HMS Kingfisher/ King's Fisher - Tedboat [COMPLETED BUILD]

So many comments and likes! - I'm overcome!
Thanks to all for your encouragement - it is much appreciated.

I had serious doubts about my ability to paint the frieze, but thought I would give it a try, as I could always paint over it if it looked terrible.
I actually followed the directions given in David Anscherl's book on Swan class sloops, and started by taping a photocopy of the frieze shown in his book onto the hull just below the position of the actual frieze panel.
I then painted the panel with Admiralty Paints, Dark Blue. The basic shape of the frieze was then filled in with a mix of yellow and earth ochre following the pattern and my own imagination. Highlights were added using yellow ochre and a dash of white, and shadows were introduced using earth ochre with a dash of black. The overall idea is to give the frieze a sense of depth.
When painting the highlights and shadows, decide where the light is coming from and be consistent.

Tony; Sadly, Bob Hunt sold the rights to produce his kits to an outfit called Royal Shipyard of Plymouth some years ago. They were going to take over production of the kits, but it never happened, and they now seem to have disappeared off the web.:confused:

One thing to note - I have found that as the build nears it's end and I'm doing more of the fiddly bits, that the errors you have made earlier come back to haunt you. Consequently, you might find that the pieces in this or any other kit don't fit as well as you would like, and you have to start scratchbuilding in earnest.
This is not a reflection on the kit, which is brilliant, but all the headworks, most of the stern, and lots of other smaller parts have been scratchbuilt.

IMG_7704.JPG

Hello All,
I'm sorry I have not posted any pictures since mid-September. SWMBO (Ann) has been very unwell for the last two months, and most of my time has been spent looking after her.
However, I have managed a bit of work on King's Fisher, and she's very nearly complete. All I have to do is sort out her figurehead, decide what pieces I will put on the base (cannon, anchors and so on) and do the big clean with compressed air, brushes and vacuum cleaner!
I'm currently working out the best way to light her when she is sitting in my full height bookcase - LED light string appears to give the most even light (and the coolest), but I need to recess them into the shelves top and bottom so you can't see the actual lights.
Anyway, on to some photos.

IMG_7817a.jpg
Gunport lids. The odd-shaped lid on the right with the out of line straps is for the small port in the bows.

IMG_7875.JPG
Lids in position.

IMG_7925a.jpg
Standards to hold the hand-guns, channels and dead-eye strapping.

IMG_8011.JPG
Set up on keel blocks, with shoring to keep her upright.

IMG_8015.JPG
Blunt end

IMG_8016.JPG
Sharp end, missing figurehead

IMG_8020.JPG
Port side of sharp end. The boxwood with sealer giving just the tone I wanted

IMG_8027.JPG
The whole reason for the ship - the cannon.

All for now, hope you like her!

I am kind of awe struck, WOW, does not do justice to this build. You are a true craftsman! Anyone can build a kit, however, not everyone can create a work of art. Now, is this a kit or plans, I mean did you have to make that amazing jig, or was it part of the kit? Anyhow, I am honored that you have commented on my amateur builds.

Many thanks Shane!
As Mike says, the kit came from Bob Hunt at Lauck Street Shipyard about ten years ago (Yes, it has taken me about seven years to build it!)
To my mind the use of boxwood really 'makes' the model - it means edges are sharp, and no 'furring' of surfaces.
Glad you like her

Ted

Back