HMS Enterprise - 1:96 - 96进取套材的制作

Hi Wuxiaomeng
What is the red rectangle area that you show? It cannot be for the gun ports as the guns would have to be in the bread bins on the lower deck and the barrels would have to be five or six feet above the deck. Picture below shows the stern guns if they were on the upper deck or lower deck. I would go with contemporary information first as John Williams signed the drawings. Then again no one is infallible so maybe the original draftsman and/or designer of the ship made a mistake. The only evidence I can find so far that she had stern ports is from the 1777 Marshall painting which does not match the design drawings. Assuming she had stern ports these were typically not with guns. The aft most guns on that deck would be maneuvered to these ports. She carried twenty-four 9 pounder guns on the gun deck as can be seen in the notes on the drawing below and the number of gun ports on the side of the ship match that with 12 per side.
Allan
View attachment 457756
View attachment 457757
Hallo Allan,
I guess there were no guns on the lower deck on the Enterprize 1774 - I count 12 gunports on each side on the "upper deck"

Inboard profile Ent class.jpg

also according given informations f.e. threedecks (based on Rif Winfield)

Screenshot 2024-07-08 124715.png

Last edited:
I can not find fast a contemporary drawing showing these two ports at the stern only the painting

Screenshot 2024-07-08 125716.png

so close above the waterline I am pretty sure, that the lids were more or less permanantly closed to keep the water out
So, if there were these ports, than it can be only for ventilation of the closed lower deck, open only when laying in harbour on calm sea

Hi Karl,
I saw the Joseph Marshall paintings as well and it really caused confusion in my head. I personally would rely on the plans in post 60 above, . The series of paintings by Marshall are exceptional, but at least in this case, does not match the plans. Builder's choice :)

Allan

2024年9月12日
好久没更新了,并不是停工,因为小横梁重复的工作量太大,1*1mm的小横梁全部开槽安装,真的是快不起来,8月中旬全部炮甲板小横梁完成,开始做甲板压条,做内船壳,根据內船壳弧度调整炮窗高度
发现套材中编号W5的内船壳高度超出船舷3~4mm,是垫高船舷还是磨低船壳,这个要跟设计师确认一下,自己感觉应该是垫高船舷,后期也好修改

September 12, 2024
It’s been a while since I’ve updated. It’s not a work stoppage, because the repetitive workload of the small beams is too big. All the 1*1mm small beams are slotted and installed. It really can’t be done quickly. In mid-August, all the small beams of the gun deck will be completed, and the deck construction will begin. Layering strips are used to make the inner hull, and the height of the gun window is adjusted according to the curvature of the inner hull.
I found that the height of the inner hull numbered W5 in the kit exceeds the ship side by 3~4mm. Should I raise the ship side or lower the hull? I need to confirm this with the designer. I feel that it should be to raise the ship side. It can be modified later.

甲板压条240907.jpg

內船壳240907.jpg

內船壳240908-1.jpg

內船壳240908-2.jpg

內船壳240910-1.jpg

內船壳240910-2.jpg

炮窗调整240908.jpg

炮窗调整240909.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good work - clean and accurate - very good
especially having the scale of 1:96 in mind

I love how you went into the detail of making the spirketting thicker than the quick stuff above it. Very nicely done!
Allan

2024年9月12日
好久没更新了,并不是停工,因为小横梁重复的工作量太大,1*1mm的小横梁全部开槽安装,真的是快不起来,8月中旬全部炮甲板小横梁完成,开始做甲板压条,做内船壳,根据內船壳弧度调整炮窗高度
发现套材中编号W5的内船壳高度超出船舷3~4mm,是垫高船舷还是磨低船壳,这个要跟设计师确认一下,自己感觉应该是垫高船舷,后期也好修改

September 12, 2024
It’s been a while since I’ve updated. It’s not a work stoppage, because the repetitive workload of the small beams is too big. All the 1*1mm small beams are slotted and installed. It really can’t be done quickly. In mid-August, all the small beams of the gun deck will be completed, and the deck construction will begin. Layering strips are used to make the inner hull, and the height of the gun window is adjusted according to the curvature of the inner hull.
I found that the height of the inner hull numbered W5 in the kit exceeds the ship side by 3~4mm. Should I raise the ship side or lower the hull? I need to confirm this with the designer. I feel that it should be to raise the ship side. It can be modified later.

View attachment 470651

View attachment 470652

View attachment 470653

View attachment 470654

View attachment 470655

View attachment 470656

View attachment 470657

View attachment 470658
There is a lotb to be learned by close study of these images, especially by a guy like me.

Back