HMS Fly 1:64 - Amati/Victory Models by CaptainsCabin

Cabin Furniture​

In my, HMS Fly build I have incorporated the Great Cabin, Stateroom, and Coach Cabin, and into each of these cabins I have constructed 1:64 scale furniture using acetate film, and a combination of Paint Shop Pro graphic design and origami with a plastic film.

A sharp craft knife and good eyesight are essential and lots of patience. I have made 9 pieces of furniture for the three cabins and this has taken me 2 years, and the irony is they will only really be seen by “God”!

Any member considering a cabin diorama, the techniques I have developed would be ideal, and I would be happy to talk about them with this community.

I have attached a photo of the Table which will be eventually fitted into the Great Cabin, and on it can be seen a three-candle stand. These candles are lit and flicker, and this is done with Fibre Optics; they will be seen through the Great Cabin windows.

The chairs are 1:64 scale replicas of a set owned by Lord Nelson, and this is a good example of how using a graphic design package can give a different perspective to modeling. My wife and I went to see the actual chair at the Royal Maritime Museum Greenwich, London, so the dimensions would be correct.

Whilst the items may look difficult to make, they are in fact relatively easy to construct, but has previously said a lot of patience is required. I think most members have this, and some of the models I have seen on this forum are superb!

Please contact me if further information is required; I have made a Sea Chest and Bureau for the Great Cabin, Sea Cot and Wash Basin for the Stateroom, and a Welsh Dresser, Table, and four Chairs for the Coach Cabin.

04 - Figure AG70.jpg03 - Figure AF29.jpg
View attachment 15 - (c)Great Cabin Table Candelabra Video.mp4

Attachments

• 15 - (a)Great Cabin Table.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 16 - (a)Great Cabin Chairs .pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Cannon Carriages Fitted to Deck​

Prior to starting my HMS Fly build, I was advised of a potential problem of Cannon Carriage’s becoming detached from beneath the poop deck. As a solution, I considered three criteria that had to be met one, the fixing to the deck had to be invisible. Two, it had to be a 100% positive fix so it will not become detached from the deck. Three, accurate positioning of the carriage's essential.

My solution was to fix each cannon carriage wheel to the deck and a Polyamide beading thread. The attached notes were written in 2016 and illustrate the thread being fitted into the deck using G-S Hypo Cement and a syringe. In retrospect, the threads are better glued from beneath the deck with Araldite

As my build of HMS Fly involved incorporating three cabins’, I had to develop techniques for modifying the design of the model kit, so I scratch built a duplicate hull to test the methods would work; this hull is seen in these notes. I have also shown how the cap squares are fitted, as it is my intention the Cannon Barrels will all be pivoting…..this is the plan!

12 - Figure Z11.jpg

Attachments

• 13 - Permanent method of fixing carriages to deck.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
ThumbsupThat's a novel approach. With wooden carriages you could glue a block of wood to the bottom of the carriage which would then be glued to the deck, or drive a brass nail through the center of the bottom of the carriage and into the deck below.

ThumbsupThat's a novel approach. With wooden carriages you could glue a block of wood to the bottom of the carriage which would then be glued to the deck, or drive a brass nail through the center of the bottom of the carriage and into the deck below.
Yes, this I thought about but decided on the threads. I am also fitting furniture into the cabins, so this method is ideal for this situation, where the items can be quite delicate.

Welsh Dresser for Coach Cabin​

Adobe PhotoShop CC 2019 has become an integral tool for my HMS Fly build. To give an example of how it has helped me I attach three photographs. Firstly, Welsh Dresser which was on the H.M. Bark Endeavour, secondly, Welsh Dresser circa 1730, and thirdly Welsh Dresser for HMS Fly loosely fitted in the Coach Cabin. I have attached the notes I made whilst building it.

