HMS Euryalus 1803 - Scale 1:48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

.....In addition, the gratings were changed (the direction of the long bars was wrong).
Very good work on the knees and the companion.
I have a question related to the gratings.
From static point of view, I would think, that the long bars should be along the longest span, so it seems, that they should be every time along from aft to fore.
Is it somewhere defined or described how (directions) the gratings should be made?

Very good work on the knees and the companion.
I have a question related to the gratings.
From static point of view, I would think, that the long bars should be along the longest span, so it seems, that they should be every time along from aft to fore.
Is it somewhere defined or described how (directions) the gratings should be made?

I followed the book. I cannot say why this is so

Good evening Alessandro, in my opinion it is a mistake to consider these reproductions of these boats today, I prefer a search more
Frank48, I pointed out that these are replicas. It's just that the grids on them are made in the right way. The very first picture (black and white) is from the book. Here is a copy of Victory's drawing deck from Longridge's Anatomy. John McKay's anatomy has exactly the same grids. And all the top rails ALONG the deck, not across

1654668879329.png

Frank48, I pointed out that these are replicas. It's just that the grids on them are made in the right way. The very first picture (black and white) is from the book. Here is a copy of Victory's drawing deck from Longridge's Anatomy. John McKay's anatomy has exactly the same grids. And all the top rails ALONG the deck, not across

View attachment 312745
Alessandro I understood your post well, today there is a lot of imagination on these reproductions, greetings

Here is a quote from John Franklin's book: Admiralty Ship Models 1650 - 1750.
It describes the gratings that were made on Admiralty models at the indicated times.
The book describes the Admiralty models from museums built in those days.
Here is an extract from the book specifically about lattices:
Slotted holes in deck grilles continued to be found on models until the late thirties of the eighteenth century, but from the beginning of the said century, from about 1720, composite deck grilles are more and more often seen on models of higher quality workmanship. This method differs from the method common. These "true" deck railings are usually very intricately crafted from thin longitudinal battens recessed into thicker transverse ledges.ly used
today's modellers, which consists in connecting de-tals
half recessed into each other, which not only does not correspond to historical reality, but is also more laborious.

Here is a quote from John Franklin's book: Admiralty Ship Models 1650 - 1750.
It describes the gratings that were made on Admiralty models at the indicated times.
The book describes the Admiralty models from museums built in those days.
Here is an extract from the book specifically about lattices:
Slotted holes in deck grilles continued to be found on models until the late thirties of the eighteenth century, but from the beginning of the said century, from about 1720, composite deck grilles are more and more often seen on models of higher quality workmanship. This method differs from the method common. These "true" deck railings are usually very intricately crafted from thin longitudinal battens recessed into thicker transverse ledges.ly used
today's modellers, which consists in connecting de-tals
half recessed into each other, which not only does not correspond to historical reality, but is also more laborious.
Many Thanks Alessandro

Hello Everyone,

the Ship's Weel
Material is boxwood.

View attachment 312890

View attachment 312892

View attachment 312893

View attachment 312894

Here I took the Proxxon Professional drill/grinder and clamped it in a holder for the lathe

View attachment 312896

View attachment 312897

View attachment 312895

View attachment 312898

View attachment 312899

View attachment 312900

View attachment 312901

The work is done and the result is successful for me

View attachment 312902

To be Continued

Greetings
Rüdiger
Dear Lucius
the result/Ship's Weel looks amazing and beautiful because the boxwood and because your Professional work Exclamation-MarkOkayFirst Place Metal

Lucius, Your innovative approach to creating the double wheel in one multistep task, ensuring the end result is both complicated and simple at the same time....to me only of course. This is the way I see it. Super that you ensure the alignment of the wheel's posts/handles through the outer wheel and inner hub by drilling through both while they are still part of the same unified structure. Then, most impressive, I never would have thought of this, but then by inserting the same post/handles through both the outer wheel and inner hub, you've connected both structures allowing you to then cut off the outer structures maintaining stability among all the pieces, hub, posts, and outer wheel. Ingenious mate!!! Very very impressive.....thank you for sharing your way of thinking.

A great idea and way - and very well documented -
Even myself understood, how you did it - Many Many thanks for sharing this

Like Ken alias @Hoss6262 wrote already :

Ingenious mate!!!

Bravo

Hello Everyone,

the Ship's Weel
Material is boxwood.

View attachment 312890

View attachment 312892

View attachment 312893

View attachment 312894

Here I took the Proxxon Professional drill/grinder and clamped it in a holder for the lathe

View attachment 312896

View attachment 312897

View attachment 312895

View attachment 312898

View attachment 312899

View attachment 312900

View attachment 312901

The work is done and the result is successful for me

View attachment 312902

To be Continued

Greetings
Rüdiger