

Still having fun.

So I'm just about finished up all the deck fittings & furniture. There is a a large portion of the kit undocumented as well as undocumented parts.
The only ones I have not be able to identify are below. The white wood is obviously 2 halves, but of what ? The mast/Bowsprit( dowel is provided)

The others I cant workout, unless they are the external steps ( but there are two sets in different wood.) Anyone hazard at a guess? The Cat heads I found so they are not these.
S1220002 copy.jpg

Back