HMS Fly - Cannon Carriages Fitted to Deck

Prior to starting my HMS Fly build, I was advised of a potential problem of Cannon Carriage’s becoming detached from beneath the poop deck. As a solution I considered three criteria had to be met one, the fixing to the deck had to be invisible. Two, it had to be a 100% positive fix so it will not become detached from the deck. Three, accurate positioning of the carriage's essential.

My solution was to fix each cannon carriage wheel to the deck and a Polyamide beading thread. The attached notes were written in 2016 and illustrate the thread being fitted into the deck using G-S Hypo Cement and a syringe. In retrospect the threads are better glued from beneath the deck with Araldite

As my build of HMS Fly involved incorporating three cabins’, I had to develop techniques for modifying the design of the model kit, so I scratch built a duplicate hull to test the methods would work; this hull is seen in these notes. I have also showed how the cap squares are fitted, as it is my intention the Cannon Barrels will all be pivoting…..this is the plan!12 - Figure Z11.jpg

Attachments

• 13 - Permanent method of fixing carriages to deck.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

ThumbsupThat's a novel approach. With wooden carriages you could glue a block of wood to the bottom of the carriage which would then be glued to the deck, or drive a brass nail through the center of the bottom of the carriage and into the deck below.

ThumbsupThat's a novel approach. With wooden carriages you could glue a block of wood to the bottom of the carriage which would then be glued to the deck, or drive a brass nail through the center of the bottom of the carriage and into the deck below.
Yes, this I thought about but decided on the threads. I am also fitting furniture into the cabins, so this method is ideal for this situation, where the items can be quite delicate.

A rather complicated and time consuming solution to the problem. First the metal gun carriages supplied by Amati do not represent any gun carriage carried by the British navy in the 1800s and should be discarded. The barrels are better, but not much.
Regarding fixing, a simpler method is to fix the truck to the deck with a pin, wire or a small nut and bolt (as provided in model railway construction). You will need to drill a hole in the truck and deck and if using a pin or wire, glue them in place, preferably with a 2 part epoxy resin - not super glue.
If using a nut and bolt, no glue would be necessary. the fixing can be positioned so that it is not visible from a normal viewing position

I agree with you, it is complicated but I have found it gives a very realistic result as nothing can be seen of the fixings from any angle. Regarding the gun carriages I will use them as all the preparatory work has been done for fixing them, and this cannot now be changed. Thank you for pointing this out, as I have learnt something. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this technique is perfect when there is next to nothing to fit to the deck and the items are delicate, as for example the tables and chairs I will be fitting into the cabins.

I use a drop of CA gel on each of the cannon carriage wheels and set it in place on the deck. I have never had a carriage come loose…ever.

I use a drop of CA gel on each of the cannon carriage wheels and set it in place on the deck. I have never had a carriage come loose…ever.
HMS Fly is my first period ship build; my friend explained he did have a carriage come free which was beneath the poop deck, this was my reason for adopting this method. At the time I had not planned putting furniture into the Cabins, and this method proved perfect for this.

CaptainsCabin, I understand the angst of something coming loose. Do what you think will work! Please note that I have had great success with CA gel of which the gel consistency is important. I believe that the gel fills in more gap and appears to adhere much better than CA thin or regular PVA glues. Just my experience…

Hi Jim, What brand of CA gel do you you use? I have used 'LOCTITE SUPER GLUE Power Easy - GEL'; in truth I was not so impressed, hence my asking the brand you use. From my own experiences I use 'EvoStik Resin W' wood glue, which is a PVA glue, then I can correct my mistakes with a little water applied at the correct spot; the part in question can then be rearranged.

Regarding my use of the Polyamide thread, I have found many items can be planned, then exactly pre-positioned before finally fitting in place. This was essential for the cabin furniture. This is my first period ship build so I have much to learn!

Lloyd