HMS GANNET

Just returned from Chatham, Kent and decided at last to having a go at scratch building HMS Gannet, a sloop of war or more like a Gunboat. Built in 1878 and has been restored at the dockyard.
Looks interesting and difficult so I hope I have a better result then the last disaster.
Will will see
Keep safe
Paul

sounds like a very interesting project - so I am looking forward to see and read about your research and build

sounds like a very interesting project - so I am looking forward to see and read about your research and build
Hello Uwek
Saw this ship a few months ago ago and thought it looks interesting. So after my disaster with SS Great Britain I thought let's see if I can get back to my mediocre boat building.
Not many plans or old photos, a bit of a not many people know it, lost in the amount of HMS Ships!
Maybe back again when the basic hull is done.
Paul

Hi Paul,
It's might help.

Hi Martin
Thanks for your help
Bought this book a few months ago, excellent model builder this William Mryll is.
I could not build models to his high degree of skill, I would not be able to use the machines he uses even!
I will just build to the restoration done in Chatham dockyard as it is today and to my capabilities if possible.
Did you look at my disaster with SS Great Britain circa 1860?
Paul

Hi Paul,
As you may know I am new to this site and still finding my way around so could you point me to your SS Great Britain build log.

Hi Paul,
As you may know I am new to this site and still finding my way around so could you point me to your SS Great Britain build log.
Hi Martin
I'm not too good on the website but I think if you search for SS Great Britain c.1860 it should come up.
I just meant when I mentioned it is that sometimes you get fed up with the project your working on.
These photos are later on the build.
Paul

Hi Paul,
I have had a quick look at your SS Great Britten build.
Personally I think you did a fantastic job on her.
I know only to well what you were going through.
I too have built boats/ships that just did not want to be built and fight you all the way and it ends up a real unenjoyable battle to get it finished.

You must put it behind you and treat it as if it was a practise piece.
Now to get back on topic.
I wish you luck with this build and I will be here supporting you all the way.

Acabo de regresar de Chatham, Kent y finalmente decidí intentar construir desde cero el HMS Gannet, una balandra de guerra o más como un barco de guerra. Construido en 1878 y ha sido restaurado en el astillero.
Parece interesante y difícil, así que espero tener un mejor resultado que el último desastre.
se verá
Mantente a salvo
Pablo
Veremos....

Veremos....
Hola Juan
Paul here
Strange to have my HMS Gannet translated to Spanish?
Is it for your Spanish speaking friends?
I lived in Lanzarote for 15 years and my best friend was Spanish but my Spanish is not very good! so I had to translate your letter into English
Nice to hear from you
Still miss Espana

Hi Martin
I'm not too good on the website but I think if you search for SS Great Britain c.1860 it should come up.
I just meant when I mentioned it is that sometimes you get fed up with the project your working on.
These photos are later on the build.
Paul
I would not name it "disaster" .....

I just checked the NMM web-page

The museum has a lot of of contemporary drawings, which could be ordered from them
Unfortunately these drawings are not uploaded to see on the Computer, but it would be good to contact them - they are very helpful

But you find the drawings listed

as an example you can see this one here:

Screenshot 2022-10-17 110543.png

Inboard profile plan for HMS ‘Gannet’ (1878)​

J.H. Elliott

or these
Screenshot 2022-10-17 110652.png

Screenshot 2022-10-17 110717.png

Screenshot 2022-10-17 110734.png

Hola Juan
Pablo aquí
¿Extraño tener mi HMS Gannet traducido al español?
¿Es para tus amigos de habla hispana?
Viví en Lanzarote durante 15 años y mi mejor amigo era español, ¡pero mi español no es muy bueno! así que tuve que traducir tu carta al inglés
Encantado de saber de ti
Todavía extraña España
Hola Paul,No te preocupes por el idioma pues tengo un traductor eficaz, a veces traduce palabras técnicas mal. Por ejemplo a las cuadernas les llama marcos, etc.
El Gannet es un barco clásico de líneas y parece que no es dificil

Que disfrutes que es lo mas importante
Saludos

Hello Paul, Don't worry about the language because I have an efficient translator, sometimes he translates technical words wrong. For example, the frames are called frames, etc.
The Gannet is a classic ship of the lines and it seems that it is not difficult

Enjoy, which is the most important thing.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not name it "disaster" .....

I just checked the NMM web-page

The museum has a lot of of contemporary drawings, which could be ordered from them
Unfortunately these drawings are not uploaded to see on the Computer, but it would be good to contact them - they are very helpful

But you find the drawings listed

as an example you can see this one here:

View attachment 334834

Inboard profile plan for HMS ‘Gannet’ (1878)​

J.H. Elliott

or these
View attachment 334835

View attachment 334836

View attachment 334837

Hi Uwek
Thanks for finding the plans for the Gannet

Thanks for the plans from Maritime Museum, kind of you, yes I have already downloaded these three drawing and had them enlarged to the size I want to build to. The hard part is designing the hull and usually I do it by guesswork and use lots of imagination! Just waiting for my Wood delivery.
Thanks again, keep well
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Acabo de regresar de Chatham, Kent y finalmente decidí intentar construir desde cero el HMS Gannet, una balandra de guerra o más como un barco de guerra. Construido en 1878 y ha sido restaurado en el astillero.
Parece interesante y difícil, así que espero tener un mejor resultado que el último desastre.
se verá
Mantente a salvo
Pablo

Now finished my usual very rough Hull build! It has holes, gaps and very uneven planking, so the hard work begins to try and make something decent out of it, I fancied building this model as I find the forecastle and poop deck very interesting but only temporary screwed down, also like the forward gun positions and high Gunwales.
Very difficult to build the Hull as I had nothing much to go by, the book I bought has a nice illustration of the ship which gave me a start, I also had someffaded plan which gave me the initial width of the top deck etc, the rest was guesswork and using my imagination. Although I had no plans for my scratch built Royal Clipper and HMS Warrior.

The temporary stand has been rescued from the wreckage of SS Great Britain! I will start adding and taking of wood before I put on the final planking.

So wishing all Members a Happy and HEALTHY New Year
Paul

20230101_082116.jpg20230101_082203.jpg20230101_082056.jpg20230101_082645.jpg

Back