HMS Kingfisher/ King's Fisher - Tedboat [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Ted, What a great job you are doing on your Kingfisher and your speed is over whelming me as it just seams like yesterday that you started her. Been caught up in my own little world this last year and have not checked the SOS Form very much at all and was very much surprised at all of that great work you have did on your ship, Well Done.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ted, What a great job you are doing on your Kingfisher and your speed is over whelming me as it just seams like yesterday that you started her. Been caught up in my own little world this last year and have not checked the SOS Form very much at all and was very much surprised at all of that great work you have did on your ship, Well Done.
Regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,
Not sure 'speed' is a word I would use for my modelling - I've been building her for seven or eight years now!
Still, nearly finished - only have to paint the figurehead and she's finished. Photos will follow.

Ted

Hi Lawrence,
Not sure 'speed' is a word I would use for my modelling - I've been building her for seven or eight years now!
Still, nearly finished - only have to paint the figurehead and she's finished. Photos will follow.

Ted
Hello Ted, Sorry about that, I was looking at the beginning of the start of your log as of May 22/ 2019. My mistake. I quickly assumed that this was when you started your build.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ted, Sorry about that, I was looking at the beginning of the start of your log as of May 22/ 2019. My mistake. I quickly assumed that this was when you started your build.
Regards Lawrence

No problem Lawrence :)
By the way, seven or eight years is fast for me - the steam launch in my list below took me 25+ years! (Did do other things as well)

Ted

Just seen this thread. absolutely fantastic build of a great kit. Well done Ted.

Thanks Jim and Charlie!
Intend to keep modelling until my fingers grow numb.

Ted

Well, I finally got there - King's Fisher is finished!!!:D:D:D
The kit arrived from Lauck Street Shipyard on Christmas Eve 2008, and I began to build in late 2011. Ah well, eight and a bit years isn't too bad for me.
The first thing I must do is pay tribute to Bob Hunt, who produced one of the best kits I have ever seen. In it's time, it was at the forefront of the kit world, and it can still slog it out against anything available now. If anyone has this kit in their stash, then pull it out and make a start - the experience will be well worth it!
Likewise, the support and plaudits I have received from SOS since I joined two years ago has helped enormously in keeping going, and I thank you all.
I won't be starting another ship for a little while - SWMBO has decreed all the clocks in the house will work. I've already got one up and running (Very bad wear on the escapement wheel) and I've another on the bench at the moment having just been put back together after a complete stripdown and clean (and repair of the winding spindle holes - the ones that get all the wear)
I should be finished with the clocks by next week, and then turn my attention to the restoration of a 6-tune Victorian music box with organ that I started to restore before King's Fisher came along. That's going to take some time, after which I'm going to build a 1/8 scale Jaguar 'C' type engine from a white metal kit I bought from Germany about four years ago.
Then it'll be on to 'La Salamandre' (mutterings of SABLE from SWMBO)

Anyway, in the meantime I shall continue to follow SOS and see what you're all up to.

Finally, a selection of photos of 'King's Fisher' I apologise in advance - the photos don't seem very sharp to me - I've tried all three of my lenses on the camera, and they all seem the same, so perhaps it points to a problem in the camera body itself. Will investigate further.

Regards,
Ted

IMG_8048.JPGIMG_8052.JPGIMG_8054.JPGIMG_8064.JPGIMG_8066.JPGIMG_8072.JPGIMG_8084.JPGIMG_8175.JPGIMG_8179.JPG
IMG_8071.JPG

IMG_8089.JPGIMG_8108.JPG
Final resting place in the bookshelves. The naval gentleman on the left is a limited edition figurine bought direct from Alexander Kent some time ago, and is of course Captain Richard Bolitho.
Yes, I know he never served on 'King's Fisher', and I know a Captain would never be in command on a sloop, which would be a Lieutenants' command. But I like it!
The musket ball on the right is from the wreck of the 'Resolution', commanded by Admiral Sir Clowdsley Shovell, who hadn't the sense to listen to a local man, and promptly ran his fleet onto the rocks off the Scilly Isles.

IMG_8168.JPG
The Master Shipwright (holding the measuring rod) is looking totally astonished, as the Admiralty Overseer has just told him he was supposed to have been building a rowing boat!
(Think the dog is going to have to go - looks wrong)

IMG_8170.JPG
Every ship should have a cat! This is 'Bobby' who generally sits on my lap when I'm sitting at the computer. Trust him to find the warmest place on board, on the grating above the stove!

Hope you've enjoyed them!
Ted

Last edited by a moderator:
Back