HMS Ontario 1780 Cross Section scale 1:32 1.0(Version 1)

Hi Jim,
I will be using bamboo for the treenails. The deck planking is white pine, first time to use pine for planking.
Hi Dave,
The drawings that McKay did show heavy beams and planking without lodging knees or ledges, Zoltan wanted to use them, so I made a layout for his main deck showing the lodging knees and ledges. They can be offered as an option in the drawing package. Do you think they are necessary?
Mike

Hi Jim,
I will be using bamboo for the treenails. The deck planking is white pine, first time to use pine for planking.
Hi Dave,
The drawings that McKay did show heavy beams and planking without lodging knees or ledges, Zoltan wanted to use them, so I made a layout for his main deck showing the lodging knees and ledges. They can be offered as an option in the drawing package. Do you think they are necessary?
Mike
I have not seen any navy board model without ledges ,but maybe I am wrong

Jim took the Wow out if my mouth.... it must have happened when my jaw was on the floor!:)Ok
I was wondering the same thing about the ledgers!
Again what a brilliant build!

Last edited:
Upper Deck Planking:
After adding the additional planking required for the windlass, the plan was used as a template for the vertical supports that attach to the lower deck. These supports should be installed before the upper deck planking. Hindsight 20 – 20, foresight not so much...
The treenails were added next, bamboo skewers were split and drawn through a for some fun filled hours then installed in the deck. The bamboo offers a nice contrast to the pine.
IMG_2572.JPGIMG_2573.JPGIMG_2574.JPGIMG_2575.JPGIMG_2576.JPGIMG_2577.JPGIMG_2578.JPGIMG_2579.JPGIMG_2580.JPGIMG_2581.JPGIMG_2582.JPG

Hi Dave,
The barrow is beech wood, the columns and horizontal supports are blood wood, the brake is ebony. After it is assembled and installed, I will post some photos latter today.
Have you done anything with the boats? Any problems with the drawings? Some progress photos would be great.
Mike

Sounds good, Mike!
I haven't really gotten into the boats yet. I've been working on the Blandford, and have been in Arizona since the 17th. I need to draw plans for my keel clamp once I get back...then the boats!

I love your hatch grating! I understand the general principles, but if you're bored some day, it'd be great if you did a tutorial with all the lumber and saw blade dimensions and measurements for 1/32 scale grates. No pressure! They just look so nice.

Hi Dave,
Thanks, I usually make grating from boxwood, but I had some white pine leftover from a cabinet project and used it on the Ontario grating, it is easy to work with and looks good when finished.
I will be returning to Olathe Ks next week for a couple of weeks, I am helping a half dozen physicians with their golf memberships if you know what I mean lol. I have about two hours left on the windlass so it’s back to the shipyard.
Mike

Windlass:
The barrow was made by squaring the stock and attaching patterns to all four sides. The patterns show the location of the lines to be beveled, at 45 degrees I used a disk sander with the table set at 45 degrees to create the eight-sided barrow and hand files for finishing. The next step was drilling the holes and squaring them with a nail ground to four sides. The center section was turned next and the stops were added, I used ebony for the stops for contrast. The arm that rides in the stops is part of the belfry assembly and will be installed with the belfry. The last two photos show the windlass clamped and glued in place, I will post photos with the clamps removed tomorrow.IMG_2583.JPGIMG_2584.JPGIMG_2585.JPGIMG_2586.JPGIMG_2587.JPGIMG_2588.JPGIMG_2589.JPGIMG_2591.JPGIMG_2593.JPGIMG_2594.JPGIMG_2595.JPG

Back