HMS Ontario 1780 Cross Section scale 1:32 1.0(Version 1)

What is the little door in the gun port cover used for? Is it in the top or bottom of the cover?

I am not sure if Mike interpreted correctly what I was trying to say ,as remember and seen on most British ships at gunports there port linings as you can see on DocBlake’s Battle Station ,on Mike’s gunport there is no port linening,the edge of the planks flush with the gunport inner wall.

547681A3-DE53-44FA-9063-2A2CE3418260.jpegE5D7228F-1CB9-4957-8120-2EFC9E71D507.jpeg

G'day Mike
Firstly I'm sorry for being absent for a while. Been busy with home renovations.
I havta agree with Zoly when he said that he can't wait to have her on his table. I'm in the same boat!
Fantastic job on the whole Caboodles. What type of corkig did you use on the guns deck planking and what method did you use for the treenails?

Hi Greg, I used graphite on the sides of the planking and drilled holes then darkened the edges with a pencil, making tree-nails from bamboo is too difficult for me, I don’t have much strength in my hands any more.

Very nice work, Zoli. The gunport lid thickness is identical to the planking thickness, so because the framing is flush with the inside of the planking, the outside of the lids is flush with the outside of the plankings. If you want to be very precise, even the planks of the gunport lids follow the line of the outside planking, so with the exception of the small gap all around the gunport lid fits nicely into the surrounding planking. If the wales cross the lids (probably not with Ontario) a matching section of the wale is nailed onto the outside surface of the gunport lid.
Janos

Thanks Zoly,
a very good page you found.
this is one explanation for these small doors, but only partly correct according my knowledge. than these doors would be on all deck levels.
Because these small doors are mainly installed only at the main gundeck but not very often on the upper decks, there they had normal closed lids without these small doors.

1.jpg

2.jpg
For example the lids of the HMS Victory

For me the best understandable explanation for this circumstance (only at lowest gun-deck) is:

When the ship is sailing without having action or training for action (which was 99% of the time) these lids of the lowest deck were closed,
the only ventilation was to the other upper decks were only via the gratings - and these small doors !
But I will check this / my opinion once more during the evening, with looking into different publications

Refering the gun port inner lining:
In my opinion, they have to be there, maybe only small difference, but it was technically necessary.
Without this lining the lid would be not fixed or locked and would swing with every movement of the ship.
In addition with this lining, an additional safety is given, that the seawater is not coming into the ship during heavy sea - because of this step in cross section you have better waterstop.

IMG_277411.jpg
a very good cross section from Boudriots 74-gun ship publication

and once more the Victory
3.jpg

gunport lid thickness is identical to the planking thickness,
I completely agree with @janos explanations - you can see this on all photos of the Victory

4.jpg

Hi Zoltan,
Since we have solver the little door mystery by identifying the illuminator and cover over hole to take end of rammer while gun port is closed, should we include this detail in our models? John McKay did not show them on his drawings but if the Ontario had them, I would like to add them to the models. I will make a scale detail drawing of the gun port assembly if we decide to add the little doors.

Back