14 - Figure AL1.jpg15 - Figure AL2.jpg16 - Figure AL21.jpg

Attachments

• 17 - Coach Cabin Welsh Dresser.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
A rather complicated and time consuming solution to the problem. First the metal gun carriages supplied by Amati do not represent any gun carriage carried by the British navy in the 1800s and should be discarded. The barrels are better, but not much.
Regarding fixing, a simpler method is to fix the truck to the deck with a pin, wire or a small nut and bolt (as provided in model railway construction). You will need to drill a hole in the truck and deck and if using a pin or wire, glue them in place, preferably with a 2 part epoxy resin - not super glue.
If using a nut and bolt, no glue would be necessary. the fixing can be positioned so that it is not visible from a normal viewing position

I agree with you, it is complicated but I have found it gives a very realistic result as nothing can be seen of the fixings from any angle. Regarding the gun carriages I will use them as all the preparatory work has been done for fixing them, and this cannot now be changed. Thank you for pointing this out, as I have learnt something. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this technique is perfect when there is next to nothing to fit to the deck and the items are delicate, as for example the tables and chairs I will be fitting into the cabins.

In my HMS Fly build I have incorporated the Great Cabin, Stateroom and Coach Cabin, and into each of these cabins I have constructed 1:64 scale furniture using acetate film, and a combination of Paint Shop Pro graphic design and origami with a plastic film.

A sharp craft knife and good eyesight is essential and lots of patience. I have made 9 pieces of furniture for the three cabins and this has taken me 2 years, and the irony is they will only really be seen by “God”!

Any member considering a cabin diorama, the techniques I have developed would be ideal, and I would be happy to talk about them with this community.

I have attached a photo of the Table which will be eventually fitted into the Great Cabin, and on it can be seen a three-candle stand. These candles are lit and flicker, and this is done with Fibre Optics; they will be seen through the Great Cabin windows.

The chairs are 1:64 scale replicas of a set owned by Lord Nelson, and this is a good example of how using a graphic design package can give a different perspective to modelling. My wife and I went to see the actual chair at the Royal Maritime Museum Greenwich, London, so the dimensions would be correct.

Whilst the items may look difficult to make, they are in fact relatively easy to construct, but as previously said a lot of patience is required. I think most members have this, and some of the models I have seen on this forum are superb!

Please contact me if further information is required; I have made a Sea Chest and Bureau for the Great Cabin, Sea Cot and Wash Basin for the Stateroom, and a Welsh Dresser, Table and four Chairs for the Coach Cabin.

View attachment 240872View attachment 240871
Wow , really amazing and beautiful work

In my HMS Fly build I have incorporated the Great Cabin, Stateroom and Coach Cabin, and into each of these cabins I have constructed 1:64 scale furniture using acetate film, and a combination of Paint Shop Pro graphic design and origami with a plastic film.

A sharp craft knife and good eyesight is essential and lots of patience. I have made 9 pieces of furniture for the three cabins and this has taken me 2 years, and the irony is they will only really be seen by “God”!

The chairs are 1:64 scale replicas of a set owned by Lord Nelson, and this is a good example of how using a graphic design package can give a different perspective to modelling. My wife and I went to see the actual chair at the Royal Maritime Museum Greenwich, London, so the dimensions would be correct.

Whilst the items may look difficult to make, they are in fact relatively easy to construct, but as previously said a lot of patience is required. I think most members have this, and some of the models I have seen on this forum are superb!

Please contact me if further information is required; I have made a Sea Chest and Bureau for the Great Cabin, Sea Cot and Wash Basin for the Stateroom, and a Welsh Dresser, Table and four Chairs for the Coach Cabin.

View attachment 240872View attachment 240871
Modelling for god is great fun and a wonderful exercise in self-indulgence!
Take a standard kit and expand its potential and create something totally unique.

Cabin's​

HMS Fly is a standard AMATI kit that has been modified to include the Great Cabin, Stateroom, and Coach Cabin; these will all be furnished.

This video link of HMS Fly - Cabin's (2.20 minutes), gives a brief overview of this part of my build.

Polyamide thread which has been used for the Cannon Carriages, is also used for fixing the furniture to the deck.

Last edited:
Back