HMS Kingfisher

I recently posted photos of the ship's stove, and was asked to create a build log. Well, here's the first attempt. This model has been "under construction" for the better part of a decade. It was started, and then set aside when I got to a place that was a bit confusing. A couple months ago, I determined how to proceed, and am now back at it. Progress is slow because my goal is doing the absolute best of my capabilities. Sometimes I'll start a section and then produce it 5 or 6 times until I'm satisfied. Far from perfect, but about as good as I can get. I really enjoy the challenge of being told, "It can't be done", or "that's impossible". We'll see.

The water way, the gun port stops and sweep port stops have been completed. Photos attached. Next up is planking the interior. The kit comes with just enough wood to do one side. I'll mill additional parts, do both sides and leave much of the deck exposed. Both sides of the hull are planked from the whales up. Milling and bending ebony was a challenge....16 guns are already completed, and will most likely be displayed. The ship will not be painted to enable all the details of carefully fitted wood and joints to remain exposed. No fillers were used in construction.

If anyone sees anything I missed or could improve upon, please let me know. It;s the only way to learn. Well that, and redoing a piece several times.

IMG_7925.jpeg

IMG_7939.jpeg

IMG_7937.jpeg

IMG_7940.jpeg

I recently posted photos of the ship's stove, and was asked to create a build log. Well, here's the first attempt. This model has been "under construction" for the better part of a decade. It was started, and then set aside when I got to a place that was a bit confusing. A couple months ago, I determined how to proceed, and am now back at it. Progress is slow because my goal is doing the absolute best of my capabilities. Sometimes I'll start a section and then produce it 5 or 6 times until I'm satisfied. Far from perfect, but about as good as I can get. I really enjoy the challenge of being told, "It can't be done", or "that's impossible". We'll see.

The water way, the gun port stops and sweep port stops have been completed. Photos attached. Next up is planking the interior. The kit comes with just enough wood to do one side. I'll mill additional parts, do both sides and leave much of the deck exposed. Both sides of the hull are planked from the whales up. Milling and bending ebony was a challenge....16 guns are already completed, and will most likely be displayed. The ship will not be painted to enable all the details of carefully fitted wood and joints to remain exposed. No fillers were used in construction.

If anyone sees anything I missed or could improve upon, please let me know. It;s the only way to learn. Well that, and redoing a piece several times.

View attachment 426814

View attachment 426817

View attachment 426818

View attachment 426819
Hi DF Mc, could you post the longitudinal view of the drawing? Thank you , Frank

Very good and clean work - I am very happy to see another Kingfisher
and btw: a warm welcome here on board of our forum

View attachment 426814

View attachment 426817

View attachment 426818

View attachment 426819
Hallo @D F Mc
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back