HMS Blandford POF by Keith [COMPLETED BUILD]

The next stage is the essembly of the ribs. There are 63 which make up the hull and each rib consists of 15 segments. Each individual rib has it's own 1:1 scale drawing to work against and extreme care is needed when positioning and gluing the segments as the slightest deviation from the drawing will get magnified as you progress. The drawing is marked A and B. A indicates the segments that face the bow direction and B are facing the stern. I started from the middle at no. 31, as these appear to be the easiest because A and B sit directly on top of each other as they run at 90 degrees to the keel. As you progress towards the bow and the stern, the two get progressively more offset which, when sanded will give a 'twist' to the ribs to follow the curve of the hull. (Does that make sense?) The vast majority of the parts for this kit are laser cut from sheets of differing thicknesses. The ribs are 5mm, 4mm and 3mm, so there is an awful lot of cleaning to do, to clear the laser char from the edges of each piece. I have only done a rough sanding of the ribs so far. 2 down, 61 to go! At the moment the ribs are only placed in the jig and are not yet cemented. See you next time.

DSC04546.JPG

DSC04543.JPG

DSC04548.JPG

DSC04551.JPG

DSC04571.JPG

DSC04564.JPG

DSC04573.JPG

DSC04574.JPG

DSC04575.JPG

Hi All. I have been making wooden plank on bulkhead ship kits for some years now and, after seeing some of the POF kits featured on this site, I was immediately smitten and decided a change of direction is called for and so l have entered the world of POF with the 1:48 scale HMS Blandford kit from Modelship Dockyard. I would like to share with you my experiences, good and bad, as l progress along this, for me, totally new path. The kit arrived on 13th April taking 13 days from initial order to delivery to my address in Spain. l enclose a quick overview of the contents, which on first impessions appear to be of excellent quality.

View attachment 305630

View attachment 305631

View attachment 305632

View attachment 305636

View attachment 305637

View attachment 305638
It will be interesting to watch your progression. Great ship model! Magic Mike

a Very good start in the highly interesting world of POF-kits

Just a small hint for making the frames

I can see, that you are not using distancers under the frame parts - if not included try to find some small wooden sheets of 1 or 2mm - exactly the difference of the difference in width - take a look at my Granado frame and it will be clear what I want to say

yours:
DSC04571.JPG

Granado

IMG_0018.jpg IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

I can see, that you are not using distancers under the frame parts - if not included try to find some small wooden sheets of 1 or 2mm - exactly the difference of the difference in width - take a look at my Granado frame and it will be clear what I want to say

yours:
View attachment 306640

Granado

View attachment 306641 View attachment 306642

View attachment 306643
Hi @Uwek,

I may build this kit in the future. Can you explain why the frame should be glued up the way you have described? Why can't it just be done on the flat side as Keef is doing? Thanks for helping me understand this. I'm assuming it has to do with the orientation of the drawing but...

Hi @Uwek,

I may build this kit in the future. Can you explain why the frame should be glued up the way you have described? Why can't it just be done on the flat side as Keef is doing? Thanks for helping me understand this. I'm assuming it has to do with the orientation of the drawing but...
you do not have a flat side - both sides of the frames have these steps

DSC04571.JPG

IMG_0027a.jpg

BTW: The frames of the Granado section were different - here I made glued half of the double frames along the center line of the frame and glued afterwards the two half together

yours:
View attachment 306640

Granado

View attachment 306641 View attachment 306642

View attachment 306643
A very good idea Uwek. Thanks for the tip. I have plenty of spare 1 and 2 mm knocking around, so they will come in handy to
use as spacers

Beautifully clean work Keef. Sorry to ask about the mundane - but how are you cleaning up the char? Sandpaper? Files? Spindle sander? Have you left the char at the joints where pieces connect or cleaned everything prior to glue up? Thanks for indulging my 'beginner-level' questions.

Last edited:
Beautifully clean work Keef. Sorry to ask about the mundane - but how are you cleaning up the char? Sandpaper? Files? Spindle sander? Have you left the char at the joints where pieces connect or cleaned everything prior to glue up? Thanks for indulging my 'beginner-level' questions.
Thank you for your comments. It's no trouble at all I am new to POF modelling myself. This is my first POF kit. I am using a mini Proxon spindle sander (very carefully) to clean the laser char and contour the ribs nearer the bow and stern when I eventually get that far. I give the connecting parts only a very light sanding. I am sanding the entire rib after gluing together all the segments

Thank you for your comments. It's no trouble at all I am new to POF modelling myself. This is my first POF kit. I am using a mini Proxon spindle sander (very carefully) to clean the laser char and contour the ribs nearer the bow and stern when I eventually get that far. I give the connecting parts only a very light sanding. I am sanding the entire rib after gluing together all the segments
Thank you for kindly answering my question. Much appreciated.

Have you left the char at the joints where pieces connect or cleaned everything prior to glue up? Thanks for indulging my 'beginner-level' questions.
Sorry that I jump once more in the talk....
Refering the question by Paul related to the connecting joints between the parts and
I give the connecting parts only a very light sanding
your answer

If you do not have until now, buy a disk-sander
using such a sander you can get vertical surface and completely free of char joints

IMG_0010a.jpg IMG_0011a.jpg

with some light sanding only, on both connected front ends of the parts are maybe still some rest of char and in this way the butt joints between the parts will be stronger visible

DSC04585.JPG

and similar frames with prepared joints like described above

IMG_0186a.jpg

Off course it is a question of taste, if such joints are more accent or less - just a hint

OK. Thanks. When I started, I wanted to see a slight join between the sections of the ribs so only did light sanding where the faces join but now I have seen the joins, they are a bit too noticeable so will sand more in future

A few more ribs finished and gradually moving forward. Now after being put right, I am cleaning all the laser char from the joint areas of each segment although too late for the few that l made earlier, which l'm afraid will stand out from all future ribs but hopefully not too much after the deck timbers are in place. A painful lesson learned. l will not keep going over the making of the ribs as they are all more or less the same at this stage, so for now will post as and when more ribs are added

DSC04591.JPG

DSC04594.JPG

DSC04595.JPG

DSC04597.JPG

DSC04598.JPG

DSC04600.JPG

DSC04604.JPG

DSC04610.JPG

DSC04611.JPG

DSC04612.JPG

DSC04613.JPG

DSC04617.JPG