HMS Leopard - 50-gun Ship

Hello ! I am planning to build a POF of HMS Leopard (1/48 scale) and the plans I have at the moment do not show the location of all the frames, their width, or the spacing between the frames. Anyone with more info on the subject ? Thanks if you do reply. ( I have the book "The 50-gun Ship" by Rif Winfield with J. McKay's drawings).

Hello ! I am planning to build a POF of HMS Leopard (1/48 scale) and the plans I have at the moment do not show the location of all the frames, their width, or the spacing between the frames. Anyone with more info on the subject ? Thanks if you do reply. ( I have the book "The 50-gun Ship" by Rif Winfield with J. McKay's drawings).
Did you check already our area "Ships history and research"?

and at the NMM:

j3575.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the framing profile (disposition) for Hannibal (1779), Jupiter (1778), Leander (1780), Adamant (1780), and Europa (1783), all 50-gun Fourth Rate, two-deckers.

The book review of the book you mentioned can be found here:

Last edited:
Did you check already our area "Ships history and research"?

and at the NMM:

View attachment 110458
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the framing profile (disposition) for Hannibal (1779), Jupiter (1778), Leander (1780), Adamant (1780), and Europa (1783), all 50-gun Fourth Rate, two-deckers.

The book review of the book you mentioned can be found here:

Thanks Uwek. I do have Winfield's book and I did check"Ships history and research"about that ship but I need more details (stern and bow frames as well...). Thanks again for your reply.

Thanks Uwek. I do have Winfield's book and I did check"Ships history and research"about that ship but I need more details (stern and bow frames as well...). Thanks again for your reply.
Did you try to contact the author?

Hello Calista,
I just recently registered on the forum here and have just noticed your intention to build a model of HMS Leopard.
It's just a month or so since I completed my Leopard (from Winfield's book and McKay's drawings) although mine is a PoB and only at a scale of 1:80. Even though I only had to make bulkheads there were other aspects of the build with which I had to be a bit inventive.
Looking at the frame drawing that Uwe has posted above would it be possible for you to adapt that to the plans/drawings that you already have to create a PoF model?
I see you plan to build at 1:48 ~ I hope you have plenty of space! My 1:80 model required a case with a length of 1 metre so yours will need something closer to 2 metres long and about 1.5 metres high!
I'm keen to see your build log ~ I hope you intend to post it here?

Hello Calista,
I just recently registered on the forum here and have just noticed your intention to build a model of HMS Leopard.
It's just a month or so since I completed my Leopard (from Winfield's book and McKay's drawings) although mine is a PoB and only at a scale of 1:80. Even though I only had to make bulkheads there were other aspects of the build with which I had to be a bit inventive.
Looking at the frame drawing that Uwe has posted above would it be possible for you to adapt that to the plans/drawings that you already have to create a PoF model?
I see you plan to build at 1:48 ~ I hope you have plenty of space! My 1:80 model required a case with a length of 1 metre so yours will need something closer to 2 metres long and about 1.5 metres high!
I'm keen to see your build log ~ I hope you intend to post it here?
Hello and thank you for your interest ! The project has been put aside for the moment. I'll let you know when I shall start it. Into historical figurines at the moment...

Hello Calista,
Just back from holiday. Over on MSW forum there is a builder who is scratch-building an HMS Leopard and is doing it part frame and part bulkhead. The framed section isn't 'fully-framed' but his system may be some sort of a guide as to how to draft up the frames.
You may find it interesting to have a look at his build. I hope I'm not infringing any rules here by posting a link to that build log.
(If the link isn't allowed, admin can remove it?)

JIm.

Hallo @calista ,
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back