HMS Alert vs. Le Coureur, Shipyard 1/72

The action from 17/06/1778 was the first engagement between english and french ships during the American Wars of Independence.
During the battle HMS Alert takes the french lugger Le Coureur. I like to build a small diorama of the two ships during the battle.

I know that Trident and CAF will bring both ships in my favorite scale and much more detailled, but for a small diorama the models are to big.
So I decided to build the diorama with the paper models Shipyard offered. They have some small mistakes, especially Le Coureur needs some modifictaions, but a dioramaI think that the impression of the small story is much more relevant than ervery small detail of the ship.
I tried two times to build a model from paper without success, so I hope that the third try will much more successfully.

Yesterday I started my project with building the small cutter Alert.
First step was glueing the bulkheads together and painting the edges black.

alert-001.jpg

alert-002.jpg

Before I continue withe paper, I decided to fill the space between the frames with basswood to get a smooth hull.

alert-003.jpg

This step will need some days, so you have to be alittle bit patient until I can continue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo Christian,
many thanks for starting this building log with the two interesting models.
This is a really interesting project you follow here - a diorama of both vessels - great idea and I will follow with big interest.

For everybody also interested in the historical background, take a look here:

Unbenannt.JPG

and also the description in wikipedia, which is describing the complete action inclusive the french Belle Poule and HMS Arethusa etc.

Combat_de_la_Belle_Poule_et_de_l'Aréthusa.jpg Combat_de_la_Belle_Poule_et_de_l'Aréthusa1.jpg

Great thung to see you working on this diorama, Christian! So you are going to build LE COUREUR before the RN-refit? That isvan interesting project - in particular as Ancre's planset shows her after the refit but with help of the NMM's plans and the kit it is possible to come close to the appearence you would expect unter the pure blance. I still have the old shipyard kit in 1/72 on the kits pile... hill.

Highly interestested to see your building progresses and get the great historical knowledge you do share so often.

In the moment I have no progress. I am in the moment at home in Germany where I have the possibility to work on my main project.
After ending of the Corona crisis I hope I am back in the Netherlands and working on the diorama.

The action from 17/06/1778 was the first engagement between english and french ships during the American Wars of Independence.
During the battle HMS Alert takes the french lugger Le Coureur. I like to build a small diorama of the two ships during the battle.

I know that Trident and CAF will bring both ships in my favorite scale and much more detailled, but for a small diorama the models are to big.
So I decided to build the diorama with the paper models Shipyard offered. They have some small mistakes, especially Le Coureur needs some modifictaions, but a dioramaI think that the impression of the small story is much more relevant than ervery small detail of the ship.
I tried two times to build a model from paper without success, so I hope that the third try will much more successfully.

Yesterday I started my project with building the small cutter Alert.
First step was glueing the bulkheads together and painting the edges black.

View attachment 139606

View attachment 139607

Before I continue withe paper, I decided to fill the space between the frames with basswood to get a smooth hull.

View attachment 139608

This step will need some days, so you have to be alittle bit patient until I can continue.
Hallo Christian,
ich wünsche dire ALLES ALLES Gute zu deinem Geburtstag.
Bleib Gesund
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day
Birthday-Cake

Very cool project with paper Shipyard kits. I’ll be following this!

Many thanks for the congratulations on my birthday.
I hope, that you have a lot of patience. Due to Corona reasons I have to move. So it will need another few month until I will continue this log.

Just ordered HMS Alert from Ages of s
Sale, the laser cut 1/72 scale, using the 1/72 because the eyes and fingers aren't as good as in younger days.. This will be the first card stock paper model I have done...never even new this part of the hobby existed. Will be following your builds to see what I can learn. Thanks for posting your build!

Just ordered HMS Alert from Ages of s
Sale, the laser cut 1/72 scale, using the 1/72 because the eyes and fingers aren't as good as in younger days.. This will be the first card stock paper model I have done...never even new this part of the hobby existed. Will be following your builds to see what I can learn. Thanks for posting your build!
Good news, Don! We are hoping to see a build log of yours Alert! ;)

You have that right! No cellar with poor lighting and a wooden stool to sit on! And chilly too.
A good cutting mat, a nice comfortable chair in the dining room, good lighting, maybe even a little help from the better and smarter half! And warm!
Now the interminable waiting for it to arrive.
Even the coffee will stay warmer!

It's not as larges as the Constitution in size but the scale is better than the 1/96 Connie., being about 21 Inches long, 8 3/4 inches wide and 18 inches high. About the same size as Ambosium's diorama ships. They seem like a good fireplace mantle model.

Hallo Christian,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back