HMS Druid P.O.F. - Unicorn Models by Donnie [COMPLETED BUILD]

She is free now! You are mostly quiet...and then BooM!! Your planking laid accuartely and precise.

I now have all the 'base' railings in place. There is another 'level' of railings plus the stanctions that will be installed.

However, at this point, I must make a decision. To paint or not to paint. I have some lin seed oil that I am going to use on the hull. But, the part that I am completely undecided about are the RAILS and also there are some 1 x 2mm walnut strips that are decorative strips that go length wise on the hull right above and below the cannon ports. I would paint them black.

But I am open for anyone that has more suggestions. I wanted to leave the model natural, but as I go along, it seems that this is just not going to be a good choice. I could cover the entire model with lin seed oil, but some test that I did on some pieces just does not look right.

Any suggestions?

rails-03.jpg

I now have all the 'base' railings in place. There is another 'level' of railings plus the stanctions that will be installed.

However, at this point, I must make a decision. To paint or not to paint. I have some lin seed oil that I am going to use on the hull. But, the part that I am completely undecided about are the RAILS and also there are some 1 x 2mm walnut strips that are decorative strips that go length wise on the hull right above and below the cannon ports. I would paint them black.

But I am open for anyone that has more suggestions. I wanted to leave the model natural, but as I go along, it seems that this is just not going to be a good choice. I could cover the entire model with lin seed oil, but some test that I did on some pieces just does not look right.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 258129
I like black railings, and think that would look good. Of course I like to paint the keel black as well, to frame the natural unpainted wood. I would recommend deciding on a theme and following that. It could be as simple as black railings and black accents. Or black and gold, white and gold, etc. It’s your ship, so ultimately you have to be happy with your decision. ;)

Hi Donald!

A blank wood model is the highest art of shipbuilding (whether made of one or more types of wood and colors). You can see all the joints and connections. An oil or clear varnish is used to protect the wood. This sounds easier than it is. Under the oil or varnish you suddenly see glue residues or the varnish has the wrong gloss or is too thick.

A colored model has of course its charm and reflects the finished appearance of the ship.

Unfortunately, the choice of the final representation is up to the builder and his personal feeling. There is no right or wrong here.

Best regards
Thomas

Hi Donald!

A blank wood model is the highest art of shipbuilding (whether made of one or more types of wood and colors). You can see all the joints and connections. An oil or clear varnish is used to protect the wood. This sounds easier than it is. Under the oil or varnish you suddenly see glue residues or the varnish has the wrong gloss or is too thick.

A colored model has of course its charm and reflects the finished appearance of the ship.

Unfortunately, the choice of the final representation is up to the builder and his personal feeling. There is no right or wrong here.

Best regards
Thomas

I agree with Thomas. It is what you like for your model.

I am sure you have seen the below pictures when ordering your model. They provide an idea of 2 different finishings. Pictures copied from ZHL MODEL website.

Screenshot_20210926-074406_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210926-074301_Chrome.jpg

Best
Daniel

Thank you all for your input -
As Daniel pointed out, I decided to use the image (as he has shown from ZHL) to complete the model. I am going to use Black for trim and Lin Seed oil for the hull planking and deck.

I ALSO do think that the all natural Admiralty Style SHOULD show the "joinery" and use a less paint as possible or since there are so many TONES of wood, to "paint with wood". In my argument about this ship is that this "kit" is not a true Admiralty style - yes, even though it is a POF model, it is missing all of the knees and carlings, ledges of a true Admiralty. This kit only represents the basics. All the decks are missing furnishings, pumps and the list goes on.

A true Admiralty probably made from plans OR the latest kits that are coming out might qualify for a true POF model, but this one, I am afraid just can't qualify for that label.

So, why the paint decision? Well, it is clear that all the joints on this model are not like scarf joints, but just parts that mostly have butt joints and other simple methods. Unless you have a lot of scrap walnut or Pear laying around to make your own admiralty style joints, the builder is confined.

The paint will 'unfortunately' hide all the 'fake' joints. As I always say, "it is what it is" and I have to work with what I have. I think fukui is building a much better Druid if I remember and can be found here:

I now have the stern trim on. The plan calls for two pieces of 1x4 to be laminated, but I had some walnut sitting around and was able to make it a 2x4 - a little work went into bending it with the hot iron, but I think I did ok.

I cut a groove into the mating part as I wanted the upper edge of that stern piece to fit INTO the trim. This way it glues nicely and does not move around while trying to mount it.

trim01.jpg

trim02.jpg

trim03.jpg

trim04.jpg

trim05.jpg

trim06.jpg

trim07.jpg

Hi Donnie wonderfull work sofar.
Instead of using black paint you can also use black ink. The difference between paint and ink is that the ink penetrates into the wood ad leaves the wood grain visible. If you then finish it with oil afterwards the whole hull gets the same luster.

Hi Donnie wonderfull work sofar.
Instead of using black paint you can also use black ink. The difference between paint and ink is that the ink penetrates into the wood ad leaves the wood grain visible. If you then finish it with oil afterwards the whole hull gets the same luster.
I can fully confirm the words by Maarten.
Based on his tip working on his model I tried it and also water colours on my Coureur and I am very happy with the result - I am using the ecoline stuff
ecoline.jpg

Bonjour
Je commence le montage du Druide et je vous remercie pour votre cahier de montage exceptionnel, je suis toutes vos instructions à la lettre.
cordialement, gerard

google translation:
Hello
I begin the assembly of the Druid and I thank you for your exceptional assembly book, I follow all your instructions to the letter.
best regards, gerard

Last edited by a moderator:
Back