HMS- As yet unamed, maybe The Wraith, or Harbinger not sure yet.

Revell 1:72 Pirate ship.
I started by building a diy jig, from an old box, saw one online for £40, I wasn't paying that, so I made my own.
The bottom deck, I painted deck tan, there was no real need to, as it will be mostly hidden, but..painted it anyway.
The cannons were done in flat brown, not ideal, but at the time it was all i had really, and they will be mostly hidden anyway,the cannon barrels were done in dark metal.
The hull, glued, fitted together well, no gaps or holes. May paint the hull before it gets too complicated to easily paint it.
The deck grills were done in dark metal, the ladders i did black,... may change them to dark metal, not sure yet.
I wasn't happy with a swan figurehead, so i pinched an idea of changing the figurehead. I chose a myrmourn banshee from warhammer set, when painted, shold look better than a swan!
Not too happy with the rigging threads supplied, looking at replacing threads for rigging, seen some from Amati, so may order those soon.
Todays plan is paint the other sections of decking, maybe start painting the figurehead. The ladders and grills need touching up, (don't we all!)
Looking at replacing the plastic sails with linen sails, thinking maybe soak them in starch or glue and mould them to the correct shapes, not sure yet, still trying to figure that one out.
So... that's where we are up to, waiting for delivery of paints ect, kind of stuck till they turn up.
Thank's for looking, will update tomorrow.

s1.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
Painted the top deck grills in gun metal, tried to get a rust effect, I think it looks ok, just gave the lower decks a layer of deck tan with a dark wash. Not really necessary as they are hidden somewhat, but...hey ho.
Had a go at painting the figurehead in a light grey, but the paint wasn't taking to well, so will go over it again tomorrow.
Thank's for looking.

thumbnail2.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Looks nice so far Spaced. Do you have a picture of the box or finished model?
painting is a whole area of special skills, and plastic is very challengin.
I will watch your progress.

Thank's Chestcutter, It's been a long time since I made a model, doing my best. Trying to take my time, want to get it just right. At the moment, I have limited colours and tools, started from scratch, so it's costing a small fortune lol.
I originally wanted the Black Pearl 1:72, costing around £80, about 140 austrailian dollars?, I then came across this replica from Jumblies models.com, paid £60. I figured I could paint it as a black pearl....It sounded a good idea at the time lol.
You are so right about the paining, Finding the painting very challenging so far, some of the details are so small, using the smallest brush i have under a magnifying lens, not easy. I was trying to paint parts in a flat black, but it just wasn't looking right, so i would strip it and try again with different shades, think i repainted each piece 2 or 3 times lol.
I am now leaning towards painting in shades of grey, the black just seems too blocky, it hides the small details if you know what I mean. I think it will end up grey, black and gold. (that's the plan)
She who must be obeyed, (the wife) says i'm being too fussy... maybe...I just figure, if you're gonna do it, do it properly. Maybe its my ptsd problems, I just wanted to do a good job of it.
I'm loving all the research and planning, it's giving me a purpose, something to concentrate and focus on.
Thankyou for taking an interest.

IMG20230128111116.jpg

2.jpg

Hmmmm....This kit has A LOT of potential:)))) And your totally right about the swan:))

As soon as i saw the swan figurehead, I thought...no.. it needs something better. I wanted some sort of ghost/wraith/ghoul type figurehead in the correct scale. Saw another ship builder and he mentioned the warhammer gaming pieces, and how they were the same scale. I saw the figure below, doctor it a bit, it should work. I started to paint it grey shades, but the paint wasn't sticking to well. Last night, I decided to change the colour to gold, so we'll see how that pans out. An all black/grey ship with gold detailing. That's the current plan.

dcwbdv7-270e77e6-6376-4793-b4ed-6689a1c50349.jpg

May I suggest a dark, uneven two color brown with bronze instead of gold? it will give it a more ''seasoned'' look......As for the figurehead, a bit of the same with bronze and only a bit of highlight with gold so it doesn't stand out as a mutt in front of the dark ship....

Advice taken onboard, will give it a go. I saw a similar ship on youtube, see below, credit to Theodoros Tzitzimbourounis for the pics. That's the kind of the look i was looking at. Just thought the gold stood out well. I was gong to do a dark wash over the gold to dull it a bit.
I'm all up for suggestions and advice.
Thank's for your interest.

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 15-31-47 Revell Pirate Ship.png

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 15-30-55 Revell Pirate Ship.png

I also model cars which are plastic and some plastics don't take paint well. I have discovered that a primer will overcome that and allow the paint to adhere well. I find Tamyia primer works really well. Its available in white, grey and black.

I think you can go with a black primer and swipe dark brown with a paint brush so that the black will show through; and you can adjust to the desired hue....As for the gold.....I think you will achieve better results with the bronze.....

Hi WDO, your quite right, I just didn't have the funds at the time to get primer, hoped i could get away with it for a while. Gonna have to wait till next week before i can get some.
Thank's for your input, appreciated.

I think you can go with a black primer and swipe dark brown with a paint brush so that the black will show through; and you can adjust to the desired hue....As for the gold.....I think you will achieve better results with the bronze.....
Thank's, will give that a go, as soon as i can.

Hi WDO, your quite right, I just didn't have the funds at the time to get primer, hoped i could get away with it for a while. Gonna have to wait till next week before i can get some.
Thank's for your input, appreciated.
If you have flat black paint, that can also do the same type of surface; it's almost the same as primer paint....

Just tried Tamiya gold leaf acrylic with a dark wash. Doesn't look too bad....Thoughts?... will try bronze when i can get some.

1.jpg

2.jpg

It loks good.... but it is still light; bronze will give it a darker hue which will fit better with the dark overall aspect of the ship; some highlights in gold can be added on the edges to simutlate reflections...

Wife says I'm taking this Pirate ship thing a bit too seriously... So I have relented and taken off my bandana and eye patch....Women..huh!

Thank's Chestcutter, It's been a long time since I made a model, doing my best. Trying to take my time, want to get it just right. At the moment, I have limited colours and tools, started from scratch, so it's costing a small fortune lol.
I originally wanted the Black Pearl 1:72, costing around £80, about 140 austrailian dollars?, I then came across this replica from Jumblies models.com, paid £60. I figured I could paint it as a black pearl....It sounded a good idea at the time lol.
You are so right about the paining, Finding the painting very challenging so far, some of the details are so small, using the smallest brush i have under a magnifying lens, not easy. I was trying to paint parts in a flat black, but it just wasn't looking right, so i would strip it and try again with different shades, think i repainted each piece 2 or 3 times lol.
I am now leaning towards painting in shades of grey, the black just seems too blocky, it hides the small details if you know what I mean. I think it will end up grey, black and gold. (that's the plan)
She who must be obeyed, (the wife) says i'm being too fussy... maybe...I just figure, if you're gonna do it, do it properly. Maybe its my ptsd problems, I just wanted to do a good job of it.
I'm loving all the research and planning, it's giving me a purpose, something to concentrate and focus on.
Thankyou for taking an interest.

View attachment 353935

View attachment 353936
Your rusted grates look cool. I was wondering, though, aren't most grates made of wood?

Back